Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

There are alot being divided in Frankston North, one in my street Bursaria Crescent has just been finished
Also....

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=59269365&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1231375677 sold

http://www.homesvic.com/realestate/...rescent-frankston-north-vic-local-233361.html

I personally like Frankston Central best but could only afford North, if buying North buy on the outskirts. Frankston Central is close to beach, shops & train line. The area is really run down but has lots of potential if you ask me. Frankston South has better properties but it's a treck to the beach because its all cliffs once you go up Olivers Hill

If you want closer to the city then Frankston North is closer than Central, South and Karingal. Buy at Belvedere end and jump on freeway from Seaford road entry ramp

thanks bayside, I love talking to locals, maybe Ill be one soon :D

im having a look at those properties at the moment,

they both seem to be 2bdr units, wouldn;t you think 3bdr houses have more potential for growth and subdivision due to the land component???

also, when you say Belevedere end, are you saying to buy on the belvedere side of seaford road?

and also, where is Oliver's Hill, can't seem to find it on the googlemaps.

P.S please don't take offence to this, 2/14 candlebark says expecting 250k-$270k seems slightly overpriced, oh just wait the photos of what it looks like now, and you get a new fully built one !! if thats the case thats much better, but I think it still might be overpriced... just my opinion

also, whats your opinion on rosemary drv and tamarisk drive in that they have the reserve on the other side of the road, do you think that is a POS, NEG or Neutral, I haven't quite worked that one out quite yet as well!

Look at the hits on this one

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=39747310&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1231376582

3800plus

I checked it out, mega traffic noise from freeway at back. If it was one or two streets further in im sure it would get $350+

someone mentioned that one recently....

apparently its been confirmed that its too loud,

however even if the noise wasn't there, what are your reasons for $350k, the house looks nice, maybe neater then others, its a little closer to the beach, land is 571sq m and on the small size, from first glance, id say it looks like its worth $230-$240k.. unless Im completely missing something

also, when you say Belevedere end, are you saying to buy on the belvedere side of seaford road?

I'm just across from Belvedere shops. Directly across from Seaford Hotel in the side street. I like this area because it feels like your living in Seaford..

and also, where is Oliver's Hill, can't seem to find it on the googlemaps.

P.S please don't take offence to this, 2/14 candlebark says expecting 250k-$270k seems slightly overpriced, oh just wait the photos of what it looks like now, and you get a new fully built one !! if thats the case thats much better, but I think it still might be overpriced... just my opinion

I wouldn't touch those 2, just showing that people are sub-dividing in the area.

also, whats your opinion on rosemary drv and tamarisk drive in that they have the reserve on the other side of the road, do you think that is a POS, NEG or Neutral, I haven't quite worked that one out quite yet as well![/QUOTE]

Don't touch Tamarisk Drive, is a very nice quiet pocket but the new Frankston Bypass will be running along there

Don't touch Tamarisk Drive, is a very nice quiet pocket but the new Frankston Bypass will be running along there

oh ok. do you know of a map that shows the bypass in greater detail, I just want to get a feel of what to avoid, do you have any other no go streets??? lucky you told me....

also, I have surprisingly found a property in north selling for between $215k-$225k but is currently renting for $250 per week, which is quite high from what I've seen, Ive looked at (photos only) land component is average, house is average, location is where everyone else is,

does this mean its a bargain????? just curious.

Bypass should put more demand on Frankston North property as it will be on the right side of the bypass. Suburbs inland like Carum Downs, Langwarren & Sky will be on wrong side of tracks and sprawl.........

Had a friend of mine (I lived in frankston for 12 years) check this one out for me. Very quiet area and very well maintained. not looking to buy but always looking :)

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=36928041&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1231387805

Andrew

thanks for the link,have contacted the agent, waiting for the reply.

just on first impressions, its quite nice, but I think its quite far out from the seaside and it does seem over priced at $260k unless the land is massive.... unless I have missed something

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your input, keep up the good work!

As for potential for frankston, north, south and centre as suburbs, I have already made my mind up on what I think of them and I am happy with them so no need to try and convince me:D:D:D

anyways, seeing you own more then one in this area, can you please give us your feedback on a few Qs (its going to be long...sorry)

it almost seems that properties selling for $210-$230k in North and renting for about $190-$210 which yields about 4.8% while $250-$280k in South are also reneting for about $200-$220 per week which is a about 4%.

