Property Development Course

There are more than one level of electrical licence and I know for sure that in Vic and in NSW that no-one is allowed to touch any hard wired electrical circuits (or repair electrical appliances) without the appropriate licence. Remember the ad' with the guy climbing up his ladder to his roof space and then the power goes out and the running pregnant wife yelling "Frank....Nooooooo!" Electricians do upwards of a 4 year apprenticeship for a reason....no second chances if you stuff up there!

Julie
Daryl Fisher Homes.

My bro in law in UK got some tips off a friend, read some materials from the net then installed all the light fittings in his new house inc switch points etc. Apparently, it's very easy to do. Just the basic stuff.
Rules in the UK are vastly different.

I was staggered, when I bought a house over there, to learn that there was no requirement for any electrical wiring to be approved, inspected, or certified. And no requirement for me, as a houseowner, to call in anybody certified to do it. Technically, anybody could do it (well, that was in 1988). To my mind, that's crazy.

Yes, I can read a book, figure out how to wire something, and do it. I did it.

But then, an electrician takes years to learn how to correctly load a circuit. How not to blow the fuses every time a toaster gets turned on. And, most importantly, to guarantee that the electrical work is absolutely safe.

(But then, the Brits were so "safe" about electricals that a normal power point was not allowed in a bathroom. Only shaver points).

I'd be interested to know if the situation has changed now.

Back