Poor first home buyers Sydney

What does the cost of airfares or roller-skates from decades past have to do with the cost of property?
& I think it's reasonable to expect government policy to change in response to that.
Are you suggesting that the govt should legislate to prevent the current generation spending $$$ on cheap flights/iPhones and instead start saving to buy a roof over their head ?

Because if you want to make things just like they were in previous generations, that would be a great policy.... :D

All the people older than us lived a life where they could pay off a mortgage in less than 10 yrs for a detached house. Good luck doing that now.. Us young people are now buying elsewhere and renting where its affordable to live.. Older generations didnt have to do that..

You won't find a house under 400k in a half decent place even 50km from cbd now. At least Melbourne and Brisbane you can. Sydney is just an overpriced mess as prices dont reflect the quality of the suburb anymore whereas interstate they still kind of are..

May I ask who "all these older people" are who paid off a mortgage in ten years? My parents took out a 40 year mortgage in the 1960s, couldnt afford to live close to the Canberra CBD, so bought a less desirable property, took about 30 years or so to pay it off. They never bought investment property.

In 1999 I bought my first small 2br detached property on a 220m2 bit of dirt. It was not in the most desirable place, it was bought in a remote regional location for work alone.
The deposit represented ten years of savings while on part time wages or educational allowances.

After 3 years of working and saving hard, I had some equity. That was 2003.
Started collecting regional centre IPs on salary of $48k

Long story short, that little bit of equity, some hard work and some time

Had 4 IPs but sold 3 to finance dream PPOR
$825k PPOR fully paid off
$300k IP 2/3 paid off generates $20k p/a net

I'm so over this boomer bashing. I wasn't even a boomer until they changed the dates. Now I feel old .
I love it when they boomer bash.

It shows their ignorance.

Experts on an era they have never been to.

But we have, and we are living in their era now as well, so we have the luxury of knowledge of both eras.

I believe the "luxuries" of today are overseas travel and upgrading the car every so often. The things I think could be classed as luxuries (cable TV, mobile phones, new computer every two years) are not luxuries to my kids but things they would struggle to go without. But they could do without them if they really wanted to save hundreds per month to get into a house.They are all choices. My kids don't see these as luxuries. They are standard, but my kids also scoff at my $17 monthly phone plan. We each do what suits us, but someone with a $70 per month phone plan will get no sympathy from me when they could manage by using the home internet for rather than have both. They don't see it as discretionary. My kids will not do without cable TV either. Or a fancy car. More choices that take money every month that we didn't spend (didn't have a choice on cable TV, internet or mobile phones of course). They could downsize all that stuff or do without and save so much quicker, if they choose to. They don't.

It isn't just we baby boomers whinging. I believe this whinging thread was started by one of those younger folk? Yes?

The cost of airfares from decades ago is pertinent because compared to a flight to England today which can be bought for about $1.7K, the same flight would have cost me the equivalent "back in my day" of over $8K. I could buy a house or I could travel. I could NOT do both.

My 26 year old son has (within the space of five years) bought a unit, bought a house with his partner, done it up and sold it, and bought another house with his partner and they are looking at spending around $700K on a major renovation. It will be worth over $1.5M finished. They have been to New York on one trip (cheap airfares, stayed with friends most of the trip) and London and Paris. I say "good on them" but refuse to acknowledge when they whinge (and they do) about maybe not being able to afford a $40K kitchen. I say put on a cheap bench top until you can afford stone. They say "no".

They will not compromise on the quality of the finishes for the renovation no matter how much we try to hose it down a bit.

Aged 26, I had bought a quarter share in a house, half share in a unit (had to sell both when family members needed their money out) and my first "all mine" house for $46K. It was 7 squares (size of a smallish unit), hideous kitchen and bathroom. I couldn't afford to renovate anything.

So, you see the comparison of "extra" things like travel is very important because these days, many younger folk want both, and can do both because it is so much cheaper. And good on them. If I could have done so I would have renovated rather than travel, but I couldn't afford to do either. My friend's parents (now in their 70s) also could not afford a toaster and put it on hire purchase when they married in the 50s.

The comparison is not as a whinge, but to try to help younger people get some sort of understanding of how very different things were even 30 years ago. My kids are amazed that a toaster bought in Woolworths for $20 would one day have had to be bought on hire purchase with a signed contract.

I recall very clearly that once I had a mortgage, I had no discretionary spending money for many years. Then I married and had kids and it is really only when I hit my 40s that things freed up a little. Now I can pretty much do what I like, but it was the early hard work and sacrifice that has put us in this position, not luck.

I'm so over this boomer bashing. I wasn't even a boomer until they changed the dates. Now I feel old :eek:.

So many things have changed, not just house prices, that to compare today with even the 1980s is like comparing apples and grapes. It was just as hard back then, just in different ways. I couldn't easily et a loan as a woman for starters in the 1980s.

