Plumbing and strata

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, not sure where to put this.

My PPOR is part of a complex of 10 and operates with a self managed strata arrangement. A few weeks ago one of the toilets blocked, so we called a plumber ourselves and paid for it. Two weeks later it blocked again, so we called a different plumber who used a camera to investigate the blockage, turns out to be tree roots from trees on common property. We told the strata chair plumber would be coming. $800 bill later and strata wants US to pay for it because calling the plumber was instigated by us and not them (they have a preferred plumber). What?? Can they do this? I don't recall them having an exclusive agreement with any tradies. Maybe I should have called strata first, but this is my first strata property (only bought this year) and I'm used to just calling someone myself when something breaks down. Should it matter? In any case, I'd only be willing to pay the difference if any between the $800 and whatever their preferred plumber would have charged for the same thing.

Where do I stand?

Cheers

Hi V

Bottom line 'it is a strata issue'. Even in the first place that your toilet was blocked as the whole sewer pipe from the toilet connection and onwards is under the strata.

Being on a few Executive committees we do try too scare the owners/tenants if they have abused the use and thrown female products or grease down the toilet. Had one where the grease had solidified in the bowl and they wanted strata to clear it. But overall the sewer pipe is a strata maintained issue.

I am confused as to why you say the block is self managed and then refer to a strata manager?

I have just had my back yard ripped up in a townhouse due to a sewer problem in the unit next door. This was a strata plumber and strata phoned me to advice that strata appointed plumber would be doing this.Problem is that they don't fix up any private improvements that are in the way. We didn't have any apart from grass so not a problem. Last time this happened they didn't even fill the hole properly. This reminds me to get PM to check the resulting carnage.

Anyway unless the 'preferred plumber' is documented you were not to know and more to the point when you spoke to the strata chair he didn't immediately advice you ( as no doubt he was going to try and get you to pay). Threaten to take them to the governing body in your state.

I had a termite attack on my back steps on another townhouse. The steps are part of my backyard and thus my property:eek:. They wanted me to pay for the pest treatment. I bluntly told them I wouldn't and then if they get in the house it is a strata issue. They quickly came to the party.

Cheers

Hi Handyandy, sorry about the confusion, it is a self managed strata and the unit owners get nominated and elected to the committee. So my neighbour is the strata chairperson.I thought it sounded a bit rich to have them ask me to pay for this! I certainly don't put anything down the toilet that doesn't belong there. Strata's argument is that the plumber I called was off my own bat and they obviously think he's too expensive so are trying to 'punish me' for my transgression. Anyway, thanks for that, I shall let them know to get their wallets out.
Cheers

Back