Plumbing Problems

Our tenant advised that the plumbing was blocked which came as a surprise because we had recently renewed all the plumbing, including drains. Expensive but necessary!

It happened on Australia Day weekend but the plumber responded very quickly because, I imagine, he had done the renewal. He was happy to report that the drains were blocked at the council end. Our 'new' system was working but the council sewers were blocked.

The plumber sent me a bill which involved his time and effort.

The failure wasn't my fault nor that of the tenant, should council pay? Has anyone had any experience with this?

I am pretty sure the council paid when this happened at one of our properties - but I think the plumber was arranged thru council or the water company (after a friendly plumber told us over the phone that our particular problem sounded like a council issue, so to arrange it thru them).

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks 'Y', I don't think I should just cop it! I wasn't negligent but, I guess, neither was the council. However, I have spent a considerable amount of money to ensure that the drains worked, why should I pay more to tell council that their plumbing doesn't? On top of that, I also pay 'rates' to have this guff flushed away properly. I think I will send the bill to them and ask them to pay. :confused:

Try to write a letter with particular stress that it happened on public holiday and there was urgenty to prevent damage to property, with copy of the bill.

(keep the original safe, if council needs it you can deliver in person or send in certified mail).

Having said that, I don't think they will budge. You will be amazed how many clauses there are to protect the Council.
But you can try, and best of luck.

Back