Qld State Govt approves New Logan Planning Scheme. Start in May

How lenient are the council on block corner size for dual living dev? I have 2 corner blocks in Logan both 685m2

You can have dual occupancy ( aux or 2 title), but you're limited in bedrooms you can have... likely be a 3 bed + 2 bed configuration. If you existing dwelling is 4 bed, then new dwelling is 1 bed. You can mimic the drawings you submit for approval...

How lenient are the council on block corner size for dual living dev? I have 2 corner blocks in Logan both 685m2

You can have dual occupancy ( aux or 2 title), but you're limited in bedrooms you can have... likely be a 3 bed + 2 bed configuration. If you existing dwelling is 4 bed, then new dwelling is 1 bed. You can mimic the drawings you submit for approval...

For Encarta's 2 blocks of 685m, RR, the number of equivalent dwellings at net density at 28.5 dwellings per hectare (for corner block) = 1.95225
That's very close to 2.0. I remember a Logan Planning telling me that they won't be too mechanistic about the numbers. Or is -15m still a reach too far?

Does anyone know the minimum size block in Logan Central for granny flat after this change?

May I ask what is the zoning and precinct for your block in Logan Central? The reason why I ask is that some of the land in Logan Central is zoned 'Centre zone' land.

Hi Encarta, I know someone using Darryl/RPI's company Pro Town Planners for a subdivision. When I get into contact with Darryl, I want RPI to turn my townhouse zoning to APARTMENT zoning! MWAHAHAHAHA! :D

Hi Beanie Girl, checked my contract all it says is residential. The size is 604m2.

It's probably zoned R600 under the old scheme, now probably zoned Low Density residential, 'suburban' precinct.
No problem at all for auxiliary unit 70m 2 bedder, miscg. There's no minimum lot size stated in the new Logan planning scheme to build an auxiliary unit for all residential land. The general rule is if you have

a lot that is below 1000m, allowed to build 70m auxiliary unit
a lot that is above 1000m, allowed to build 100m auxiliary unit

Auxiliary units can be rented to separate households.

But if you are zoned

Zone Precinct
Low-Medium density residential (LMR) - townhouse or apartment
Medium density residential - High rise or medium rise

Then it's a whole new ball game with more intense development allowed for the land with different net density calculations.

Awesome thank Beanie Girl. I will check zoning with council tomorrow.

It's probably zoned R600 under the old scheme, now probably zoned Low Density residential, 'suburban' precinct.
No problem at all for auxiliary unit 70m 2 bedder, miscg. There's no minimum lot size stated in the new Logan planning scheme to build an auxiliary unit for all residential land. The general rule is if you have

a lot that is below 1000m, allowed to build 70m auxiliary unit
a lot that is above 1000m, allowed to build 100m auxiliary unit

Auxiliary units can be rented to separate households.

But if you are zoned

Zone Precinct
Low-Medium density residential (LMR) - townhouse or apartment
Medium density residential - High rise or medium rise

Then it's a whole new ball game with more intense development allowed for the land with different net density calculations.

Awesome thank Beanie Girl. I will check zoning with council tomorrow.

hey miscg, a quick way of finding out your zone and precinct is to check the Logan Interactive Map, really nifty tool. Just key in your suburb, street and street number. Then click 'Property Info' on top left to activate tool, then point and click on your lot in the map. The 'zone' and zone precinct' information will appear.

http://www.loganinteractivemapping.com.au/

Hi BG, thanks for the link. It is low density residential.

100% to be in 'suburban' precinct because your property is in Logan Central.
Suburban precinct is most common precinct for LDR in Logan Central.
No problems at all to build a 70m 2 bedder auxiliary unit on your lot, miscg.

In Melbourne, a 70m apartment is considered large for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Awesome. Thanks BG, that's some good news.

100% to be in 'suburban' precinct because your property is in Logan Central.
Suburban precinct is most common precinct for LDR in Logan Central.
No problems at all to build a 70m 2 bedder auxiliary unit on your lot, miscg.

In Melbourne, a 70m apartment is considered large for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Ive been looking at a block in Underwood which already has an existing house. The block is over 700m2 corner block and there is plenty of room to build a GF.

But my only worry is the existing house has quite a large footprint already. Are there limitations on % of block utilised? So does it cap out at 70% for example, because i think i would be pushing it with a 2 bdrm GF.

Ive been looking at a block in Underwood which already has an existing house. The block is over 700m2 corner block and there is plenty of room to build a GF.

But my only worry is the existing house has quite a large footprint already. Are there limitations on % of block utilised? So does it cap out at 70% for example, because i think i would be pushing it with a 2 bdrm GF.

Hi Colonz, I have trawled through both the Draft Logan Plan and the Revised Logan Plan and I find both are silent on the 'maximum site cover' for low density residential - suburban precinct for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit). That is, they do not state the 'maximum site cover' for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) for low density residential - suburban precinct. They state maximum site cover for other precincts as quoted below. Do you know what 'precinct' the Underwood block of land falls under?

The Revised Logan documents don't seem to specify the 'maximum site cover' for a Dwelling house or Dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) for Low Density Residential Zone (LDR), 'Suburban' precinct

I can only find 'maximum site cover' for the following under 'Development Codes'

A Dwelling house or Dual occupancy (auxiliary
unit) has a maximum site cover of:
(a) 40 per cent in the Low density residential
zone - Large suburban precinct;
(b) 35 per cent in the Low density residential
zone - Small acreage precinct;
(c) 20 per cent or 700m2
, whichever is greater,
in the Low density residential zone - Acreage
precinct;
(d) in the Rural residential zone:
(i) 20 per cent or 700m2
, whichever is
greater, in the Park living precinct or
Park residential precinct; or​
(ii) 10 per cent or 700m2 , whichever is
greater, in the Carbrook precinct or
Cottage rural precinct;​
(e) 10 per cent or 700m2
, whichever is greater,
in the Emerging community zone,
Environmental management and
conservation zone or Rural zone

does anyone know what the setbacks are for a auxillary unit?

thanks

I find that the new Logan planning scheme is 'silent' on side and rear setbacks for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) under 'Criteria for self-assessable and assessable development'
There are no specifications for side and rear sidebacks in part 9.3.1.3 of 'Development Codes' . I can only find the following criteria for front setback and how far the auxiliary unit can be from the main dwelling house.

A09
A secondary dwelling or a Dual occupancy
(auxiliary unit):
(a) has a primary street setback equal to or
greater than the Dwelling house or primary
dwelling;
(b) is located a maximum of 20 metres from the
outermost projection of the Dwelling house or
primary dwelling

I suppose it's common sense to put some amount of rear and side setbacks even if there are no specifications. The auxiliary unit not being able to be more than 20 metres from the outermost projection of the primary dwelling would yield a sizeable rear setback. And the common auxiliary unit being 70m in size would not have such big site coverage that would leave little 'side setbacks' on the block.

I suppose the stated planning controls for 'auxiliary unit' - size, front setback, maximum distance from primary dwelling - are sufficient to set reasonable parameters/outcomes for 'side' and 'rear' setbacks.

Back