PM's knowledge

Our Central Coast PM told us that they can't advise us on market rents as they are only in property management. What the...? Shouldn't that be part of their role? :confused:

What a weird response.

Have you dealt with that particular person before?

My immediate thought was "get a new PM" but maybe see if you can speak with someone else in the office first.

Yes - knowing how much a property should rent for is integral to a PM's role.

Cheers

Jamie

Yes, they should know.

Most agencies will pass you on to the BDM for questions like that, however as you are an existing client they should just tell you what it's worth. They would hopefully be telling you at every lease renewal anyway...

Seems odd to me.

Yeah it is strange. I think the problem is that even though we engaged the RE branch closest to the property, it's actually managed by a different branch, they're all related but the local knowledge is not there. Maybe it was a miscommunication. We only changed PMs recently. Never mind, I'll just rely on my own research and leave them to break the news :D

Our Central Coast PM told us that they can't advise us on market rents as they are only in property management. What the...? Shouldn't that be part of their role? :confused:
A common response I receive from sales agents as they 'only handle sales' with the implication being that they just don't know their market that well.

As Matty mentioned perhaps they have a different section that handles market rents and they 'only do inspections/tenant requests' or something similar, would be worthwhile clarifying.

Even a fob-off response like "I'll look at a couple of recent renewals/new leases & get back to you" or "I will get one of the leasing guys to call you" is better than that response.

Either they don't know their market, company policy or are simply the wrong person to manage your property.

Just because they happen to be closest to your investment doesn't mean that you get the best service.

A common response I receive from sales agents as they 'only handle sales' with the implication being that they just don't know their market that well.

More to the point, they are negotiators - they don't care about price but are more interested in closing a deal. Price is secondary, closing the sale is what they're concerned about as it means $in their pocket.

Are they located on the northern part of the Central Coast by any chance?

Potentially not affiliated with a franchise?

I'd rather not say - to be fair over 8 years we've been through 3-4 agencies in the area and all have been less than great. We get much better service in Sydney Inner- and Outer-west. Maybe it's the sleepy nature of the location that reflects in the service?

Back