PM doesn't check TICA

I'm thinking of rent out my unit and I've got a list of questions to ask prospective PMs. I've only interviewed one PM over the phone so far.

I asked if they check TICA when they're screening applicants and she said no and I was a bit surprised since she said they check out everything on the application and previous landlords.

Is it usual NOT to check TICA?:confused:

From their www page at http://www.tica.com.au/landlord.htm

TICA is a national central register of tenant's history. TICA DEFAULT TENANCY CONTROL SYSTEM allows over 12,000 property managers throughout Australia and New Zealand to access its database and inquire if a tenancy applicant has had any defaults registered against them or if they have a favorable comment recorded

also

How can I find out if my agent is a member?

TICA members are usually identified by the logo on the front door advising they are members. Some members do not advertise the logo or do not have a place for it.

Note that there are a few tennanct databases of varying size . Some are stronger in some parts of the country than others.

Your agent is probably not using TICA because they are not a member. However, they could be a member of some other tennacty database

there have been some recent laws introduced in qld that affect such db's and the information that they can store.

TICA is the main tenancy database in BNE, I'd be concerned if my PM wasn't checking it if I was renting in BNE.

Not everyone has the sticker on their door, we don't.

Although Gill is correct, they may be a member of another database, just ask them, they should be happy to tell you.

asy :D

Originally posted by jennyn
I'm thinking of rent out my unit and I've got a list of questions to ask prospective PMs. I've only interviewed one PM over the phone so far.

I asked if they check TICA when they're screening applicants and she said no and I was a bit surprised since she said they check out everything on the application and previous landlords.

Is it usual NOT to check TICA?:confused:

Property mangers should check out prospective tenats using an industry database and in QLD TICA is the largest, so it makes sense to use them, but there are other companies that provide a similar service.

These databases collect the history of prospective tenants and should be used as part of the screening process. They are also useful during the tenacy process to minimise the risk of defaulting, as tenants do not want to be listed on them as this might affect their chances of finding further rental premises.

Back