PPOR - Each child have their own room?

PPOR - Each child have their own room?

• Yes

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ah well.. We (I and 3 siblings) grew up in a 1 room cum kitchen (like a studio here) .. It was just a single room .. call it living, bedroom, rumpus room.... with a wet area for showers and platform for the stove with under bench storage .. no toilets .. we used communal toilets :)

Each child have their own room - heck no!

Each child have their own room - heck no!

The deprivation of the most basic of human rights knows no bounds.

Every child has the absolute right to a palatial mansion and an accompanying ensuite with marble tiles and gold taps. I cannot believe what I am reading on this thread.

Shame on you !!

The only problem with fitting more than one child into a room is fitting their queen size beds in as well.

The cruelest of all is when young teens are expected to sleep in their original old timber/tubular single bed that they were given at age 10.

The only problem with fitting more than one child into a room is fitting their queen size beds in as well.

The cruelest of all is when young teens are expected to sleep in their original old timber/tubular single bed that they were given at age 10.

What??? A lot of the ten year olds I know have a queen size bed by then.

What??? A lot of the ten year olds I know have a queen size bed by then.

Mine had a queen at 6 when we upgraded our bed to a king ... but a few years later she decided to downgrade back to a single so she had more floor space to build her very complicated and intricate horse riding, agistment and vet stables on.

One of the reason for the "own" bedroom is that kids are staying at home longer. We were out by 17-18, whereas nowadays they're at home until mid twenties (with boy/girlfriends staying over)

When they are young, I don't see the big deal.

We actually moved out of our PPOR and into a short term rental (This year the school age kids are at different schools, next they'll be at the same one). We have 3 kids, 8 and under, a boy and 2 girls. So for the next 8-9 months, they will all share the one bedroom. They are fine with it. For the most part, they only use it for sleeping, getting dressed and storing clothes.

Even next year when we move, we most likely will be moving our son into his own room and the girls will stay together in one room for another 2 years or so. That is until we find a big enough place we are happy to settle into during their schooling years.

With that being said, if we had investments that covered their expenses and all of our expenses, we would be in a larger house with each child in their own bedroom.

Same issue here with 3 kids and 4 bedrooms. Each has their own room by choice but it's meant that I did have to give up a study.

Do you have room for a man cave in the backgarden? Or you could add a room onto your house which negates the need for stamp duty etc

Our bedrooms are not as large as yours and we are popping at the seams so looking for another PPOR. Plus with me now working from home I really need a place to run the empire from.
We should do a house swap for 5 years. :) I checked out your local high school at an orientation this week, they have a new principal (2 weeks ago??) and I'm impressed!
I have 5 bedrooms, 3 lounge rooms and 2 dining areas. There is room for quite a few cars. It seemed like a good idea when my son was 1 and daughter was 4.
Prior to that we were living in a tiny 3 bed house. I used to wonder if my mother-inlaw purposely bought the biggest toys she could find for the kids birthdays/Christmases. Got rid of most of the big toys now. I now have closed off one bedroom, one dining and lounge as I'm over cleaning!!! When kids were younger they'd put stuff all around one room, then move to the next. My next move will be a downsize. I have a couple of neighbours with houses the same size or bigger and they have 1 and 2 occupants. I don't really get big houses for small households.

With that being said, if we had investments that covered their expenses and all of our expenses, we would be in a larger house with each child in their own bedroom.

Did you mean, if you didn't have? Sorry, I didn't get your comment :confused:

Currently, I could (and am) spend money on various kids activities (e.g. sports, music etc...) without major financial impact. To me, that is far important than having a bigger house (bigger mortgage). Current home is manageable. We'll see how it goes.

Our kids have their own rooms with bed, chest of drawers, bookshelves, desk, etc, in them. Although our youngest still likes to be in with us more than hubby would like ;). Any toys, etc are in a rumpus room that is their 'toy room'. I don't think it really matters if kids have their own room or not when they're young, but I think it's nice if they can have their own private space to retreat to when they become teenagers. Our older two have queen beds (one is our old one and the other queen bed is a new purchase) as our kids are going to be very tall (eldest was just shy of 6 foot when last measured at 13) so it made sense to us for them to have bigger beds that they'd need in the not-too-distant future anyway.

We've got a large PPOR and I love it. We were in a much smaller house before this one and the lack of space drove us all nuts, especially when long-distance relatives would stay. Even though I'm not a hoarder and we clear out junk on a regular basis, having a house with plenty of room for storage is a must for us - especially for outdoor recreation stuff, eg. pushbikes, motorbikes, kayaks, surfboards, mower/whipper snipper/garden tools, fishing gear, pool gear, car stuff, etc. We are a 'home body' type of family and our house provides a lifestyle that we love and suits us.

Although no doubt when the kids leave the nest, we'll downsize as we won't want, or need, the space anymore. There'll be lots of travelling to do then... :)

Did you mean, if you didn't have? Sorry, I didn't get your comment :confused:

Currently, I could (and am) spend money on various kids activities (e.g. sports, music etc...) without major financial impact. To me, that is far important than having a bigger house (bigger mortgage). Current home is manageable. We'll see how it goes.

Fair enough, I'll try to make it a bit clearer.

1) Investment income > investment expenses + personal living expenses (inc mortgage) = Buy a bigger house now. Kids get a room each.

2) Investment income < investment expenses + personal living expenses (inc mortgage) = Hold off on bigger house until kids are older or investment income is higher. Kids share bedrooms.

So if scenario 1) was happening right now, I would be in that bigger house where my little kids could get a room each.

Hopefully that is a little clearer and more understandable. :)

Fair enough, I'll try to make it a bit clearer.

1) Investment income > investment expenses + personal living expenses (inc mortgage) = Buy a bigger house now. Kids get a room each.

2) Investment income < investment expenses + personal living expenses (inc mortgage) = Hold off on bigger house until kids are older or investment income is higher. Kids share bedrooms.

So if scenario 1) was happening right now, I would be in that bigger house where my little kids could get a room each.

Hopefully that is a little clearer and more understandable. :)

Ah, I see :)

I'm in category 2. One of my main goals is to get to Category 1. Financial freedom :D

Back