Cable t.v is certainly a luxury as is a 2nd car. However, I'd argue that phones, computers, and internet are essential in this day and age. I'm on a $40 a month plan but I don't have a home phone but I need a phone so people can contact me. Same as I need a computer and internet for work/studying because it's impractical using a library or a community centre.

As for myself I've never travelled overseas and at 24 I don't plan to for a while. I don't have a 2nd car and the car I drive is a 2002 Falcon XR6 VCT that I paid 5k for in cash back in 2013. Before that I had a 1988 Magna that I picked up for $1000 back in 2009 but had to get rid of it because it was costing more in maintenance than it was worth. I don't have much discretionary income either. I get paid fortnightly. Out of that fortnightly wage 50% of it goes against my mortgage (which is my choice) and than I pay another $240 in rent for where I live now. That gives me $530 to live on for the fortnight.

Since this is an economics section of the forum I'll add another point-

The other factor that doesn't get mentioned here is the precarious employment situation my generation has. The labour market has been deregulated so unlike older generations there is no such thing as a 'job for life' (excluding defence and police but even they had their generous pension schemes rolled back). I've committed myself to a mortgage but I understand why a lot of other people wouldn't because they fear becoming retrenched etc. In a way that's a huge motivation for me though because as Robert Kiyoski put it a JOB is pretty much just over broke.

Congratulations for your son though. He sounds like he's got a nice income and a good head on his shoulders. Not everybody in our generation is like your son though. Most people I know (especially the males) are either unemployed, working in dead-end jobs, or just graduates working in unrelated fields. There's a few that are doing successful but most of them are older and graduated before 2009 or they did apprenticeships and scored jobs in the mines. In hindsight I should've done a trade but the apprentice wages put me off doing that now.

Since the GFC the economy has been stagnant so it's the youth, people with low skills, and people with no experience who end up taking the full brunt of it. I know that sounds funny to say with unemployment being only 6.2% (7.2% in my state), booming house prices (in Sydney). However, Australia's economy only looks that good because of population growth. According to the ABS Australia's population increased by 354,600 people between September 2013 and September 2014. The extra 350,000 or so people a year is the reason Australia has not had a recession for 24 years and it?s why GDP growth is now around 2.3 per cent. On a per capita basis, Australia?s economic growth is among the weakest in the world, and per capita consumption growth is close to zero.

Here's an article that explains it more in depth http://www.smh.com.au/business/comm...-to-surplus-not-credible-20150531-ghccty.html

Australia_EG_LTU_STU_2004_2014.jpg

Edit- To be fair unemployment was higher in the baby boomers time over the last 30 years but it's the conditions and casualisation of the workforce, which Gen Y now has to put up with.

Australia_labour_demand_UR_1979_Feb_2014.jp_.jpg

May I ask who "all these older people" are who paid off a mortgage in ten years? My parents took out a 40 year mortgage in the 1960s, couldnt afford to live close to the Canberra CBD, so bought a less desirable property, took about 30 years or so to pay it off. They never bought investment property.

In 1999 I bought my first small 2br detached property on a 220m2 bit of dirt. It was not in the most desirable place, it was bought in a remote regional location for work alone.
The deposit represented ten years of savings while on part time wages or educational allowances.

After 3 years of working and saving hard, I had some equity. That was 2003.
Started collecting regional centre IPs on salary of $48k

Long story short, that little bit of equity, some hard work and some time

Had 4 IPs but sold 3 to finance dream PPOR
$825k PPOR fully paid off
$300k IP 2/3 paid off generates $20k p/a net

My parents who on 30k a year bought a place in Wakeley for 100k and paid it off within 8 years in the 90s and 2000s. Wasn't an undesirable location and wasn't the edge of Sydney either.

I know many other people who did the same and on one income..

I'm over with this topic now so please stop quoting me haha it's becoming repetitive

Cable t.v is certainly a luxury as is a 2nd car. However, I'd argue that phones, computers, and internet are essential in this day and age. I'm on a $40 a month plan but I don't have a home phone but I need a phone so people can contact me. Same as I need a computer and internet for work/studying because it's impractical using a library or a community centre.

My point was though, that I use home internet wifi rather than pay twice. It is a saving I can easily make and pays for something else I want. I could save by ditching the landline, but for now I keep it though choice but one day will possibly drop it. I don't need to double up and have huge capacity on my phone and my home internet.

As for myself I've never travelled overseas and at 24 I don't plan to for a while. I don't have a 2nd car and the car I drive is a 2002 Falcon XR6 VCT that I paid 5k for in cash back in 2013. Before that I had a 1988 Magna that I picked up for $1000 back in 2009 but had to get rid of it because it was costing more in maintenance than it was worth. I don't have much discretionary income either. I get paid fortnightly. Out of that fortnightly wage 50% of it goes against my mortgage (which is my choice) and than I pay another $240 in rent for where I live now. That gives me $530 to live on for the fortnight.

