Plumbing Works - Is this a rip off?

Hi,

Not sure if this guy is ripping me off, any indication would be appreciated, plus this fella has attitude:

Doing a renovation and managed now to get kitchen and bathroom fully ripped out...so a clean canvas.

Installation of New Toilet (excluding toilet itself), Install Shower Waste and Gas Hot Plate & Oven Installation (connection) $1,300 EX GST

New Cold Water Pipes (Front and Side) $2,200 EX GST

Total $3,500 EX GST

Thanks.

What do your other quotes say?

pinkboy

Have not quoted others yet and many are still off on xmas/ny leave.

Used this bloke before for many other jobs, seemed market rate, but because his quality was quite good we stuck with him.

However, he has developed a real attitude and patience is wearing thin. Gave us the "proceed with quote or fk off attitude"...pushy.

We've questioned his pricing in past but wore it coz as I said earlier, quality was decent.

We had similar issues with a plumber that we had used for a long time. Costs were going up and up, and I believe we were paying him for his time when he was on our jobs, not working but directing other jobs from our site. We cannot prove that, but we jumped onto another plumber who is fantastic.

We used to not get quotes, but we now think we were being seen as fair game to load up prices. I know plumbing is expensive, but we were starting to feel ripped off.

Without knowing more, your quotes could be ok or they could be a rip off. Definitely get other quotes, especially if there is some "attitude".

We had similar issues with a plumber that we had used for a long time. Costs were going up and up, and I believe we were paying him for his time when he was on our jobs, not working but directing other jobs from our site. We cannot prove that, but we jumped onto another plumber who is fantastic.

We used to not get quotes, but we now think we were being seen as fair game to load up prices. I know plumbing is expensive, but we were starting to feel ripped off.

Without knowing more, your quotes could be ok or they could be a rip off. Definitely get other quotes, especially if there is some "attitude".

Kind of stupid business when you think about it....especially since they make a lot of $ off a regular client.

This bloke was actually recommended by a Brother in Law and re-recommended out to many of our family and friends, some of who have regular jobs since they own a lot of property.

If anything, I'd thought our close relationship would entitle us to cheaper rates rather than more expensive ones!!

What's he doing?

1) Doesn't sound ridiculous - is he having to put in new piping for the shower rose/taps/bath, vanity & toilet or reusing existing?

2) Is he replacing copper with copper or pvc? is access easy?

3) Has he included inspection fees etc

4) Charge out rates are charge out rates - most likely $65-75/hr + gst but in your case he has provided a fixed quote - if he stuffs up, it is his risk.

Hi,
Not sure if this guy is ripping me off, any indication would be appreciated, plus this fella has attitude:

However, he has developed a real attitude and patience is wearing thin. Gave us the "proceed with quote or fk off attitude"...pushy.

Personally, I think the price is the least important issue here.

If the guy has an attitude before the job has even started, do you really want to deal with the long list of potential problems you would open yourself up to if you sign him up?

It's not worth dealing with such people, emotionally.

Hi,

Doing a renovation and managed now to get kitchen and bathroom fully ripped out...so a clean canvas.

Installation of New Toilet (excluding toilet itself), Install Shower Waste and Gas Hot Plate & Oven Installation (connection) $1,300 EX GST

New Cold Water Pipes (Front and Side) $2,200 EX GST

Total $3,500 EX GST

Thanks.

average first hour 160-180
after that 60-90 per hour
is the toilet closed coupled? if so allow 2-3 hours if not allow 1-2 hours

cook top + oven? so its not a stand alone unit? the oven must be a wall oven and it's gas? :S most are electric

c'top 1-2 hours max for installation

shower waste is this him putting the shower base down? and is it on the 1st floor or is it straight onto a slab?

quality was decent.[/QUOTE]

decent doesn't really cut it ,if you felt he was pushy why go with him .give some other plumber a chance to show his/her worth .
and I am including her but I do know of some female tradies that use the gender to their advantage and screw customers anyway . ( in the nicest possible way mind you)

Maybe he's being pushy because the quote is fair, and he is expecting that you wouldn't feel like you should question it because of your history together?
(Not saying you shouldn't get other quotes and do your research...just offering a different perspective.)

average first hour 160-180
after that 60-90 per hour
is the toilet closed coupled? if so allow 2-3 hours if not allow 1-2 hours

cook top + oven? so its not a stand alone unit? the oven must be a wall oven and it's gas? :S most are electric

c'top 1-2 hours max for installation

shower waste is this him putting the shower base down? and is it on the 1st floor or is it straight onto a slab?

Toilet is closed couple. Assuming this $450.
Cooktop and oven is separate, the current layout of the kitchen doesn't suit stand alone units and we don't like the gaps anyway if we had one between itself and the cabinets. We got a Westinghouse gas oven, prefer gas.

Assuming 2 hrs for cooktop that is $360. Allowing 3 hrs.

Not sure what he meant by shower waste, it would be tiled I assume the pipe needs to feed back to the main waste pipe? Allowing that would be $270 assuming 2 hrs.

All up $1080 assuming INC GST based on your figures. He would be about $220 more exxy.

Back