Property Development

Hi,

Though I've been using the software for a couple of years, this is my first time on the forum.

I'm in the planning stages of developing my own home block. I will lose my CG free advantage of selling my own home, but can put 4 houses on the block where 1 now stands.

It means bulldozing a nice 4 BR brick home and filling in a $30,000- pool, but the maths still puts me out in front.

By my rough calculations I should, at the end of the development, be able to sell 2 houses, and own 2 outright. I can then live in 1 and sell at a later date to relocate to northern NSW, (my dream), avoiding CGT, and keeping 1 rental, which will improve cash flow and enable further investment. (I already have 2 IP's doing quite well in SE Qld).

Has anyone done this sort of development, and what traps should I be looking out for?

Any guidance will be highly appreciated!

Thanks, Hose

Hi John,

Have you checked out the costs of subdivision?

It isn't cheap.
You might be suprised how much you need to spend just to divide the land.

Kind Regards,

Scott.

I've got council costs, surveying costs, architect costs and building costs factored in - and it still looks rosie. Just worried that it looks too easy?:rolleyes:

Hi John,

sounds like you've done you homework - good luck with it!!!

have you factored in holding costs and delay costs?? there is a major shortage of tradies in Brisbane at the moment and even materials are hard to find as there is so much construction going on AND many workers/materials are being siphoned off by the mines.

the only other things i can think of that may affect you (if you haven't thought of them already) are extra council costs like added headworks/contributions/ecologists/engineers etc should there be any issues and things like agents and advertising fees for the ones you sell off - depending on which way you go

in other words - make sure you have access to enough cash reserves for when things go a bit skewed or some council champion who decides to slap you with more fees or issues.

perhaps you could start a thread with progress reports and piccies once you get started?? we'd all love to watch your progress...

cheers
UC

Back