Since this is an economics section of the forum I'll add another point-

The other factor that doesn't get mentioned here is the precarious employment situation my generation has. The labour market has been deregulated so unlike older generations there is no such thing as a 'job for life' (excluding defence and police but even they had their generous pension schemes rolled back). I've committed myself to a mortgage but I understand why a lot of other people wouldn't because they fear becoming retrenched etc. In a way that's a huge motivation for me though because as Robert Kiyoski put it a JOB is pretty much just over broke.

Congratulations for your son though. He sounds like he's got a nice income and a good head on his shoulders. Not everybody in our generation is like your son though. Most people I know (especially the males) are either unemployed, working in dead-end jobs, or just graduates working in unrelated fields. There's a few that are doing successful but most of them are older and graduated before 2009 or they did apprenticeships and scored jobs in the mines. In hindsight I should've done a trade but the apprentice wages put me off doing that now.

My son bought his first unit on a salary of $38K and paid $295K. He is paid about $70K now. I don't call that a great income (and I think it is less than the national average?), but it is enough for him to make good use of it :D. He has no uni degree and is in his third job, gaining skills as he goes.

Since the GFC the economy has been stagnant so it's the youth, people with low skills, and people with no experience who end up taking the full brunt of it. I know that sounds funny to say with unemployment being only 6.2% (7.2% in my state), booming house prices (in Sydney). However, Australia's economy only looks that good because of population growth. According to the ABS Australia's population increased by 354,600 people between September 2013 and September 2014. The extra 350,000 or so people a year is the reason Australia has not had a recession for 24 years and it?s why GDP growth is now around 2.3 per cent. On a per capita basis, Australia?s economic growth is among the weakest in the world, and per capita consumption growth is close to zero.

Here's an article that explains it more in depth http://www.smh.com.au/business/comm...-to-surplus-not-credible-20150531-ghccty.html

Australia_EG_LTU_STU_2004_2014.jpg

Edit- To be fair unemployment was higher in the baby boomers time over the last 30 years but it's the conditions and casualisation of the workforce, which Gen Y now has to put up with.

Australia_labour_demand_UR_1979_Feb_2014.jp_.jpg

I understand we all have choices to make and have to work within the circumstances we find ourselves in. I get frustrated when he won't compromise on what he wants. We had to. He is lucky though that we have been able to fund him for some of his purchase and renovation expenses through a family loan. I didn't have that luxury. He and his partner are not getting anything more than a private loan. They pay interest to me because they are using a LOC that I'm paying interest on. Without this, they would have had to tone down their renovations. Is this a good or a bad thing? I don't know. They never miss a payment.

Water was free if I recall correctly in the 1980s. Now I pay almost $2000 a year per property. Yes we are allowed to charge tenants for their "usage" but the water companies have stitched up the invoicing process so that about 80% of the invoice is called "supply" which landlords in Qld are still expected by law to pay for.

I don't have any official stats, but I can retell what my first year of adulthood was like financially.

My income after tax was about $160 a week in a bank, same for Hubby when he had a job - he was the unemployed youth that we have today. We each paid $14 for the weekly train ticket to the CBD and we had one 7 year old car. We bought a 2 bedroom house about 25 klms from CBD which was out in the boonies in those days. Mortgage payment was about $260 a month and it would have been the same price to rent. Expenses that cost in the thousands these days cost in the hundreds - I'll see if I can recall a few examples.

Groceries and food for 2 - $30 a week. Now $300 for 4ppl
A full tank of petrol - $20-$30. It's now about $80
Council rates about $600 a year inc water, garbage. Now $1800 without water.
Car rego about $200 a year
House insurance ?? $200-$300
Electricity - less than $100 a quarter. I now pay $800 to $1000 a Qtr for 4 ppl
A new 26inch colour TV - $600 (A month's income) We bought s/h for $100
A holiday for two to the Whitsundays - $2000 which I had saved but used instead for the deposit on our house.
A washing machine or fridge - I used to pay maybe $700 each but got some awesome 'last years model' deals.

Cost of a typical new Commodore or Falcon - $16k. My s/h Toyota Celica was $3000 and lasted us seven years until child came along. Bought a Tarago for about $16K new in 1986. Back-traded it the following year to remove debt and swapped it for another old Toyota sedan which we drove for another 10 years.

I understand we all have choices to make and have to work within the circumstances we find ourselves in. I get frustrated when he won't compromise on what he wants. We had to. He is lucky though that we have been able to fund him for some of his purchase and renovation expenses through a family loan. I didn't have that luxury. He and his partner are not getting anything more than a private loan. They pay interest to me because they are using a LOC that I'm paying interest on. Without this, they would have had to tone down their renovations. Is this a good or a bad thing? I don't know. They never miss a payment.

