Property Magazine Subscriptions

Which property magazine/s do you subscribe to?

• Australian Property Investor

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Your Investment Property

Votes: 55 45.1%
  • Smart Property Investment

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Your Money

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Your Mortgage

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Smart Investor

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Others ...

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please do.. they'd save postage costs, production costs, subscribers would receive new issues without delay and not have physical space being eaten up with the arrival of new issues.

API have the right idea. I'm already a subscriber to the iPad API mag though.

I mentioned it to subscriptions team and publisher - they are currently in the process of re-jigging the entire app and (with some luck) sorting out back issues. When this is done, there will definitely be subscription deals for it.

I've also brought up some of the other issues mentioned re: profiles etc and we're looking into this now and how we can present a bit more depth! Very much excited to bring the next issue out (currently writing November issue).

I have suscribed to API for a number of years now, but lately, it takes me just under an hour to scoure from first to last page - albeit skipping 50% of the content and ads on the way. :D

On the Negative

Had a look at the latest API and there were 9 pages of advertising ranging from full to part pages within the first 14 pages, I think nearly 1/3 of the magazine contained ad's

On the Positive

Apparently there's a lot of people willing to help make me rich through property and are keen to point me in the right direction- bless them

Just wanted to let you know that in the next issue coming out of SPI, for all profiles we've starting including the amount investors OWN of their port (their LVRs etc) and initial deposit investors started their portfolio on.

This will be a practice we continue in the next magazines as well.

We're willing to really take on board all feedback and make changes where necessary. If there's any other info you'd like us to include, I'd be keen to read about it!

Thanks.

On the Negative

Had a look at the latest API and there were 9 pages of advertising ranging from full to part pages within the first 14 pages, I think nearly 1/3 of the magazine contained ad's

On the Positive

Apparently there's a lot of people willing to help make themselves rich through property and are keen to point me in the right direction- bless them

Corrected your typo there..........:p

Must admit, im only into 10 pages into "smart Property investment" and its credbility is looking for questionable to me

1. Vic regional cities primed for growth with a $300k boost
$300k!

2. Agents Pick NSW: Toongabbie by a real estate agent in toonbgabbie!

3. Strategy to earn $100k pa. Borrow 105%, Category : low risk
105%=low risk!

Must admit, im only into 10 pages into "smart Property investment" and its credbility is looking for questionable to me

$300k!

105%=low risk!

Thanks for the feedback.

The $300k is actually just one part of a $1 billion government fund. The story isn't as clear as it should be, which I'm going to point out to our editor. We were attempting to explain this part of that fund as it is the most orientated towards pop. growth and planning of future infrastructure. This should have been stated but obviously escaped our attention.

Agent's picks aren't meant to be "top investment" areas. They're just highlighted to give a feel for what's in a state - I guess to give a picture over a period of time. We've been thinking about a different way to present these sections, and we're thinking of phasing that out (it's also one of the harder things to put together because of the sheer amount of work to get an agent to put together 100 words). I'll keep you posted (if you have any ideas though, happy to hear them - maybe the top growth suburb of the month looked into? We have the stats for it.) I have to admit it isn't my favourite part of the magazine either, and at the moment we're waiting to undergo a re-formulation of some of the sections. This has been there since the magazine was first made and is definitely up for some changes. Any ideas would be great.

The 100kpa strategy bases the "risk" profile of the strategies on the type of property/area, rather than the lend. I've made a note to include an asterisk to make this clearer in the future.

I really appreciate all the points here. We honestly want to make the product as good as possible and the only way we can do that is with some straightforward to the point feedback.

Thanks.

$300k!

105%=low risk!

+1

I bought SPI this month and never again (at least for while). i felt the same way as you did... half of mag is promoted by ppl who advertise with them.

At work, we advertise in our industry magazine taking out a page or half. My number one criteria is that magazines should cover market in broader and provide information to reader rather than Just spruking for companies that pay for advert!!!

As i understand,
1.some magazine sales rep start ringing relative companies(to the industry) for advertise
2. companies agree to advertise on the magazine
3. Sale rep pass the info to journo
4. Journo rings that company and draft something up/ get there input

win win for both parties Journo get something to write on/Companies get double the deal.. advert plus editorial.... and reader who pays for magazine doesn't get value for what he/she paid for.

I see above happening with our industry and i refused to put advert in such magazine!

No offense to anyone involved in magazine industry!

+1

I bought SPI this month and never again (at least for while). i felt the same way as you did... half of mag is promoted by ppl who advertise with them.

At work, we advertise in our industry magazine taking out a page or half. My number one criteria is that magazines should cover market in broader and provide information to reader rather than Just spruking for companies that pay for advert!!!

As i understand,
1.some magazine sales rep start ringing relative companies(to the industry) for advertise
2. companies agree to advertise on the magazine
3. Sale rep pass the info to journo
4. Journo rings that company and draft something up/ get there input

win win for both parties Journo get something to write on/Companies get double the deal.. advert plus editorial.... and reader who pays for magazine doesn't get value for what he/she paid for.

I see above happening with our industry and i refused to put advert in such magazine!

No offense to anyone involved in magazine industry!

I've provided comments and opinion for several magazine and newspaper articles now, including API and SPI, AFR, Domain etc and haven't once advertised in any of these publications, so I can attest to the behaviour of some journalists to achieve a more balanced view.

