Property Damage from Neighbours Storm Water

I have an IP at Cowes Vic that has subsided 70ml due to water problems. Have eliminated council and water authority as culprits and believe the problem stems from neighbours storm water.

A bit of background.

My property is 25 years old. The property next door was built in 1994 after the land was subdivided from mine. The plans obtained from council show the two properties sharing common storm water drains. My property being on the lower side cops all my neighbours water. Visual inspection of the neighbours down pipes show the pipes are fully loaded with water and they have dropped 2cm from the support brackets. My drains do not appear to contain water. Used probe to tap my storm water.
Neighbours are renting.

A few of questions if I may.

1. Is it usual for subdivided properties to share storm water drains? (Yes according to the council building department)

2. Who can I speak to, other than the council, for advice on building regulations?

3. Who is responsible for the damage if proven to be storm water? If both, how is the liability split?

4. Any suggestions on what expert to use to help track the problem?

5. How should I go about building my case?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Twanger,

I think I would be going to the trouble and expense of calling in the experts, this could do serious damage to your investment.

Perhaps a building inspection would be a good place to start or an experienced builder in the local area who does renos and repairs.

I would say this is interallotment drainage, and if so it would have been installed by the contractor when subdivided.
Council will have no responsability or anything to do with it, it is up to the home owners.
Council should be able to tell you if it is interallotment or a council eavesment.

goodluck

Back