True. It's a values thing. As long as their keeping up their side of the deal and making repayments I don't see why it's a bad thing. If your parents have the financial ability to help you and are happy to do so than it's probably a good thing because it helps you out. I'm lucky I live in Adelaide where prices are still affordable so I didn't need a LOC from my parents or for them to go guarantor or anything. They helped me out by letting me stay at home until I finished uni and if I broke up with my girlfriend they'd let me come back and live with them again so it's good to have that support network as a backup.

Jeezus, I think I would have a heart attack if I got a bill that high.

I do. try explaining it to the three males I share the house with, though :)

Would still prefer a Celica over a Commodore or Falcon! :D

Me too

Apparently I need ten characters outside the quoted bit

I don't see how people on the one hand can argue that sydney property has been a great investment, great growth etc. and on the other hand affordability is largely unchanged. It can't be both.

When we discuss the reasons why inner city property seems so out of reach for first home owners we often forget one important factor.
The Price of Energy.
As the price of Energy begins to rise steeply, which is almost a certainty, it will create enormous pressure to build up, not out. Population density will force the megatropolis of the future into higher and higher densities.

I now pay $800 to $1000 a Qtr for 4 ppl
We pay over $1000 per quarter for 3 people.

I don't see how people on the one hand can argue that sydney property has been a great investment, great growth etc. and on the other hand affordability is largely unchanged. It can't be both.

Yes it can.

When you buy property, most people only use their own funds for the deposit, and a lot of investors don't use any of their own money. Property only has to grow at the same rate as inflation for the purchaser to make a nice little CG, and as a bonus while you hold onto it, the tenant helps out with the repayments. If you've bought something CF+, you start making money on day 1. If it isn't, the governments offsets the cost by allowing you to neg gear.

We pay over $1000 per quarter for 3 people.

Yes it can.

When you buy property, most people only use their own funds for the deposit, and a lot of investors don't use any of their own money. Property only has to grow at the same rate as inflation for the purchaser to make a nice little CG, and as a bonus while you hold onto it, the tenant helps out with the repayments. If you've bought something CF+, you start making money on day 1. If it isn't, the governments offsets the cost by allowing you to neg gear.

You are not much of a capitalist if you think growth at the rate of inflation is a good return for holding property.

Those are some huge power bills... $250-300pq here for two people & gas comes in around $250pq on top.

That works out to be more than mine, per person. There are 4 of us at home, all sitting in different rooms using their laptops into the wee hours. Over Summer that makes two or three air conditioners going at once.

You are not much of a capitalist if you think growth at the rate of inflation is a good return for holding property.

Thankyou for twisting my words. I said it only has to grow at the rate of inflation, not it will grow at the rate of inflation.

The truth is that in some areas it will grow a lot faster than inflation, in some it won't, and in still others it will stagnate.

As for being a capitalist, lets say, for example, that I bought a property today for $500k, with none of my own funds, and the rent coming in covered all expenses. If that grew at a rate of just 3% compound, per annum, then yes, that is a good return, BECAUSE I'VE NOT PUT ANY OF MY OWN FUNDS INTO IT. It is essentially FREE money. Even if I'd put 10% in, so $50k, the rate of return is not 3%pa on $50k, it is 3% pa on $500k.

Thankyou for twisting my words. I said it only has to grow at the rate of inflation, not it will grow at the rate of inflation.

The truth is that in some areas it will grow a lot faster than inflation, in some it won't, and in still others it will stagnate.

As for being a capitalist, lets say, for example, that I bought a property today for $500k, with none of my own funds, and the rent coming in covered all expenses. If that grew at a rate of just 3% compound, per annum, then yes, that is a good return, BECAUSE I'VE NOT PUT ANY OF MY OWN FUNDS INTO IT. It is essentially FREE money. Even if I'd put 10% in, so $50k, the rate of return is not 3%pa on $50k, it is 3% pa on $500k.

And this is why being a property investor is so powerful. Say you take out a 80% or 90% loan, you are making your compounding 3% (or whatever) growth on money that's not yours. This allows investors to buy again and again from equity, and so its heaps easier for established investors to buy just from equity, and harder for first home buyers to compete as they generally have to be saving from incomes against us investors. Once you own 1 or more and ride a boom, you're set. Till then however...

And this is why being a property investor is so powerful. Say you take out a 80% or 90% loan, you are making your compounding 3% (or whatever) growth on money that's not yours. This allows investors to buy again and again from equity, and so its heaps easier for established investors to buy just from equity, and harder for first home buyers to compete as they generally have to be saving from incomes against us investors. Once you own 1 or more and ride a boom, you're set. Till then however...

You are forgetting that those of us with equity still had to save and scrimp to get our "first" property. It was not easy for us either.

Back