pool- cheaper to fence or fill?

Hi

We have little kids and are interested in a property which coincidentally comes with an unfenced pool. If we bought it, we'd extend the house in a few years' time removing the pool.

As an interim measure, is it cheaper/faster to fence the pool or fill it in?

Thank you.

I would guess it is cheaper to fence than to fill/remove. I'm not sure if you can just "fill in" without breaking the concrete.

If you fence it, your kids might like it too much and you could have problems down the track filling it in :D.

Once kids get to mid-teens they tend (generally) to lose interest. We did once we got to mid-teens, and my kids have, and a friend just sold their house with pool to move to a house without a pool because their 12 and 14 year old kids tended not to swim much anymore. There were other reasons for the move, but maintaining the pool was up there with the list of reasons.

With regards to our pool we were quoted $5,900 to knock the capping, drill holes in the bottom and fill in.

Our council allows the fill in of concrete pools and not fibreglass. Other councils require you lodge a submission so speak to them first.

We ended up not filling ours but rather converted it to salt water, had a capping placed on and fenced for $2.800.

Drain it

Cheapest option I imagine is to just drain it of water and leave empty - Note this is the cheapest option and not sure you want an empty pool in your yard though if your kids are into skateboarding :)

Also not sure on the legality of this I'm assuming a pool with no water bypasses the legislative need for fencing but I also think a big hole in the ground is a health and safety risk on its own. But without the need for pool fencing you could just put some chickenwire fencing up or something cheaper as a stop gap measure until you do your extension.

Other plus is you put a floating floor over it and make a deck possibly with a ship style deck hatch for inbuilt storage! the possibilites are endless ;)

Last edited:
Hi

We have little kids and are interested in a property which coincidentally comes with an unfenced pool. If we bought it, we'd extend the house in a few years' time removing the pool.

As an interim measure, is it cheaper/faster to fence the pool or fill it in?

Thank you.

Why not simply get a quote from a company like Atrak and find out? I'm sure there'd be similar companies down in Melbourne.
http://poolexcavations.com.au/about/

Cheapest option I imagine is to just drain it of water and leave empty - Note this is the cheapest option and not sure you want an empty pool in your yard though if your kids are into skateboarding :)

Also not sure on the legality of this I'm assuming a pool with no water bypasses the legislative need for fencing but I also think a big hole in the ground is a health and safety risk on its own.

MBRC council will complain to you about possible mosquito problem. Just fill it

As has been mentioned you would need to work out if you can have the pool empty i know that your not meant to drain inground pools as they can collapse inwards or underground water can push them out of the ground.

Just something to consider if you were thinking the cellar or empty options

As has been mentioned you would need to work out if you can have the pool empty i know that your not meant to drain inground pools as they can collapse inwards or underground water can push them out of the ground.

Can you elaberate more on this? I know someone who is about to drain a large concrete pool and it sits on a very high water table. What could be the concequences of this?:eek: Will we see an uprising:eek:
cheers

That’s interesting and good to know. I once did see a home improvement show where they put up a wall half way along the pool. It was structural, attached to the sides and water tight. That half was covered and became a deck or something. The rest was turned into a smaller pool with swimming jets. There were engineers involved of course.

Hi guys, probably a silly question. But I don't know enough about pools. What does it usually cost to drain the water?

Cheers.

I like the idea of a concrete lid and it's now a water storage tank.
Direct all the storm water into it, then the overflow back out to the street.

Never use/pay for town water again...!!
Apart from drinking water of course.:cool:

Sustainable eco friendly solution.

Back