PPOR in Sydney Nth Shore

Budget $1m. Must be walking distance (max 1km) to a train station.
Looking for a family home. Need 4-2-2 at least and build within the last 10 years preferably.

Which suburbs to look at?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything less than 10 years old within 1km of a station for $1m in the lower/upper north shore. Unless you fancy main roads. Pymble, Turramurra, Wahroonga, etc are all well beyond $1m near the station.

A friend bought a place recently in Beecroft that fit most of your criteria - it was $1.1m and that was already 1.5kms from the station.

You should be able to get something in Pennant Hills, but would you still classify that north shore?

you might be able to get something in Lane Cove for that price but it wouldnt be something that was built within last 10 years

Not doable at all unless main road, perhaps you might find a dual occ. The other thing to consider is the state Labor government has waved its magic wand at the safe Liberal electorates on the Upper North Shore and zoned most the land close to station for hi rise deveopment so 'walk to station' homes are essentially being pushed further away.

Realistically with your requirements you have to forgo walk to station. You wont get 4 2 2 for your money on the Lower North Shore however you can buy in parts of Wahroonga, North or South Turramurra, West Pymble and St Ives.
And not have to deal with crap like this that is going on closer to the stations....

Attachments

• kuringaicrop-420x0.jpg
    kuringaicrop-420x0.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Nice crap that, equitymate.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I won't really consider Pennant Hills as North Shore.

Looking at Beecroft and Wahroonga atm.

Are you considering semis/duplexes? If you're looking for detached properties, I'm not quite sure you're going to find anything in Wahroonga or Beecroft within 1km of the station. In fact, that same criteria would not get you anything as far west as Concord West.

You might get something west of the Freeway and technically Wahroonga but is walk to Waitara station. I am thinking behind the Bluegum hotel down to Edwards Rd but to me it feels more Waitara.
Also Normanhurst shares the same postcode as Wahroonga and you get alot more bang for your buck.
Happy hunting..

Nice crap that, equitymate.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I won't really consider Pennant Hills as North Shore.

Looking at Beecroft and Wahroonga atm.

I'm curious as to why you'd consider Beecroft but not Pennant Hills? These suburbs sit side by side and are both on the northern line, all the way to Hornsby. Trains are frequent to the cbd on this line, as they also are on the north shore line. It's been my opinion for a while now that the suburbs between Hornsby and Pennant Hills (in particular Thornleigh, Westleigh, Normanhurst, Pennant Hills) represent good value when compared to those on the upper NS line (Gordon, Pymble, Wahroonga, Turramurra etc). You can certainly buy a home within walking distance of these northern line rail suburbs but obviously compromises will need to be made in terms of features, location and position. $1m still provides much choice however. Don't automatically restrict yourself to 1km from the rail, as, depending on the topography of the particular street, a home 2km away may prove to be an easier walk than an 1km hike up a street such as The Crescent!

Beecroft and Cheltenham have always been favourites of mine, with some beautiful streets containing gorgeous federation and older homes (eg Copeland Rd East) and Beecroft also has the advantage of a dedicated carpark (unlike Pennant Hills rail) however these suburbs are on a par with Epping prices now and $1m gets you something pretty ordinary for your criteria. Watch out for auctions in these areas- they tend not to do as well as their sister suburbs on the North Shore- largely, I believe, due to the general buyers in these suburbs. Most tend to favour private treaty- if you do locate an auction property you'd probably be wiser to make a pre-offer if you're organised enough.

Best of luck with your search.

Hi Jacque, I've always thought the Beecroft/Cheltenham premium was because of the Cheltenham Girls catchment.

Hi garbage

I'd say this certainly has contributed to the higher prices but it's not the sole reason. Beecroft and Cheltenham also are home to many prestigious homes (much like Wahroonga on the NS side) on larger blocks unlike their neighbours. There's still quite a no. with tennis courts and pools (I used to watch my father play many weekends on a gorgeous court at Cheltenham right next to the girls high school, when I was a child) and the general quality of homes is higher as well. That's not to say that Pennant Hills doesn't have comparable homes, however. There are some hidden gems and particularly well renovated weatherboard and brick period homes (on the east side of P/Hills and Thornleigh stations) that you simply wouldn't be aware of unless you were familiar with these areas.

