Posting to Sydney - Do not know suburbs too well

Just found out I'm getting posted to Sydney next year to the beautiful location of Randwick Barracks (I'm in the Army).

Now, I haven't started trolling realestate.com yet, but is there any suburbs in Sydney (not necessarily close to Randwick Barracks as I think they would cost + $1 mil) that I could buy under the 400k mark in a relatively crime free area and close to infrastructure (mainly train)?

I'm sure some of you live in Sydney and I would like to troll through realestate.com.au with those exact suburbs that you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Roachy

Sorry should have stipulated that.

We have a dog, so a house or townhouse/villa with backyard is most appropriate.

Roachy

Yeah sure will...just working out if I can afford to buy or if I'll have to rent. That's why I want it close to train line.

Randwick isn't anywhere near a train line, so you're likely to have to take a bus as well. For a house, I can't think of anywhere on a train line under $400k unless you go out to Toongabbie (almost Blacktown distance). A townhouse might be a better option than this sort of a commute.

Hahahaha, I love the dog and my Mrs loves him more than me. So the dog has to stay.

Just looking at Google Realestate at the moment and theres quite a few around Wiley Park. Noting that its near punchbowl and people like Trent from Punchy hang out there, is this a good place?

There are also quite a few up Parramatta way. How long would it take to get into the city from Parra?

There's a townhouse with an outdoor area for 320k in beaconsfield, looks bloody terrific. Cant get a link cause LJHooker site is rubbish.

You could get a townhouse under 400K just south of Parra. It would take approx 45mins to the city by train and then 15-30mins on the bus from Central to Randwick depending on traffic.

Can you increase your budget a bit cos that is a shocker of a commute.

Rents are quite low in comparison to house prices in the eastern suburbs so would you consider renting an old-style house 15-20mins south of Randwick? Some may allow a dog and it would mean an easy bus ride to work.

There's a townhouse with an outdoor area for 320k in beaconsfield, looks bloody terrific. Cant get a link cause LJHooker site is rubbish.

Sounds waaaay too cheap for Beaconsfield, especially for a 3 bedder with courtyard. The median for units in the suburb is already $460k. I can see that the ad no longer exists on the LJ Hooker site and the property didn't show up as a past sale.

In my opinion, Parramatta is better than Wiley Park or Punchbowl. It's on a better train line, is a major station on that line with fast trains (although that's something of an oxymoron with City Rail), and is a bigger business and shopping area. Parramatta Westfield is huge.

For City Rail timetable info, see here.

GP

I'll have a look around Parramatta, but I'm a little scared about the 1 hour travelling. I've never used public transport, but I guess you gotta get out of your comfort zone sometimes :)

Sub $400K bracket and you want a townhouse/villa (and note not all are pet friendly depending on strata bylaws) within an hr commute of Randwick?
Big ask!!
Parra and Blacktown regions would be your closest bets, besides Wiley Park/Punchbowl/Lakemba areas. My suggestion would be to rent first and take a drive around to see where you'd like to buy before making a purchase commitment. You may very well change your mind about buying until you can afford more. Best of luck.

Are you not able to receive relocation assistance through defence? Or DHA housing? Might be the better option

Yes, all Defence members receive relocation assistance and possible DHA residence or rental assistance. I can either take that option or buy my own house within the area, get a grant from Defence (around $16k), get the Defence Home Owner Assistance Scheme (Which is roughly $724 per month for me). I can then sell at the end of my tenure (2 years) claim as my PPOR and not pay CGT.

Basically, if I do the numbers correctly, I could possibly make some money from owning my own place and then selling in two years, if the right market drivers are in place.

G'day Roachy.

More importantly, you know you can't be a Broncos supporter anymore once you relocate. You'll have to go for the Tigers as ALL Sydneysiders go for them, ok ;).

Also, you'll have to go for the Blues. That transition shouldn't be too hard given they are the cockroaches and you're Roachy.

Yes, yes, I'll shut up now.

Regards
Marty

G'day Roachy.

More importantly, you know you can't be a Broncos supporter anymore once you relocate. You'll have to go for the Tigers as ALL Sydneysiders go for them, ok ;).

Also, you'll have to go for the Blues. That transition shouldn't be too hard given they are the cockroaches and you're Roachy.

Yes, yes, I'll shut up now.

Regards
Marty

Kiss fan,

You know that us Queenslander's can't turn losers over night and go for rubbish teams. By the way, this Friday nights game should be good between Broncos v Tigers. Ill be on here straight after to rub it in your face lol.

I dont think I have to say anything about the NSW team or do I?

lol

Back