Advertorials, however, are a part and parcel of many mediums these days so the consumer needs to be aware of this and draw their conclusions accordingly. It's a fast moving world in this age of digital technology and coming up constantly with fresh ideas and stories with headline-grabbing covers can't be an easy task :D

Jenn, as far as feedback goes, I'd have to agree with others that the Agent's Picks are obviously transparent (but you knew this anyway!) - my thoughts are that the section would be better off being reworded so as not to appear to mislead some readers into thinking they're "hotspots" or similar. Perhaps "Suburb Watch" or a similar heading would be preferable?

I enjoy a range of property-related publications however my biggest gripe is with the lack of clarity with the "growth rates" that are bandied about, especially in the State roundups. Most of these should be deemed statistically not reliable (SNR) and NOT included, as they are potentially misleading to readers. For example, in the Nov SPI edition this year the "Fasted growing suburbs" (rates sourced via RPData) had two Sydney suburbs of Huntleys Cove and Dural as being in the Top 5 with 12 mth growth rates of 39% and 38% respectively. This is so misleading, as for the entire year Huntleys Cove managed a mere 16 unit sales in total, and Dural a miserly 31- neither sufficient from which to draw any conclusions on growth rates. As a general rule of thumb, in our research we consider anything under less than 80-100 sales p/a to be SNR and therefore of little value in data interpretation.

The property data industry here in Australia is not regulated and private residential property data providers like Australian Property Monitors (APM), PDS, Residex & RP Data are profit driven organisations. They are accountable to their shareholders primarily and not to consumers, the public or government. This is a fact and any interpretation of such data needs to be considered in this light as well. I'm not suggesting that magazines don't use growth rates as part of their stories and sections (such as State Roundups) but certainly only include growth rates that are, at the very least, of a large enough sample size from which to draw some form of satisfactory conclusion.

A bit annoyed that someone has been stealing our magazines, so I called up API customer service. The first time around, they resent the issues that I had missed out on. The thief strikes again and, I called up to have the latest issue resent. Now, customer service goes, it costs us $2.90 or something like that to get it resent. Which I replied, how much did the subscription cost me?

The magazine is not the most precious thing in the world, it's the fact that someone is stealing it that annoys me the most. Plus the lack of customer service :confused:

*my rant*

Anyhow, had the magazines redirected to office..

YIP magazine would like to claim to be the best, but to me it is aimed at amateurs who would not know other than what they read. I rarely buy the magazine, but when I do I am left shaking my head at many of their articles, or stories of so called successful investors. It is only when you read about specific properties or areas that you have first hand knowledge of that you realise how gullible the journalists are - they must have no property knowledge or experience otherwise they would baulk at including some of the stuff. I suspected that they are nothing more than journalists - only criteria for an article/story is that it sounds good, sells magazines. One day writing for a property magazine, next week a teenage fashion magazine. There is only about 30% of the magazine which is worth reading. (They could do with a new proof reader as well, so many errors in the August top 100).

Today I came across and add for a journalist for YIP. Just as I suspected, no preference for knowledge, experience or even interest in property, merely writing about it!!!

Copy and pasted from Seek:

Senior writer - Your Investment Property magazine
Take the content of a highly successful newsstand publication to the next level
Help real people create wealth
Advance your career in a friendly, dynamic team environment
Your Investment Property magazine needs a highly proficient media professional who can personally research and write fresh, intelligent, analytical and accessible content for print and web. Beyond this, the successful candidate will have his or her own ideas to bring to the publication, along with the requisite drive, energy and skills to constantly improve the quality and relevance of content. This challenging and yet rewarding role on one of the country’s leading consumer magazines would suit an experienced media professional who wants to fast-track his or her career.

Requirements
tertiary education
at least 3yrs writing/editing experience, preferably in a business or property related field
knowledge of financial services an advantage
articulate and confident presentation

Rewards
highly competitive remuneration plus revenue share
flexible hours and paid loyalty leave
significant opportunities for promotion and career advancement; potential for overseas posting
plenty of support in a dynamic and friendly working environment

About Your Investment Property
Published monthly, Your Investment Property provides readers with the most complete set of property data, independent commentary and thoroughly-researched articles about all aspects of investing in property in Australia and abroad.

Every month Your Investment Property carries exclusive information about Australia’s up-and-coming property hot spots; real-life success stories of ordinary, hardworking Australians who have achieved financial independence through property; and the latest and most practical legal, tax and financial advice to help you invest safely.

About Key Media
With offices in Canada, Australia, Asia and New Zealand, Key Media delivers world class content through various channels including print, online and major events. Key Media products operate across key business verticals including insurance, finance, property and human resources; their high-quality content brings product providers and business communities together.

In just over a decade, Key Media has grown from the launch publisher of a single B2B magazine to a global business media company with an ever-growing portfolio of market-leading products.

I rarely buy the magazine, but when I do I am left shaking my head at many of their articles[/COLOR]

I bought API today to have a read,the 1st magazine i have bought for a while.Well,isn't this a easy way to double,triple your money,make 1.9 million on one deal blah blah blah blah.What a crock of cr@p,half read and now in my recycling bin.I started shaking my head at the 1st story i started reading,the information given is incorrect and misleading throughout the magazine, no wonder newbie investors who read these mags get sucked in by the slick ads with their own agenda,s.
I have been profiled by magazines,including this one,but i stipulated ALL the nuts and bolts get told to give the full story,not bits and pieces of the good stuff only,to give a real feel good message to readers.Its been a long,hard,frustrating journey which you cannot put into words.I am sure you understand if you have done this awhile.

Back