Firstly I am finding the yields to be a bit low for my liking, other bluechip suburbs are yielding 4-4.2% so hence with an area that is a bit further out the yields to be quite poor. I often see other people here, purchase properties for say $285k and rent them out for $320 per week, so this low yield is bothering me at the moment, I think there is more potential in North and still lots of potential for South but South would be safer!

also, the median of the north is something like $230k, while the median for South is about $410k, so obviously buying a good property well under the median is a good sign as the property is always catching up! so hence why I dont understand why a property for $230k in north vs $280k in the south would rent basically the same,

I understand that most of the cheaper ones in the South are newer neater 2 -3 bdr units (the odd house) that require not much work, while the North ones are all usually much older 3 bdr houses, (some require work, some require lots of work, some require not much/nil work), but I would have expected someone would prefer to rent in a nicer suburb with newer housing for the same price even though the land is smaller and with a smaller garden, just as the argument someone put through that a person who is going to rent out an old house in north won't pay extra for a slightly bigger garden.

also, in regards to subdividing, when I went through the other day through the north, I didn't see many properties that had been or were being subdivided, so do you think there is anything that is holding it back???

also, this leads to my next question ,suppose you found a property with a big land component with a shabby house on it with land division potential, if no-one is doing it then yes, you might become an innovator, however, there are more risks associated with being a trend setter, so if you found a good one, lets say the average price was $230k and you found one with a big chunk of land for $275k, however it might have development potential but if you aren't going to do it immediately, then the house is shabbier, you have paid extra for it, however, your rent will be the same or lower compared to other properties so your yields drop, hence it costs more to hold on to it, so I think buying a potential sub division and not doing anything to it might be the wrong strategy, what do you think, I ve been looking at 3bdr houses, which mind you look all similar, but the larger land components are asking for more..... so I'm a bit unsure what to do.

and finally, you mentioned frankston central, Im not too sure yet of what the differences between central and north are? maybe central slightly dearer and a bit more closer, very similar to the north but just closer, and completetly different to the South

and finally x2, you seem to be aware of Seaford as well, I only drove through it and I thought wow, nice, closer to the city, this area must be $500k+ but re.com.au reveals its only in the $300ks, can you tell me what you think of this area, I'd buy in all of them if I could but it just seems that Seaford might have a bigger chance of booming, I know that Frankston has better infrastructure at the moment though....

thanks for reading my looong post everyone!

Olivers Hills is an area known to the locals and agents as being directly off Cliff Road, preferably beach side, however, this seems to have extended to anything beach side of Kars Street. The closer to the city end, or beach, the better, but this select area is very pricey to buy into.

The best part of Seaford, upto now, has been anything beachside of the freeway, but again, can be a little pricey.

I personally stay clear of Main Roads, however, there does seem to be exceptions to this on parts of Cranbourne Road where some commercial offices, medical suites etc. are being built and/or renovated for business use.

As for the price variance with regards to Frankston South 2 bdrm units versus Frankston North 3 bdrm homes, I would suspect that young families often prefer a minimum of 3 bdrms and a little land for the kids to play, thus the lower end price range, being Frankston North, would do well.

Frankston North is being subdivided and its overall image is and will continue to change.

Frankston South is a little more up market with some parts of Frankston South being located within the Frankston High School zone, an area sought after for those wishing to attend the school, which is so highly regarded. You also have the Uni, transport and other amenities close by.

Frankston Central has been highlighted as one of the main areas in Frankston to benefit from the Governments zoning changes, which is expected to be announced shortly. Now as for what part of central and whether or not being located close to the freeway will negatively effect developers, who knows???

Toni

Last edited:
really?

overpriced really? What is going on with prices down there? Why are they so cheap apart from being an hour away from the city. It seems to have everything close by... train station, shopping centers with movie complex, bus stops, schools, beach and a marina coming. By close I mean couple of minutes drive away though.

Andrew

overpriced really? What is going on with prices down there? Why are they so cheap apart from being an hour away from the city. It seems to have everything close by... train station, shopping centers with movie complex, bus stops, schools, beach and a marina coming. By close I mean couple of minutes drive away though.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1231387805 Andrew

I looked into this property some months ago. It started around the $300K mark, and now has gone stale. Overpriced, no, just stale with a bad agency.

I personally would be looking into central Frankston. Just settled on PPOR here just prior to X'Mas.

Closer to the water the better. So much more going for it than the other areas mentioned, although all are good.

A local agent who offered me a job a couple of months ago, mentioned also the planning and high-rise development being touted for central Frankston, that few know about.

