Protecting Floorboards : Carpets or BIRs?

Hi all! Been lurking here for a couple of years. I settle tomorrow on my first IP, a 1920s inner-city bungalow. I'm pretty excited and the house is in good shape but one thing still bugs me.

The front two bedrooms have nice polished floorboards. BR 3 and the lounge have boards as well but they're under carpet. None of the rooms have BIR. I have this nightmare vision of tenants dragging wardrobes, chests and beds all over the floorboards.

I've come up with two alternatives : (1) install carpet to protect the boards, or (2) install BIRs into these two rooms so that heavy furniture isn't needed. I was planning to talk to the eventual tenants and "negotiate" this with them.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Any suggestions? In practice, is it difficult to seek remedy from tenants for badly damaged floorboards?

Thanks!

Daniel

How about "hall runners" those long thin carpets that run down hallways.. you can still see the floorboards on either side?

dcarr said:
The front two bedrooms have nice polished floorboards. BR 3 and the lounge have boards as well but they're under carpet. None of the rooms have BIR. I have this nightmare vision of tenants dragging wardrobes, chests and beds all over the floorboards.

I've come up with two alternatives : (1) install carpet to protect the boards, or (2) install BIRs into these two rooms so that heavy furniture isn't needed. I was planning to talk to the eventual tenants and "negotiate" this with them.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Any suggestions? In practice, is it difficult to seek remedy from tenants for badly damaged floorboards?

Thanks!

Daniel

Damaged floorboards would come under "wear & tear" so long as it is not major or malicious damage. Therefore no compensation would be given.

If you are thinking of installing BIRs, do it now rather than try to negotiate with tenants. If a tenant is looking for a property with build-ins they probably won't look at yours anyway.

skater said:
If you are thinking of installing BIRs, do it now rather than try to negotiate with tenants. If a tenant is looking for a property with build-ins they probably won't look at yours anyway.
Also, if BIR's are already installed prior to a tenant moving, it may eliminate them dragging wardrobes etc over the floorboards.

Regards
Marty

Hi Daniel
It's a numbers game, and most of the time, there are only generalisations on which to base decisions, because humans are in the equation.
Here's one that has served me well :

" You will attract a better tenant if you have BIR's. "

As a rule of thumb, those tenants moving around with wardrobes are usually circulating amongst the cheaper rentals. Otherwise, they don't need wardrobes. Go fish in the better pond. Good luck. ;)

cheers
crest133

Hi Daniel,

The property is a 1920's bungalow in inner city Adelaide. I would think the type of tennants wishing to rent in this area would be of reasonable quality unless they're students.

In regards to the floor boards, are they in harmony with the rest of the decor of the property. If the answer is yes, I would certainly leave them in place.

You're talking about putting down carpet to prevent damage. Carpet requires underlay which is glued or stapled into place with timber fastening strips around the edges. Once this decision is made you will need to carry out repairs if you want to return to polished floor boards. Why don't you just leave the floorboards and if it the floor does get damaged then install the carpet.

In regards to the matter of moving wardrobes around. They will be moving a fridge, dining table, lounges, beds, TV. Any of these may cause damage to the floor.

The final comment I'll make in regards to built ins. Will they match the house? If not they may decrease the value to a prospective tennant.

Hi Daniel

Well done on getting your first IP:)

Now relax about those floor boards.........they have survived people's furniture since the 20's!!

Look at them closely ...I am sure there are scuff marks and scratches there already. Part of the charm of wooden floors, to me.

They can be sanded back and repolished if they get really bad. I'd prefer to repolish floors every now and then rather than have carpet that will get stained and yucky.

ani

thanks

Thanks for the great responses everyone! The thoroughfares are tiled - no need for hall runners, and fridges, dining tables etc won't cause any problems.

I agree with the comments regarding the better class of tenants and that BIRs and polished floorboards are more in keeping with that target market and the style of the house.

I get to measure up the house tonight, and hope to be armed with some quotes before the open, unfortunately not enough time to actually install them but I'll paint some mind pictures for the prospective tenants :)

Thanks again,

Daniel

In colder climates, many tenants prefer carpets in bedrooms- but wood, tiles etc in living areas are OK. Talk with a local property manager to see what the demand is in your area.

I don't think carpet is necessary in inner Adelaide. I lived in Adelaide for years. Also people with a dust alergy would probably look more favourably on a house without carpets.
Congratulations on your purchase.
cheers
blossomoz

Back