I'm curious as to why you'd consider Beecroft but not Pennant Hills? These suburbs sit side by side and are both on the northern line, all the way to Hornsby. Trains are frequent to the cbd on this line, as they also are on the north shore line. It's been my opinion for a while now that the suburbs between Hornsby and Pennant Hills (in particular Thornleigh, Westleigh, Normanhurst, Pennant Hills) represent good value when compared to those on the upper NS line (Gordon, Pymble, Wahroonga, Turramurra etc).

Hiya

Jacque, i have to give kudos to your local knowledge of where i live (Pennant Hills)...

On a side note, not many people are aware of how close these suburbs (Pennant Hills, Thornleigh, Normanhurst) are to those on the north shore ie Pymble, Wahroonga etc.

One of my husband's old friends migrated from Europe and bought a very exxy house in Wahroonga on the north shore line; when he came to visit us, he nearly fell out of his chair(car??) when his journey took less than 15 minutes (Hint: check out the Comenarra Parkway!)....

As to prestige...Bah! Humbug! he reckons he has to work an extra 10 years for that!

Just one thing, my understanding is the upper North Shore line still has a much better train service in the peak period compared to the upper Northern line. I think the Northern line is limited to 4 trains per hour peak or off peak, the upper North Shore has up to 15 trains in peak but the same 4 trains off peak. However unlike the upper North Shore line the upper Northern line is great for people who work in Macquarie Park/ North Ryde if that is of value. Whether this changes when the North West rail line is built is another question.

Jacque, i have to give kudos to your local knowledge of where i live (Pennant Hills)...

On a side note, not many people are aware of how close these suburbs (Pennant Hills, Thornleigh, Normanhurst) are to those on the north shore ie Pymble, Wahroonga etc.

One of my husband's old friends migrated from Europe and bought a very exxy house in Wahroonga on the north shore line; when he came to visit us, he nearly fell out of his chair(car??) when his journey took less than 15 minutes (Hint: check out the Comenarra Parkway!)....

As to prestige...Bah! Humbug! he reckons he has to work an extra 10 years for that!

That seems strange. Someone is doing something very wrong if it takes them longer (even via the Commenara) to drive to Wahroonga than Pennant Hills.

North Shore

Hiya Red Car

1) I think you misunderstood me; i meant it took less than 15 minutes from Wahroonga to Pennant Hills via the Comenara....

2) Also you are spot on about the advantages of the Northern Line for those who works in the North Ryde Business Park area; my hubby is one of those....including the 5000 (???) employees of Optus....maybe that's why there is a sudden influx of young families into my patch of woods recently....

Cheers

Hiya Red Car

1) I think you misunderstood me; i meant it took less than 15 minutes from Wahroonga to Pennant Hills via the Comenara....

2) Also you are spot on about the advantages of the Northern Line for those who works in the North Ryde Business Park area; my hubby is one of those....including the 5000 (???) employees of Optus....maybe that's why there is a sudden influx of young families into my patch of woods recently....

Cheers

Ah! I understand you now, I was wondering where you were starting from. I wouldnt have thought it would take that long actually. I must be a fast driver! I do that in under 10 from the Wahroonga shops but not via the Commenara from there of course. I can do the CBD to Gordon in around 20 minutes with a really good run so maybe I do speed :D

Yep, I reckon that is a great selling point for the upper Northern suburbs, considering the eventual number of jobs in the Macquarie Park area is meant to be around 100,000! I know they wanted to put lots of units along the upper Northern rail line like they have on the upper North Shore line partly based on the superb access to Macquarie Park but I think the indecision regarding the North West rail line has made them hold back. If that line is built I would guess the Northern line may revert back to its old path via Strathfield.

I rate the upper Northern suburbs as a solid investment area and under rated. If it retains the train line via Macquarie Park and the lower North Shore I think it will be an area to watch in the future.

