Question for web-heads: how to reclaim a website

Can anyone help me, a non-techie, with some problems?

I own and run 2 small busineses, separate but related. Each has a website which is maintained by the same web manager whom I paid to create and maintain the websites.

The first website's domain name is owned by me but the web manager arranged the hosting and does the maintenance.

The second website's domain name is owned and maintained by the web manager.

Here's the problem. The web manager has serious mental problems and suffers from a combination of agoraphobia and bipolar disorders. I was aware of these issues from the beginning, and being a soft touch, was persuaded to give her a chance. She assured me that all was well and under control with medication, and indeed everything has been ok.

Until now.

We are approaching the third year. She has become a recluse and there is no communication. My websites needs updating badly but she does not respond to any phone calls or emails.

The domain and hosting of the first website was just renewed prior to her going downhill.

The second website has not been renewed and I accept that I have to eliminate it (what's the right word?) and start afresh with a new domain name. It will be hard but doable since clients are already starting to refer to the business by an abbreviation. However, I need to make sure that the current website is off the air altogether otherwise things could get confusing.

Back to the first website and my question. Being the owner of the domain name, what can I do to reclaim it and pay someone else to manage it?

And for the second website, are there any sites around which allows low-tech-skilled people to create their own very simple websites that they can update whenever they like? I'm not looking for budget sites, just easy ones where I can have complete control over the content.

So, to summarise:
1. How do I reclaim my first website?
2. How do I make sure the second one does not float around in the ether forever?
3. Is there a way that I, non-techie, can create my own simple website?

Thanks for any advice.

with the first one you just need to call whoever hosts it and ask them to change the password.

with second one - i don't know the legislation in Au, but i'm pretty sure you can reclaim the domain name too (assuming it's .com.au)

So, to summarise:
1. How do I reclaim my first website?
The domain is owned by you, you can have it pointed to new hosting through whatever company it is registered with.
2. How do I make sure the second one does not float around in the ether forever?
The domain will expire eventually if no one keeps paying for it.
You may also be able to get control of it, depending on what type of domain it is.
3. Is there a way that I, non-techie, can create my own simple website?
It's possible, if you don't want a professional look - I work for a business that does web design, hosting, domain management so may be somewhat biased.

And for the second website, are there any sites around which allows low-tech-skilled people to create their own very simple websites that they can update whenever they like? I'm not looking for budget sites, just easy ones where I can have complete control over the content.

Have a play with Google Sites. I reckon it would be quite sufficient for many small businesses which just need need to show static pages. It's easily editable by a non-techie.

Depending on your customer base, consider also setting up a Facebook page for your business.

I'm a big fan of Drupal. For me anyway, setting up a Drupal website takes a few hours. Once set up, you can add to it and edit it as a non-techie very easily.

I can do one of those for a comparatively teensy sum if you want :D

Most people don't realise that theres 2 seperate parts to a website - the name of it and the 'storage' where the website is kept. These are usually registered through 2 different places.

Once you're aware of who/where the 2 places are, it's really just a matter of calling them and changing the password if you don't want the previous person to have access to it anymore. You can also specify to them which people are allowed to call in relation to the account. For example I'm listed as technical contact on some of my client's websites, meaning I can call up and change settings and such but not cancel it. (ie. remove the bipolar person from it!)

Chances are the person you're referring to didn't actually have either of the above themselves, they were just onselling it or handling it.

Are you willing to say what the domains are? We can then look them up to see where they are if you're unsure.

when you rebuild run with joomla...brilliant and google loves the coding....

if your chasing hits and real business fro the site rather than a presence on the net spend the money and get it optimized professionally using targeted keywords and phrases..

worth every cent....

R/Elf - thank you for your kindness - I'll PM you.

csc2 - I'm not "chasing hits" because the business would grow too big for me to handle presenting yet more problems - until I figure out the growth angle then I'll just use them as a presence.

dtraeger2K - I'd rather not say for the above reason. I'm in the music business and developed a tiny niche market.

Thanks to all responders. Info on what constitutes a website much appreciated - I obviously need learn more before this business gets any bigger.

The whole purpose of any website is for the public presence; why have one if you don't want it to be looked at?

The whole purpose of any website is for the public presence; why have one if you don't want it to be looked at?

Because I have enough clients at the moment. I'm using it to give information to the clients, and that info changes frequently - hence the reason to be on top of updates.

If the second one hasn't expired yet put in for a domain name grab with a few different places. Once it expires you may be able to get it. Also the previous person may have forgotten to register it as a non transfer and you may be able to transfer the registration to your own name.

Also it is possible to create a professional looking web site without going to a professional company as some hosting sites have extremely good set ups that allow you to choose from a large range of templates etc. As your not chasing new customers don't worry about SEO etc.

Back