Poor negotiations - and repercussions

I was looking at one of the other threads that talks about negotiation approaches - and what peoples approach generally is. As that thread was about sales - I didn't want to hijack it.

I do want to share about the most frustrating negotiations I have ever experienced and was wondering if others have had similar experience.

I note that we have a property in Brisbane that we purchased with a view to allowing our daughter use if she attended University there. In the mean time, we have been letting it out in the corporate letting pool for the building.

There has recently been a changeover of caretaker with a purchase of management rights and the new management has been in the process of getting owners signed up with the new agency agreements.

Firstly the document was submitted to us - saying it was the same as our existing arrangement and all that was being done was a change in caretaker. This couldn't have been further from the truth - which I certainly let the new management know. One of the provisions we particularly objected to was a restriction on usage, we could only use the property for one week only after we had given one months notice of our proposed use.

We attempted to negotiate this term and others that were objectionable and the come back was a take it or leave it approach.

I tried highlighting that it is better to get a win/win for both parties than have such an approach - but that cut no ice with the management.

The upshot of it all is we have given the management notice and will take our property out of the letting pool and likely rent it with another agent if our daughter does not need to use it.

Have others of you had similar experiences? Where do some of these people learn their negotiations styles? and what does work well in situations like this?

I look forward to your comments.

thanks

Back