Question Regarding Construction Certificate

HI Guys, Great forum I have been reading for awhile. Just a quick question:

I am about to get a DA approved soon (hopefully), and I need some advice regarding who I should go to for the CC. Either council or a private certifier. I am in NSW. My gut tells me to avoid council like a plague and get it to a private certifier as it will most likely be faster. My architect has a fee proposal of $2,850 which includes looking after the CC and also includes detailed drawings on: Electrical/lighting, ceiling plan, wet areas, kitchen and some other bits. Is it worth it to pay the $2850 to the architect (reasonable quote?) and have him take care of the CC through a private certifier? Or should I go through council?
The development is a duel occupancy town house.

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks guys.

Leo

Which council is it? Generally speaking I would go CC. In some cases its actually works out cheaper.

$2,850 could be cheap or expensive - it depends purely on the conditions of the CC.

At the end of the day - I would go through a private certifier.

I'm currently doing a number of residential construction projects in the Illawarra and having some drama's with a particular council and private certifier.

Personally i'd go with CC over private however they're all crap in my opinion. I think it's better to deal directly with council rather than a private certifier.

Guys thanks for your input so far. The council is Parramatta City Council.

Does anyone else have an opinion as to whether CC or private certifier?

Cheers

Leo

I remember that there is some angst between council & pc as it is seen as taking work from the council building inspectors.

Last edited:
It baffles me as to why you would go council vs PC. I would rather get a frontal lobotomy than deal with the council.

Good PC's are quicker, more flexible and can turnaround documentation much faster than the council.

Thanks for all your input guys.

I was leaning towards PC and I think the general consensus from most of you is that that's the way to go. I would imagine for the reasons Shahin mentioned in terms of quicker turnaround and more flexibility its the way to go. Also I don't particularly like to get council involved in anything if there is a legitimate way around them. Ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks again guys.

Leo

Back