Northern Line

Hi Red Car

Very good analysis! I think those suburbs from Epping all the way to Hornsby are sleeper suburbs with great potential....much lower prices than the North Shore line with much the same convenience. One thing that is lacking tho' is the private (high) schools which dot the north shore line . The way i see it tho (based on personal experience) is by that time, kids are mobile anyway; they travel via Hornsby station down the north shore line.

Now, consider if Epping line really goes thru to Parramatta (which btw holds tremendous potential imho), these sleeper suburbs benefit by transferring at Epping...right now the huge Macquarie Business Park is only 6 stations from my patch of the woods (Pennant Hills)....to Paramatta, i reckon will be the same...

And if the north west line goes ahead, and rumours are the changeover will be at Cheltenham/Beecroft, this will definitely boost the numbers on the northern line...

All sweet atm......the price differential is just too wide to ignore

We live in North Epping having moved from Artarmon 7 years ago to start a family and we absolutely love it.

We have several parks and playgrounds, neighbourhood shops, primary school, kindergarten, bowling club, petrol station and national park all within a 7 minutes walk and no through traffic as it is an inland penisular.

Our neighbours and locals are fantastic with a great mix of ages and cultures.

The buses are regular and and we have Epping Station not far.

We were able to buy a large block in a leafy quiet area to knock down and rebuild at a fraction at what were looking at our last suburb.

Sometimes it s worth looking a little further to find a gem.

Hi Red Car

Very good analysis! I think those suburbs from Epping all the way to Hornsby are sleeper suburbs with great potential....much lower prices than the North Shore line with much the same convenience. One thing that is lacking tho' is the private (high) schools which dot the north shore line . The way i see it tho (based on personal experience) is by that time, kids are mobile anyway; they travel via Hornsby station down the north shore line.

Now, consider if Epping line really goes thru to Parramatta (which btw holds tremendous potential imho), these sleeper suburbs benefit by transferring at Epping...right now the huge Macquarie Business Park is only 6 stations from my patch of the woods (Pennant Hills)....to Paramatta, i reckon will be the same...

And if the north west line goes ahead, and rumours are the changeover will be at Cheltenham/Beecroft, this will definitely boost the numbers on the northern line...

All sweet atm......the price differential is just too wide to ignore

Agree with this, obviously the upper North Shore is known for its large blocks with stately homes, private schools and more affluent sort of lifestyle while still retaining good access to the city and lower North Shore but its acesss to the newer employment areas like Macquarie Park and Parramatta is not as good as the Northern suburbs should end up having.

As you say the Parramatta Rail Line will make acesss to Sydneys second CBD quite convinient. So asuming this line and the North West line are built, people living on the upper Northern line the future should have the CBD in one train trip via Strathfield or a change of train at Epping for acess to the Lower North Shore, Maquarie Park, Parramatta or Norwest employment areas. Pretty good!

With much cheper prices, more knock downs available and still lots of parks etc for a normal family I reckon the upper Northern suburbs are a good choice.

The only thing I will mention is that it seems the North West line will go underground from Cherrybrook straight to Epping and then on to Chatswood and St Leonards. The locals fought the old plan to have an above ground section joining at Beecroft/ Cheltenham. So you will have to change to the existing underground stations at Epping from the Northern line for either Parramatta or the Lower North Shore/ Macquarie Park/ Norwest.

Anyway, enough from me! :)

We live in North Epping having moved from Artarmon 7 years ago to start a family and we absolutely love it.

We have several parks and playgrounds, neighbourhood shops, primary school, kindergarten, bowling club, petrol station and national park all within a 7 minutes walk and no through traffic as it is an inland penisular.

Our neighbours and locals are fantastic with a great mix of ages and cultures.

The buses are regular and and we have Epping Station not far.

We were able to buy a large block in a leafy quiet area to knock down and rebuild at a fraction at what were looking at our last suburb.

Sometimes it s worth looking a little further to find a gem.

That sounds fantastic - well done!

Back