Questions about Draftsmen

I am trying to pick a draftsman for a project that is going to turn an existing house and it's extension into a dual occupancy.

Other than the drawings I need to address things such as parking space for each dwelling, private open space etc.

I wonder if there is a way to pick the right drafty for the job. Most of them should be able to draw the plans but when it comes to addressing the variations I need to make, statement of environmental effects etc, although they say that they can address them too I am not sure if their work will be good enough to get it approved by the council.

Is there a way to try and filter the good and bad when it comes to draftsmen? Are they governed by anything such as board of architects? Will they be qualified to address things such as variations and environmental effects?

You either need a draftsman or architect who is very familiar with the council DCP or you need to be very familiar with the DCP/LEP and brief your draftsman properly. Do you have a proper survey to work from? You could do a rough sketch yourself with dimensions from the boundary, expected building height planes, etc and make an appointment with the duty planner at council to ensure your final plan will comply.
Otherwise you could use a private town planner but this will be the most expensive option.

You either need a draftsman or architect who is very familiar with the council DCP or you need to be very familiar with the DCP/LEP and brief your draftsman properly. Do you have a proper survey to work from? You could do a rough sketch yourself with dimensions from the boundary, expected building height planes, etc and make an appointment with the duty planner at council to ensure your final plan will comply.
Otherwise you could use a private town planner but this will be the most expensive option.

The trouble is when you go online to search for draftsmen in an area there is a whole bunch of them that nominate themselves to service everywhere and you can't know who may or may not know that particular council. They all claim to know the council.

Architects are way too expensive for what I need. I had one quote at 13k.

Basically all the structures are already built and I am not adding to it. I just need to address issues such as fire-rated walls, parking for each dwelling, windows, doors, private open space, and new kitchen for the second dwelling.

I have spoken to the duty planner at the council. According to them I need to address the issues above.

I don't think I need a survey for it because I am not building anything extra.

The problems I have is that the second dwelling has ample parking. But in order to create parking for the primary front dwelling I need to convert a part of the covered porch into parking but this may only allow for one parking spot of 5.5 * 2.5 whereas according to council when you have living areas above 125 sqm you need 2 parking spots.

The other issue is the council requires 100sqm open private space for the primary dwelling that is 125 sqm and above whereas I may only be able to allocated around 70 to 80 sqm open private space for this dwelling.

So there are issues that need to be addressed and I am wondering if a draftsman can address them or I should go straight to a town planner.

It sounds like you will need to apply for a variation to both if you can't satisfy the consent conditions. You could go to a private town planner for an initial consultation which may not cost much. This may give you some valuable information such as whether there are precendents where other people have been granted these types of variations.

It sounds like you will need to apply for a variation to both if you can't satisfy the consent conditions. You could go to a private town planner for an initial consultation which may not cost much. This may give you some valuable information such as whether there are precendents where other people have been granted these types of variations.

Yep, I will still need to draft the plans hence the need for draftsmen but can a private town planner draw the plans and address the variations?

I have had a few quotes from draftsmen who want to charge a bit extra but will write the statement of environmental effects etc. I am not sure if it will be good enough.

Are town planners best positioned to address variations and why they are justified rather than architects and draftsmen? Do they need to visit the site in order to give a quotation on their work? Do they draw plans at all?

Have you tried a civil engineer company that deals with subdivisions and developments etc? They could handle all you need.
to me an architect makes things look pretty, not work. And draftsmen draw for the engineers although good ones could cover a fair chunk of what your after but hard to find. And town planners sounds expensive, like consultants.
Have i offended enough professions yet??

Engineers will come in once it is approved not before. Right now we need someone who can argue with council over their politic rather than what makes sense.

Yep, I will still need to draft the plans hence the need for draftsmen but can a private town planner draw the plans and address the variations?

I know of one in my area who's company will handle everything from planning through to drafting but I'm not sure if this is uncommon. Sounds like you need to get on the phone and make some more enquiries.

Are town planners best positioned to address variations and why they are justified rather than architects and draftsmen? Do they need to visit the site in order to give a quotation on their work? Do they draw plans at all?

It all comes down to experience with your particular situation in your particular council. Like I said, make more phone calls to all of these professionals and pin them down to your specific needs and whether or not they have what it takes to get the approval through. Local architects should know town planning requirements quite well but private town planners should know them thoroughly. Draftsmen generally don't know that much about detailed town planning. Of course, there are always exceptions.

What is the size of the extension in SQM?

I went through similar exercise few years ago with Blacktown Council.
The house had an extension. The extension was about 80m2.

I used a draftsman to do the plans and drawings for dual occupancy. It was rejected by the council due to lack of open space and parking.

Later I got my draftsman to redraw and converted 60m2 extension into a attached granny flat instead.

Dual occ requires open space and parking, but you can have the second dwelling larger than 60m2 which could be attractive.

Granny Flat does not require open space and parking requirements., but is limited to 60m2. may this could be your fall back option.

A $1200 draftsman have very little knowledge of council specific requirement for open space and car space. You asked them what to draw and they will do, which could save money in lieu of using an architect.

I would assess what property are advertising underdevelopment currently.
Get a set of their plans from council - follow their progress and reach out to the draftsmen/architect if sucessful as they would just have had experience with council for that project. Then find out what other projects they have had in the area

Back