Property risk highest in a long time

Property risk highest in a long time

I guess to take a short cut we could lump all of Australian residential into the 'property' bucket, but then we would need to define 'risk' and 'long time'

I take this as a yes :D
I will buy again (in Adelaide) when I think the fundamentals are lining up for solid growth or when yields make sense to do so. I sold a property late 2009 and I can still buy the equivalent for around 10% less than my sale price. Rents going nowhere. No expertise in renovations and no interest in doing so. No expertise in small development, something I will aspire to down the track but suspect would be especially challenging in the current environment. Long term B&H has worked in the past, but IMO won't be as easy over the next 10 years as it has been over the last 10. Why would I own property?

It's even worse than that. He sold his home a few years ago and put all the proceeds into gold and silver. :eek:
I drew out equity to purchase metals well before the sale of the house (late 2008 - early 2009, for the most part). But even so, January 2010 to now:

AUD Gold: $1220 to $1410 = +15%
Adelaide Home (RP Data measure): -4.4% from peak which was same quarter

+ saved a boat load renting over the last few years & in my particular case the equivalent property is 10%+ lower, but provided the Adelaide wide number to keep you happy.

I drew out equity to purchase metals well before the sale of the house (late 2008 - early 2009, for the most part). But even so, January 2010 to now:

+ saved a boat load renting over the last few years & in my particular case the equivalent property is 10%+ lower, but provided the Adelaide wide number to keep you happy.

First thing that popped into my head is how much rent have you paid since you sold, and would that have offset the fall in the house price. I know you pay rent and don't pay a mortgage, but I'm curious.

I would prefer to pay a mortgage than pay rent. I also know that is not necessarily sensible, but I cannot stop how my mind works :).

I also know about people being able to rent a much more salubrious house than they could buy with the same amount paid into a mortgage, but I just like the idea of slowly "owning" something.

First thing that popped into my head is how much rent have you paid since you sold, and would that have offset the fall in the house price. I know you pay rent and don't pay a mortgage, but I'm curious.

I would prefer to pay a mortgage than pay rent. I also know that is not necessarily sensible, but I cannot stop how my mind works :).

I also know about people being able to rent a much more salubrious house than they could buy with the same amount paid into a mortgage, but I just like the idea of slowly "owning" something.
If we can take any lifestyle considerations out of the mix then the idea of selling one Australian home to buy back in later and benefit from the trade financially seems like a clumsy way to express the view that residential is overpriced, for many reasons, but could start with the transaction costs which are large.

I couldn't manage to do it personally even though I sold one unit on the Gold Coast (no less) and in 2007, which shows just how tough it can be if you buy a reasonable property in the first place. I guess at some point in the next 10 years I could be made correct on that trade but I'm not getting any younger waiting.

Selling your house to 'win' in terms of some house price index is just ludicrous in my view. Then again, I don't worry about small money, I focus on big stuff.

Rent I am paying is less than interest on the mortgage (which is also dead money), so money I save renting is to my benefit, not detriment. There's more to the story than selling my house to buy Gold. Selling your "home" to time markets is not something I would recommend. While the house I sold was PPOR, it wasn't purchased with the intention it remain as such for the long term.

Oh you're talking about Adelaide, no wonder you're so bleak.

Should've bought in Melb. Would've hit the 2009-2010 boom and 2013 boom.

You're welcome Dazz :)

Property has gone nowhere. Risks to property prices remain. The average property investor is still negative geared. So no, not much has changed.

hobo,

no offence, but you can't extrapolate those comments nationwide.

i appreciate the fact you're posting from SA where it may indeed be correct - but here in Perth a majority of rents have gone up 50%, some as much as 100%.

if you'd have bought something in 2008/9/10/11 when the world was ending you would be CF+ at the current rental levels.

it's not all about growth - but again, Perth, Sydney, Darwin and to some extent Brisbane have all had between mild to stellar growth in the last few years - all things being equal.

when you talk "average" property investor - do you mean those that are on solid DHW 12 year contracts with ratchet clauses and a lot of income to pay down the remainder? or those that bought apts under NRAS with 10 years' worth of $10,350pa subsidies? or the 5% of the population that bought 1 residential property other than their PPOR that has approx 2% shortfall between rent and payments? or are we talking comm property that has enough deductions against it to be able to claim a neutral tax return? or are we discussing those investing with FIRB approval and buying properties with cash and claiming the depreciation against the rent?

i don't mean to be picky, but your statement is super general on a national level, let alone a specific city level - and we all know each city performs differently under different conditions.

over 33% of dwellings in australia are owned outright - no mortgage.

just over 35% of dwellings have a mortgage.

and about 30% of dwellings are rented - however this stat incorporates those that have bought an IP, renting out an ex-OO home while not in residence, foreign investment etc etc.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument

so how do we divide up that remaining 30% into what is actually neg geared? and if they are neg geared, a fall in rates signals less neg gearing. a fall in rates also reduces impact on the high AUD which means more overseas investment is likely ($1b USD a month leaving HK at Mar levels).

i can't see how your argument still holds weight after 6 years, hobo. i like your style and your suspicious approach, but the writing is on the wall - if you bought when everyone said not to, you would have no problem continuing to hodl that asset today or in the immediate - medium future.

so how do we divide up that remaining 30% into what is actually neg geared?
This is for 2010/2011 FY:
1 in 7 Australian taxpayers are a property investor (either negatively geared or positively geared);

1 in 10 Australian taxpayers are negatively geared;

The average income loss for all property investors in 2010-11 was $4,341, up from $2,746 in 2009-10;

The average income loss for negatively geared property investors in 2010-11 was $10,947, up from $9,132 in 2009-10; and

72% of negatively geared investors (877,694 in total) earned less than $80,000 in 2010-11.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/04/negative-gearing-losses-jump/

Of course falling interest rates will probably lower number of negatively geared for current FY. Rent increases may have some effect too, but you have to remember that investor turnover of property on average is quite high, many sell within a couple of years, so the new rush of investors we are seeing at the moment will be achieving current yields which are still rather poor IMO:

http://blog.residex.com.au/2013/04/23/march-2013-property-market-update/

I've made it clear in many posts (including posts on Perth) that I don't think every city is the same. But Perth is not immune to the risks outlined in the OP. Reduced investment in mining infrastructure will hit your states economy too...

This morning BREE released a half -yearly document that poses some very serious questions about Australian economic prospects. It’s forecasts for a fall in the mining investment pipeline from $268 billion today to $70 billion in 2017 is, being kind, a bit of a concern.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/05/dont-spook-the-horses/

This is for 2010/2011 FY:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/04/negative-gearing-losses-jump/

Of course falling interest rates will probably lower number of negatively geared for current FY. Rent increases may have some effect too, but you have to remember that investor turnover of property on average is quite high, many sell within a couple of years, so the new rush of investors we are seeing at the moment will be achieving current yields which are still rather poor IMO:

http://blog.residex.com.au/2013/04/23/march-2013-property-market-update/

I've made it clear in many posts (including posts on Perth) that I don't think every city is the same. But Perth is not immune to the risks outlined in the OP. Reduced investment in mining infrastructure will hit your states economy too...

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/05/dont-spook-the-horses/

then i gather, from this material, that you agree with my sentiments?

Australia's population is set to double by 2050, after doubling from 1990 levels recently.

i see nothing but a squeeze for property in the medium - long term.

Back