PM tried to take writen notice over email when there was none given.

You can't text someone you haven't received a call from... and not everybody calls from a mobile phone, a lot of businesses still use land lines. I often get my parents or friends to make calls for me, but I don't get them to call back every number, especially when they don't leave a voice mail.

I have nothing to be sorry for, I initially went into the office when they took over the property from the old real estate agent to explain to them I'm deaf and cannot hear on the phone. Instead, I was met with rudeness and brushed aside despite the fact I'd taken the time and effort to walk into the office instead of phoning or emailing. He can stick it in his pipe and smoke it, then apologise to me. I have no problem moving out and letting him find more unemployed dredge like my neighbors to move in and pay less than what I do currently.

instead of letting these feelings build up and going to the effort of moving out, why not just try to be friendly with them? If you give in then they will change their attitudes too.

I know hearing impaired people who manage quite well, in fact, exceptionally well.

Must be something else.

instead of letting these feelings build up and going to the effort of moving out, why not just try to be friendly with them? If you give in then they will change their attitudes too.

Christ.. Did I ask for life advice?

Rent is going up. I don't think it's worth paying what I am currently, let alone more. So I made the decision to move. Moving is no big deal for me since my mate is a furniture removalist who will do it for free and the worst case scenario is I hire a truck and get a mate to give me a hand.

Anyway, I see nobody can really answer my question and seems more intent on telling me what to do. Thanks anyway, guys.

I know hearing impaired people who manage quite well, in fact, exceptionally well.

Must be something else.

Same here. I have had a deaf person call to book skating lessons. They use a message relay service. When tried to call them (didn't realise they were deaf), the phone gets diverted to an answer service, you tell them your number and then they call you back later.

Seems to work!

For what it's worth, Bon, you seem to take the aggressive route everytime. Not only with your PM, but also with people here trying to help. Take a chill pill.

It's not really about getting to the core, I asked for advice on where to direct my complaint(s) and all I got was people passing judgement. The full story is really irrelevant, unless you want to hear how bad the PM messed up going back a few months ago.

Your first post was one sentence and gave no background to what transpired before the final bit that has upset you. It appears the "full story" is extremely relevant. Why not post the fully story in the first post and then you wouldn't have had so many people giving advice that possibly would have been different if the "full story" was known.

And then you get your knickers in a knot when people try to help.

Sheesh!

I often get my parents or friends to make calls for me, but I don't get them to call back every number, especially when they don't leave a voice mail.

Sorry, still on a tangent:

The kind of people who don't leave messages really s*** me. There can be days I spend most of the day returning messages or the phone is off for a meeting for an hour or two and again after get tangled up returning the messages all the while more messages are building up!

If I string a few of those days together and then someone will get onto me where I pick up and they go: "oh you are a hard man to get I have rung you 20 times over the last 3 days". It's like wtf, I have never recieved a message from you in my life! How do you expect me to return a call without you leaving a sodding message. I might not be deaf but this requires more than a sense of hearing it requires mental telepathy to know to call these people back so I don't think you are alone around not returning calls from people who do not leave messages!

To the task at hand:

It is possible through your conduct you can rescind (I think that is the word?) a contract without giving formal notice of doing so. It is not a valid termination but this actually makes it potentially worse... I don't know if this area of contract law applies to tenancy agreements (quite possibly not) but I guess that is a potential risk to your situation. If I were you I would stick to the; I did not get a message and I could not give a fig if you want to install 10 smoke alarms, why would I care...

I think you will be right, but suspect they are trying to claim you have (rescinded?) the contract by your action of preventing them from upholding their end of the contract around a breach and using some correspondence you have sent them in an email as evidence of your conduct. This prevention of yours would see them breaking the law. Understand it turns out they were not breaking the law because you already had an alarm but I expect they did not know this? Also might not have been hard wired or some other technicality around why it had to be replaced?

Anyway good luck!

Bon,

Your deafness is clearly not something your PM has adapted to unfortunately, but your own intemperate written communications with him (let's just say I have deduced that from the tone and structure of your posts here) has undoubtedly made matters worse.

It genuinely sounds to me like it might be time for you to buy a PPOR, so you just don't have to suffer the irritations that come with being a rental tenant.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but it probably is the answer that will suit you best.

Is this in any way an option for you?

Okay, so I just had a property manager try to take written notice over email when there was none given.

Is there anybody I can make a complaint to about this, as this is illegal.

Personally, I would nothing.
If you want to do make a complaint, I would start with the PM's supervisor..or a tenant's union for advice?
No sense in going to the tribunal, as proper notice wasn't given.

lol.

The answer to my original question is to lodge a complaint with the Department of Fair Trading.

It's amazing how many threads can be made here by people questioning what their PMs are doing, but when I (as a tenant) question something by a PM, I'm a troublesome tenant. Sorry if I didn't appreciate the worldy advice you guys offered to try and smooth things over, but none of you answered the original question.

EOT.

Okay, so I just had a property manager try to take written notice over email when there was none given.

Is there anybody I can make a complaint to about this, as this is illegal.

Answer to your original question:

Fair trading

Real Estate Institute of NSW

But I doubt you will get any satisfaction.

As I can't see what the agent did to be Illegal, all it means as Terry said that any notice received was invalid

In NSW a Residential tenancy can only be terminated by the Consumer Traders and Tenancy Tribunal.

• If you recieve notice and don't vacate - agent applies to tribunal for termination.
  • If you give notice and don't vacate - agent applies to tribunal for Termination.

So if I was in your position and did not like the PM I would do nothing (except notify him that you no longer have a home phone and that you can only be contacted via mail, email, text as you are hearing impaired)

If you PM pursues the matter he/she will need to apply to the tribunal and at the tribunal will need to show the member your notice to vacate, at which point the hearing will be dismissed.

I would also take some communication course for the hearing impaired and maybe an anger management class.

none of you answered the original question.

Phew, lucky for us, none of us are under any obligation to do so.

The answer to my original question is to lodge a complaint with the Department of Fair Trading.

Great stuff.....at least someone on the forum was able to answer your question.

If you already knew the answer you were looking for, it seems to me that it wasn't a question at all, more of a bleating whinge.

I agree, EOT.

Your first post was one sentence and gave no background to what transpired before the final bit that has upset you. It appears the "full story" is extremely relevant. Why not post the fully story in the first post and then you wouldn't have had so many people giving advice that possibly would have been different if the "full story" was known.

And then you get your knickers in a knot when people try to help.

Sheesh!

Yup, the full story from the start would have helped.

And for the record, when I said:
If you've got a problem with the PM, then try starting with his boss, that's the normal process. If you get no satisfaction, go to the state branch of the Real Estate Institute. It sounds like you're escalating a petty argument unnecessarily.

This seemed pretty good advice to me, yet you're claiming we didn't try answer your question?

This seemed pretty good advice to me, yet you're claiming we didn't try answer your question?

Sorry champ. You and someone else earlier in the thread attempted to help, but everyone else was more interested in being a sticky beak.

Full story is really irrelevant IMO, that's up to Fair Trading whether I have a legit complaint or not... I don't need feedback to tell me that the PM is in breach of my rights.

Back