Property Management Teaser

During the strong winds we had in Melbourne last week, a very large tree was uprooted from my property (which I am renting), broke through the fence and came to rest on my neighbours roof – actually the tree is now leaning from my property to my neighbours – luckily the only damage is the fence (no big deal) and only a few dents on the metal fascia of my neighbours. The tree is not going anywhere and it requires a professional to remove it due to its size

It is a serious tree folks!

The neighbours property is a rented property also, however - to complicate it a bit further, I have actually exchanged contracts on the property that I am currently renting with settlement due in two weeks.

Now – how should this issue be handled from a property management point of view?

The answer so far has surprised me and it still in progress of being resolved.

What do you think should have happened?

wombat

You would contact your PM.
They would contact theirs.
Your PM would contact landlord.
Landlord would say "call in the tree removalists and fence people"
PM would say "no problem"
Tree removalists would arrive, remove tree.
PM would call fence people.
Fence people would arrive, fix fence.
PM would call you, "are you happy"
You say yes.
He calls landlord "ok landlord, all done"
End

don't forget to also call insurance people and see if you are covered. damaged to house next door should be covered by their insurance, but you might get a fence and tree removal from yours - if you're lucky.

umm no.

Property manager reports it to landlord, landlord says it's an insurance matter, so he's not authorizing repairs untill he can find out whether or not he has to pay for it.

**** load of work starts for pm.

Interesting one, wombat .....

If the situation in Vic is the same as Qld, then the property would be at your risk from the date of the contract to purchase, so you (or your insurance co.) would be responsible for rectifying the damage to both properties. (Is it going to be your PPOR or an IP? Do you have a PM yet? If not, then is it an issue for the PM?)

Close? Or miles away?????

Cheers
LynnH

Interesting one, wombat .....

If the situation in Vic is the same as Qld, then the property would be at your risk from the date of the contract to purchase, so you (or your insurance co.) would be responsible for rectifying the damage to both properties. (Is it going to be your PPOR or an IP? Do you have a PM yet? If not, then is it an issue for the PM?)

Close? Or miles away?????

Cheers
LynnH

Are you sure about this? I thought you have an insurable interest in the property. I thought this was to the point that you have a vested interest in receiving what you purchased. I didnt think this went as far as being liable for neighbours property, insurance excess, etc. If that were the case surely coucil rates would also be charged from the point that you sign rather than from the point you settle.......

Hi Dis

Yes, I'm sure about the risk from date of contract - if the vendor cancels the insurance prior to purchase, the purchaser had better have insurance in place, or else s/he is in the proverbial deep (in Queensland at least!). There have been cases where there has been damage to the property (and even where the property has been destroyed by fire) and where the vendor has cancelled insurance ... and the purchaser has to settle on something that no longer exists. Caveat emptor!!

As to liability for damage to both properties, I'm not sure, but since the purchaser is effectively responsible for the safety/security/etc of the property, I have assumed that this is the case - hence the question to wombat as to whether I was 'Close? Or miles away?'

Cheers
LynnH

Luckily the damage done is superficial, and yes I should have taken out insurance when I signed the contract - but laziness on my part was gonna do it!! Could have been much much worse and rather complicated.

Anyway, these are the steps so far...

Contacted the landlord directly and told them what had happened and whether they had insurance.

Property is insured (as expected) – I emailed some pics of the tree and they contacted their insurance

Insurance told them that since the tree is on the roof of the neighbour you need to call the SES.

SES took the call and got all the details up to the part that it was “my” tree, but on the neighbours house. – “no can do” - the neighbour must log the call the SES as it is his roof and not yours!

Next day call neighbours property manager and gave her the rundown – no probs, she’ll call the SES.

SES take the call and come out the next day. Note big tree on neighbours roof, no danger here, not an SES job call the landlord.

Call landlord – not SES job as no danger please call insurance!

Landlord goes BAH! Has made arrangements for him to come over with chainsaw and trailer for free firewood! I will arrange for cold beer in fridge and help out with some labouring work..

wombat

Back