Problem with Split System Air conditioner.

My tenant has complained that the split system air con only works for approx. 20 mins and then it starts to blow warm air and it will only work again when it's been turned off for a "long time".
The problem I have is, it's a cheap Omni unit that was in the house when I bought it and is probably 5+ years old. I'm happy to send someone to fix it if it's likely to be a cheap fix, but if it's going to cost too much, I may be better off just buying a new one so I don't waste anything on this one. I guess I'm just after someone that may have an idea what may cause this problem and likely cost before I get someone out to look at it.

Chris

I'm suspecting that the compressor motor is not starting up.
It could be a faulty starter motor capacitor which is a silver looking part

I don't know if it's worth fixing because you'll pay for the service call plus his time so it could cost you at least $200

If you find someone local you can call and ask for a price range

Chris

I'm suspecting that the compressor motor is not starting up.
It could be a faulty starter motor capacitor which is a silver looking part

I don't know if it's worth fixing because you'll pay for the service call plus his time so it could cost you at least $200

If you find someone local you can call and ask for a price range

Do you mean it starts and runs when it's cool but won't restart when it's hot?
I might go around and see if the compressor is running or not when it happens. I'd probably get it repaired if it's around $200 but any more than that and it will likely be a waste.

Do you mean it starts and runs when it's cool but won't restart when it's hot?
I might go around and see if the compressor is running or not when it happens. I'd probably get it repaired if it's around $200 but any more than that and it will likely be a waste.

Yes that's what I'm suspecting.
You should hear a buzzing noise when the compressor is running (don't confuse it with the fan rotating)
If you were a bit technical you could take it down and look at it yourself.
If it's a faulty cap, a visual inspection usually shows the problem.
They tend to bubble up towards the top where the terminals are.
(the surface where the terminals are is normally flat)

Yes that's what I'm suspecting.
You should hear a buzzing noise when the compressor is running (don't confuse it with the fan rotating)
If you were a bit technical you could take it down and look at it yourself.
If it's a faulty cap, a visual inspection usually shows the problem.
They tend to bubble up towards the top where the terminals are.
(the surface where the terminals are is normally flat)

I'm happy to pull the cover off and have a look. I might go and do it today.

I went and had a look. It is definitely a case of it working at first and then not restarting when hot. Once cool, I told the tenant to run it on "super" mode which just makes it run flat out without stopping and it's working OK. The only problem is you can't adjust the fan or temp.
I looked at the caps, I could read "starting capacitor" on one and it looks OK. The only words I can read on the other one is "vegetable oil" and that one has a rounded top. Are they both starting capacitors and will replacing the one that has the rounded top fix the problem?

Chris

It shouldn't be using 2 but without looking at it I would'nt know.
starter caps cost around $25, you could try your luck and see what happens.

You need someone technical for fault finding so an aircon tech is your best bet and the cost is tax deductible.

Caution: there is 240V there so be very careful what you touch.
Also, caps store voltage for a while so don't touch the terminals even after the power is turned off or you could get a nasty shock.

If you are going to replace any of them, use insulated long nose pliers and have someone with you who can give you first aid if you get zapped.

Best to spend the $200 me thinks....

Thanks. All I did was took the top cover off an had a look. I turned the power off at the board before doing so. I might try replacing the one that is bulging as it will only take a couple of minutes. I'll be sure to leave the power off for a while before doing so. If it doesn't fix it I'll tell the tenant that if they can use it as is for now and I'll replace it with a better one before next summer.

Back