Property Magazine Subscriptions

Which property magazine/s do you subscribe to?

• Australian Property Investor

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Your Investment Property

Votes: 55 45.1%
  • Smart Property Investment

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Your Money

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Your Mortgage

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Smart Investor

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Others ...

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In API, I've noticed that alot of the investors profiled are proud about how much properties they've bought in the shortest amount of time but on closer look they don't emphasise that they sold one or two properties in the process... and stories about how an investor makes so much equity in the shortest amount of time...

Agree with Sparky, it does seem too good to be true at times... but the columns by Matusik and Joye are always a good read...

In API, I've noticed that alot of the investors profiled are proud about how much properties they've bought in the shortest amount of time but on closer look they don't emphasise that they sold one or two properties in the process... and stories about how an investor makes so much equity in the shortest amount of time...

Agree with Sparky, it does seem too good to be true at times... but the columns by Matusik and Joye are always a good read...

Agree - they seem to focus on buying lots quickly, but when you look at the portfolio figures - where they occasionally don't include buying costs, if it suits their purpose - they'll be lucky to have ANY equity.

same as SS. There are only so many topics to cover (re-cover) - in saying that I quite often find it a good source of additional inspiration required every now and then.

same as SS. There are only so many topics to cover (re-cover)

Exactly...the same old questions keep getting asked over again with each new wave of members joining the forum. There is a whole complete property investment workshop manual already contained on the SS forum database - if only they used the forum's 'search' button. I think people like to be spoon fed.

Although there are a large number of topics that are time-specific; where to buy, interest rates *yawn*, renovation techniques and fashions, etc.

I've been working on the SPI team for about a year now, and any feedback is very welcome. What is actually valuable to investors? What do you hate reading?

I think if only "ONE" of the magazines focused more on real life case studies,people doing property investing at the coal face would end up a popular for investors.All the ads really annoy me,they make it sound all too easy,also the pages and pages and pages and pages(sorry) of statistics are to most people,including me,boring.

Hear, hear - those stories, while generally motivational, leave out too many of the nuts and bolts that tell how it REALLY happened...

True,

At around $14M from primarily investing OTP, Ian Richard Hoskins story would be much more interesting to me with more of the nuts and bolts, still that's probably the gist of it for some of the high profile investors/advertisers

I was flipping through YIP the other day and noted that the 4 investors profiled in the $30 Million Dollar + Portfolio where all "helpers"

matto_ said:
same as SS. There are only so many topics to cover (re-cover) - in saying that I quite often find it a good source of additional inspiration required every now and then.

This reminds me of an old joke:

A man is sent to prison for the first time. At night, the lights in the cell block are turned off, and his cellmate goes over to the bars and yells, “Number twelve!” The whole cell block breaks out laughing. A few minutes later, somebody else in the cell block yells, “Number four!” Again, the whole cell block breaks out laughing.

The new guy asks his cellmate what’s going on. “Well,” says the older prisoner, “we’ve all been in this here prison for so long, we all know the same jokes. So we just yell out the number instead of saying the whole joke.”

So the new guy walks up to the bars and yells, “Number six!” There was dead silence in the cell block. He asks the older prisoner, “What’s wrong? Why didn’t I get any laughs?”

“Well,” said the older man, “sometimes it’s not the joke, but how you tell it.”

I gave up reading those mags a while ago;

sketchy stories with a lot of dubious figures on what they have got versus means to do it, and endless ads.

Better off here.

Most stories are ridgy-didge,

but no ads (thanks Mods),

and the arguments are funny..

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the info!

I read this forum very regularly - particularly when bogged down in the numericals and needing something "real" to sink my teeth into for the next issue - and thought it was about time to start asking you the questions I've been dying to put out there for a while.

I think if only "ONE" of the magazines focused more on real life case studies,people doing property investing at the coal face would end up a popular for investors.All the ads really annoy me,they make it sound all too easy,also the pages and pages and pages and pages(sorry) of statistics are to most people,including me,boring.

We absolutely love real-life investor stories, but find a lot of people are actually closed off about their finances etc. I'll bring this up at the next editorial meeting. All this is really useful to us to know, thank you, I honestly appreciate it. Quite hard to get people to speak plainly about their opinions. Would you like lengthier profiles with more nitty gritty about their portfolios or shorter snappy sideboxes with tidbits of strategy in it e.g. "I spent $X and made $X doing this ___"?

Agreed with the statistics – but surprising. We find a lot of people flip right to the back to use them (so we keep them at the back out of the way). I suppose these micro-movements in the stats aren't that useful as most of us buy for the long haul anyway.

While I don’t see the statistics being taken out of the mag (as they’re a useful resource to an extent), I hope that we can balance out what is there with more feature-based content at the front.

sketchy stories with a lot of dubious figures on what they have got versus means to do it, and endless ads.

Better off here.

Unfortunately ads will always be a reality for us to stay in print (our cover charge barely covers printing) – but being on the editorial side of things, they aren’t my favourite either.

I’m definitely keen to really dig down into those figures with a fine toothed comb and explain “how” they made that portfolio. We’re really trying to make it clear with any reports we run exactly what the metrics behind it were so you can replicate at will, or decide if it’s even a method you’d bother with.

I don't ever want to see a 'Top X number of suburbs' list or a 'Places tipped to grow' on our pages without having fully explained how we came to that conclusion.

Hmmm… last post on this thread (post #17) was back in February, and API was way ahead.

All of a sudden there's a flurry of votes for YIP, and three consecutive comments (#18, 19 and 20) gushing about how great YIP is and how terrible its competitors are - all posted within the space of four days (two of them on the same day).

All the comments are from "one-post wonders" with just 1-6 posts each.

Come on YIP - give it up. Somersofters are not stupid. I couldn't care less what magazine people prefer, but it's annoying to be taken for a fool.

By the way, comment #19 (Floda Reltih) - now that you've joined us with your one informative post, perhaps you can tell us why your user name is Adolf Hitler spelled backwards?
Classic.......im still laughing.

The Hitler thing is a bit odd! Funny, I play anagrams daily and didn't even pick that one up until that pointed it out!

Better off here.

and the arguments are funny..

I agree with you Bayview. When I got started in Property Investing, I wanted to get my hands on anything and everything related to the subject - including magazines.

However, I later found out that magazines are quite fluffy on the material that they give you, and they leave you hanging on alot of the more pratical and strategic aspect of investing.

Like you, I much prefer forums where you get a more direct interaction and your particular question handled for you. I also prefer books and other research tools that are more specific and more in depth to help me get more focused on my investing.

I agree with you Bayview. When I got started in Property Investing, I wanted to get my hands on anything and everything related to the subject - including magazines.

However, I later found out that magazines are quite fluffy on the material that they give you, and they leave you hanging on alot of the more pratical and strategic aspect of investing.

Like you, I much prefer forums where you get a more direct interaction and your particular question handled for you. I also prefer books and other research tools that are more specific and more in depth to help me get more focused on my investing.

what specific sort of info should we be including? I'm willing to take anything on board here! If you want specific info about tax or loans... anything, we know the people who can get it.

I guess the balance for us is whether it's too nitty gritty that it becomes boring or whether it's too fluffy that it's not useful.

Back