Pool vs No Pool?

I am doing "house shopping" at the moment and looking at a few options.

One property has a pool and fully fenced yard with gated entrance. It has an old termite activity. Also this one is near the highway, and agent told me it is a bit noisy during peak hour although it's totally quiet inside the house.

The other property has a nice timber floor and fittings, but seems like a small backyard. no pool

Is having a pool that much more expensive and harder to keep? Or does it make not much difference yet you get to dip into it whenever you feel like it ?

I'd personally put a property with a pool in the 'too hard basket' if there are other suitable options out there. What it adds to the price of the property it does not return in rental yield IMO. Something like an ensuite would be better.

In my experience tenants won't look after it properly and it'll go green (my parents property, it was an old PPOR). If you 'sell' a property to tenants as it having a pool, then I believe you are required to keep it in good order. I know tenants are supposed to look after it, but who's to say it was your or their lack of upkeep that caused any problems? I think once they had to pay a pool service guy to fix it up and it cost a few hundred $$$'s.

Also, I wouldn't rent on a main road if I could help it (having said that, everything has it's price i.e. if the house if cheap enough and you could afford to charge a lower rent).

muppie said:
I am doing "house shopping" at the moment and looking at a few options.

One property has a pool and fully fenced yard with gated entrance. It has an old termite activity. Also this one is near the highway, and agent told me it is a bit noisy during peak hour although it's totally quiet inside the house.

The other property has a nice timber floor and fittings, but seems like a small backyard. no pool

Is having a pool that much more expensive and harder to keep? Or does it make not much difference yet you get to dip into it whenever you feel like it ?
Muppie,

It depends on what you plan to do with the property.

If it is to rent out to tenants then I would give the pool property a miss. Pools are cumbersome to keep clean, present safety issues (must be fenced off) and even then are not the wisest investment option. Plus you cannot just go in and take a "dip" whenever you feel the urge; you will need the tenants permission and frankly I can't see too many of them allowing their landlord such priviledges (unless they are hoping for a reduction in rent as a pay-off).

I know you said the pool was fenced off, but as there was termite activity, it may need replacing, thus an extra (unwelcomed) cost to you as an investor.

Furthermore, the property is on/near a noisy street, and even though it is quiet from the street, would-be tenants inspecting the premises may get a bad first impression of the noise issues and overlook the fact that it is quiet once they actually enter the house!!! :(

Small backyards aren't as much a concern these days as they once were. DINKS, empty-nesters (or single child families) don't mind smaller yards, and in fact, prefer them as they are low maintenance!!! :D

At the end of the day, it is up to you, but it really boils down to WHAT your plans are for the property. If it is to rent, I'd give it a miss (some insurers charge a higher premium for pooled properties due to safety risks) BUT if it is for YOU to live in as your PPOR and you don't mind some of the downsides, then go for it....as long as you're happy, who cares?? :D

Whichever way you choose to go, with or without the pool; large or small backyard, I hope you remember to NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE NEGOTIATE for the best possible deal!!! ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Okay mupps,

Disregard my previous post, which you answered whilst I was still editing same. Although I will leave it there for anyone who may be tossing up whether their next IP should or shouldn't have a pool in it.

If the pool is for YOU and you are going to be living it in, then I'd say you will more than likely allow YOURSELF to take a "dip" in it whenever the mood takes you!!! I mean, who's going to stop you??? :D

If you can handle the "peak" traffic noise, and you want the luxury as well as the work that goes with having a pool......GO FOR IT!!!!

Enjoy!!! ;)

Most pool owner sooner or later will want to get rid off the pool (had one myself and it was great with small kids).

In the end a pool is risk and work.

I inspected the "fenced" property with the pool today... my gosh the reality is shocking. The pics look so nice but the actual property.... I wouldn't live in it even if it's free! So cross that one out but there's another property with pool too... in a more upmarket area, and no motorway! The only issue is that the house can be seen from the road even though it's fenced... must be very high on the hill or something... hrmmmm it's so hard to find the perfect one

muppie said:
still confused.... so should I look for property with pool or without? :confused:
Would you use it mup?

If you wouldn't then don't get one..........if you would go for it. :) It'll be great to help with those swimming lessons and for all those pool parties though. :D

Ruby said:
Would you use it mup?

If you wouldn't then don't get one..........if you would go for it. :) It'll be great to help with those swimming lessons and for all those pool parties though. :D
Not to mention keeping those toe tapping dancing limbs of yours nimble!!! ;) :D

Hi Muppie,

Personally I would look for the perfect house firstly and if it has a pool then that's a bonus. Our new PPOR has a pool, which never really came into the equation, even though it was 37 degrees the day we first inspected this property.

I always remember my friends who had houses with pools and the sheepish looks on their faces when you'd see how green their pools were after a lapse in maintenance.

Ok, now that we have a pool of our own I am familiar with the hassles of keeping it looking good , not to mention the $ spent on chemicals. I can tell you that there are days when I curse the pool and as it hots up there will be days when I am forever thankful that we've got one. I doubt we would have put one in if we didn't get one with our house.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers

Jared

i don't know why people complain of the maintenance. we have 9x5 saltwater pool and every couple of months i dump another couple of bags of salt in ($6/bag). whenever i vacumm - once a month in winter, perhaps twice a week when the gum leaves are shedding in summer (which takes me all of about 15 mins and is a lovely spent in the sun) - i toss a cup of chlorine in the corners to get the spots the filter system can't get at properly, the filter is on auto so comes on of it's own accord in the middle of the night and that's it.

small price to pay for the kids spending day after day in the pool over summer with all their friends and lazy evening for the whole family to float around in.

Back