PM tried to take writen notice over email when there was none given.

Okay, so I just had a property manager try to take written notice over email when there was none given.

Is there anybody I can make a complaint to about this, as this is illegal.

I dunno Bon, my friend a real estate agent's PA, suggested REIWA (the equivalent for your state obviously) or another one REBA I think ?

sorry

He threatened me with a termination notice because I called him an idiot after he gave me some grief for not answering my phone.

Long story short is that a new real estate agent took over from the old ones who were aware I have a hearing impairment and couldn't hear on the phone, so they always contacted me via email.

I went into the office to meet him and explain to him I have a hearing impairment and can't hear on the phone once they took over from the new real estate agent, but he was rude and arrogant, dismissed me like nothing because he didn't even have the time of the day for me and put me onto someone else, who has been nothing but understanding, nice and incredibly helpful when I deal with her... but, she is only in the office 3 days a week part-time.

Anyway, after I called him an idiot he threatened me with a termination notice, I replied that he better give me 21 days at least since I go for surgery next week and won't be moving anytime soon, then he tried to take it as my written notice to vacate the premises via email when I didn't give any and email is NOT accepted to provide written notice.

I also know I'm entitled to 90 days notice as I'm not in arrears or in breach of my contract as far as I'm aware. For someone who is a JP, he is not acting with integrity or honesty and I'd like to make a complaint and take the issue further, whether it be with the Department of Fair Trading or whoever.

He TRIED to take written notice over email when there was none given and it is ILLEGAL to take written notice over email.

Surely the owner gets a say in the eviction of a tenant who is fully paid and I assume looks after the property?

You seem to have a lot of arguments with your property manager.

Been in this property for 2 years.

Old real estate managed the place for 20-21 months, never had an issue with them and they never had an issue with me... new mob has been managing it for 3 months and there are issues.

I would write an email to the property manager explaining:

1) You have a hearing impairment, and that all contact should be via email (not telephone)
2) that you apologise for calling him an idiot
3) that you have not given notice to vacate via email or any other method; and that when and if you give notice to vacate it will be in writing as per the ACT and not via email.
4) that you hope to remain at the property for a long time and would like to have a good relationship

Sometimes its best to take a step back and look at the problems in order to solve them, take a deep breathe and work out what are the issues and how can they be rectified.

Thanks for your suggestion, Collector. But, I don't intend to stay in this property and I'm planning to vacate soon anyway. A termination notice of 90 days would be the best thing I could get, because then I don't have to give notice before moving out and can look for an alternative property in the meantime. ;)

What I would like to do is make a complaint about this guy to the relevant authorities.

Breaking a couple of laws.

He asked that I do not contact the office in future for ANY repairs.

Tried to take written notice over email when there was non given.

He contravenes all the laws and my rights as a tenant.

From what you have written above I don't see that he is broken any laws. It just seems that you and him don't get along.

Back