The area just last Saturday, was discussed on radio as being the area to buy in.

It couldn't be more plainly obvious IMO, regarding Frankston's future.

I looked into this property some months ago. It started around the $300K mark, and now has gone stale. Overpriced, no, just stale with a bad agency.

I personally would be looking into central Frankston. Just settled on PPOR here just prior to X'Mas.

I'm not sure if its the same agent again, but if you talk to the agent, he gave me a background of what is happening with the vendor, tenants and the sale process, and it sounds like an ABSOLUTE DISASTER!!!

I'm with oneup, i'd give my left nut for a prop in Frankston Central. The place is so run down but its surrounded by everything you need! Long term you can't go wrong... I recon other areas of Frankston will ride along on its coat tails and rise accordingly

Closer to the water the better. So much more going for it than the other areas mentioned, although all are good.

A local agent who offered me a job a couple of months ago, mentioned also the planning and high-rise development being touted for central Frankston, that few know about.

The area just last Saturday, was discussed on radio as being the area to buy in.

It couldn't be more plainly obvious IMO, regarding Frankston's future.

unfortuantely, my knowledge of frankston central is not as good as north/south, however the potential of this area, I don't need any convincing

however, I'm sure you know that you can find proprerties in the north for about $220, and south for about $300k,

I just did a re.com.au search, and you can still pick up a few Frankston central properties for $220k-$230k,

I don't doubt the potential of central, south and north, however, if I had a choice of the 3 areas, I am not too sure which to go for..

I mean, naturally central would be the most popular one, however, im a bit surprised why they are almost the same price as the north.......

I just did a re.com.au search, and you can still pick up a few Frankston central properties for $220k-$230k,

I mean, naturally central would be the most popular one, however, im a bit surprised why they are almost the same price as the north.......

I'm sure I don't need to remind you, that what looks good in a photo, much of the time can be nothing like the reality.

As a home renovator with house #5 around these parts (in 3 years), I pretty much knew (until very recently) every house/price/location etc... better than every agent I met up with in my search for the next 'renovators delight'.

There are a few properties around the $240 mark, but typically they need a mile of work, or are right next to the freeway, or are located in Karingal (which is OK but not the same as Central Frankston IMO).

There are many houses I looked into some months ago, which are still for sale. One was on McMahons road which was an excellent potential-type property, but literally, right on the freeway on-ramp! :eek:

Send a R/E link if you wish, for I may be familiar with the house, and give you my opinion from the research I've done, then you can make up your own mind.

Frankston Marina

A time frame has been adopted, with required amendments to the Frankston Planning Scheme to be made by the end of this year and tenders to be called for from early 2009. A Successful tenderer is expected to be announced in June, 2009

Toni[/QUOTE]

Certainly good news regarding the marina progress to Tender. I only hope
the successful Tender can secure the $35m+ finance to proceed. I believe
only 2 of the 4 Aust banks would currently finance to that amount. To
wait 6 months for a preferred Developer might be to late (fingers crossed)

SS
PS been away for the last 6 weeks, went straight to pick up Bob and headed down to the foreshore last Saturday evening. It might just be me, but there was a great vibe happening with very little bogin activity.

Hi all, on the prowl again looking for IP # 3. A few months back, I studied Frankston and Frankston South a fair bit, as well as Reservoir which is about 12km's out from the city. Ended up buying in Reservoir closer to the Preston side, as it just felt right at the time. Have started to re-investigate and to my surprise, Frankston and Frankston South house prices have dropped considerably over the last 6 months compared to other parts of inner city Melbourne.

I'm probably telling others how to suck eggs, but one thing which this has been highlighted in my experience, is that the outer suburbs are getting hit hardest. With a recession on everybody's lips and with more jobs about to go no doubt, I wonder how much more these outer suburbs will suffer in 2009.

Will be keeping my cheque book close by as some good buying opportunities will no doubt present themselves over the next year, if I decide to buy here that is(The drop in property prices here has shocked me!, not very "blue chip" at all!!!). How much? Who knows, but once inner city starts to fall overall, I reckon you'll be looking at another 10%???? I'd hate to be selling in Franga's now, as opposed to my Reservoir IP which has probably gained 5% over the last 6 months.

No doubt Frankston has strong prospects and positives going for it, and those who have invested there have done their due diligence, but it appears Eastlink, Government spending, talk of the marina, etc, etc are not helping at all. One wonders what else needs to happen for this area to take off or at least stabilize.

Last edited:
Back