Public housing tenants trashing properties

Because they don't have enough resources to inspect any more than that. Last I heard, the average Housing Service Officer (equivalent to PM) was responsible for between 300 and 400 tenancies each.

I doubt more inspections would make much difference anyway. This sort of thing isn't something that can be solved with any one solution.

I deal with these cases all the time here in Victoria. I work as a sub contractor for the Dept of Housing. What I have gathered from talking to the other subbies, is that it is very difficult/ impossible to evict "certain" tenants, and that they don't inspect these properties (if they did they would have to act). Instead, to get there quota of inspections, they simply inspect there "better quality" tenants houses more regularly.
I just finished removing rubbish from a property, it took 3 large 8m3 skips and 2 8x5 caged tandom trailer loads to remove rubbish from inside and outside. :mad:

The above is my opinion only, I can't confirm any of it, as the Dept of Housing will never admit to the above

Many are fine. Many know and appreciate the privilege of getting accommodation, take good care of the place.

Some are not. We had one in a previous block we owned that was up for discussion at the BC meeting all the time - rude tenants, tenants making threats to passersby, alleged damage to cars in the car parks etc. A complaint to the Dept however gets them moved pretty quickly. One advantage we found is that they (the Dept) are NEVER late paying BC dues :)

The Y-man

And this is why negative gearing is a good thing :)

We investors do a much better job of taking care of these types of problems at less cost to the tax payer.

Yep, we have to take the hit and hope insurance covers it when they do a runner/disappear.

I find it amazing people can live 10-20+ years in public housing and consider it their right.

Back