Quitting work to hang out at home?

With over 20 weeks annual leave and as many weeks long service leave up my sleeve, my employers are pushing me to take a recharge break..... I guess my work's recharging me too much....

The Y-man

After a recent break I've still got about 16 weeks still owing, though there's no long service leave provisions

I was actually interested to hear if more people are taking these gap years so to speak.

Took a gap year over 4 years ago and never went back. Still out here, so to speak.

Have got about 60 years left in retirement. Don't need to ask anyone jack squat.

Investing in commercial real estate has been a most worthwhile and productive pursuit.

Turn the TV off.

I'm almost jealous that they have had the courage to take a break, assess their priorities and put themselves first.

Therein lies the crux of the matter, most people are too scared to take the break or change direction in life.

You can always make more money, but you can't buy more time.

So many people wish their life away waiting for the weekend or their next holiday or ............

a few key views from me:

1. to PAYG people: doing your own business does not equal heaps of money/free time/sitting on the beach sipping mojitos while you try and spend your every increasing bank balance. Whats the stat, 9 out of 10 business fail in the first 5 years, when I do a business, I plan for zero income for the first 12 months, and a high probability that it will die off. If you have started your own biz and its going well, well done, you are a part of a minority group

2. No point in dwelling on life's "what ifs", its usually the people that are too scared/gutless/comfortable that talk about seachanges/quitting their job to take time off.

3. Most people are "ALL TALK NO ACTION" especially men, dont take these people too seriously

4. You only have one chance at life, use it wisely

5. if you have taken a chance and its paid off, dont let anyone say to you "oh you are so lucky, i wish i was as lucky as you, why do people have all the luck while I have to slave away at my $800k mortgage for my mcmansion", I simply reply "Its got nothing to do with luck, I took a risk, and it paid off, I take responsibility for my actions good and bad, so should you and not complain about it, you didnt hear me complain when I was stone broke"

6. there is no right or wrong to live a life,

5. if you have taken a chance and its paid off, dont let anyone say to you "oh you are so lucky, i wish i was as lucky as you, why do people have all the luck while I have to slave away at my $800k mortgage for my mcmansion", I simply reply "Its got nothing to do with luck, I took a risk, and it paid off, I take responsibility for my actions good and bad, so should you and not complain about it, you didnt hear me complain when I was stone broke"

I HATE IT when people say to me "oh your so lucky" or they try to reverse engineer what I have done and disect it saying it's because of XYZ that I am where I am.

My response is always along the lines of the only luck I had was I was born in this country that offers a lot of opportunity, the rest I worked for.

Some people do get lucky and get extremely good financial rewards from it but I think even for the average person there is no excuse to not have a go to try and least make something of themselves and not have to rely on the government for asistance.

With over 20 weeks annual leave and as many weeks long service leave up my sleeve, my employers are pushing me to take a recharge break..... I guess my work's recharging me too much....

The Y-man

I can't get hubby to take any hols - he's to worried there'll be a pink slip on his desk if he takes time off.

Fine by me as they all add up to one big holiday in the end - tho would be good if he could cut down to 4 days a week

I'm currently having a middle-aged gap year. The opportunity came up to take a voluntary redundancy package and I grabbed it. Although I liked my work, I was feeling pretty worn out after being a working single Mum for 21 years.

This year I am doing a Masters at uni and some volunteer work, and I'm really loving my time out. I have enough money to support myself for the year from the redundancy & long service leave payout. But I will need to top up my super when I do get back into paid work, and I have had to put my property investing on hold. Also, there is a risk that I wont get another job for ages , or I wont get one at the same pay level.

For me, I reckon that the positive impact on my wellbeing outweighs the negative impact on my financial position. I think that when I do go back, I will be refreshed and feeling more enthusiastic about working another 21 years till retirement.

That sounds great AD. Good for you. I am sort of having time out from paid work, I've been a SAHM for several years now and while I'm busy with children, the break from the workforce has been amazing. Most of the investing has happened in this time. Though if my partner wanted to take a GAP year I'd probably go back to work so he could. Sounds like most of the people here who are taking time have it well calculated.

.... oh yeah, reminds me this is my 24th year in the job....that'll be one big pink slip and hell of a tax bill.... :(

The Y-man

Quit on the 1st July <insert year here> :D

I can't get hubby to take any hols - he's to worried there'll be a pink slip on his desk if he takes time off.

Fine by me as they all add up to one big holiday in the end - tho would be good if he could cut down to 4 days a week

Happened to me once, I hadn't taken Holidays for a couple of years and was suggested to do so by the foreman as it was a quiet period, when I came back he'd given my job to his son who had been made redundant :(

I HATE IT when people say to me "oh your so lucky" or they try to reverse engineer what I have done and disect it saying it's because of XYZ that I am where I am.

My response is always along the lines of the only luck I had was I was born in this country that offers a lot of opportunity, the rest I worked for.

I used to do the same as you but now I just smile and nod in agreement with them while saying "yes, I am lucky and I hope you can also be lucky someday". The haters make me stronger :)

To the contrary sitting at home doing nothing doesn't seem very interesting to me. Sitting on your **** isn't living its existing you need a fulfilling life as well as a full belly.

It saddens me to hear people sit on their asses at home and do nothing when there is so much to see and do in this world.

I used to do the same as you but now I just smile and nod in agreement with them while saying "yes, I am lucky and I hope you can also be lucky someday". The haters make me stronger :)

Or I sometimes say, "ya make ya own luck !!!"
or
"ya gotta be in it to win it !!!"

At the end of the day, I envy these people you know and I certainly don't know ANYBODY that is doing the same under 55 and even find it hard to understand how anyone could do this.

In Darwin, you either rent at around $550p/w or you have a mortgage which is the same, and then some. In the standard 30 years you may pay this off and then be able to take some time off. By then you should be around 55 or so.

Or, you might rent with friends, pretty easy then but you'll most likely be doing this all your life and never amount to much, Okay if yuou're happy with that though.

Once we pay the PPOR off I really look forward to the choice. BUT, we must then invest once again into cashflow assetts.

Hiya

My mum (wise old lady:p)always tell me that the minute i let other people's remarks affect me, i give up power over to them to influence how i feel.....that piece of advice has carried me all my life:p and i tell it regularly to my kids...:D

But back to the original question, i have given up work (was a CPA in my previous life) to twiddle and twaddle at home...but funnily, my net worth has increased since then as i have more time to plot...i have more time to relax and also network with other ladies...

Why! just last week, unintentionally while meeting a new mum, she has given me a great idea that if i were to carry out, would net me a passive income of $1k per month:D

Hiya

My mum (wise old lady:p)always tell me that the minute i let other people's remarks affect me, i give up power over to them to influence how i feel.....that piece of advice has carried me all my life:p and i tell it regularly to my kids...:D

what others think of you is none of your Business ................ a classic.

Just like what came out of Singo's mouth the other nite when the race stewards fined him 15 k for "disrepute" etc

A journo asked him "how do you feel now that your reputation is in tatters"

His retort to the media was something along the likes of "my self-respect is fine thank you, reputation is what others think of you"

While I'm not saying that your reputation is not important, we should also not necessarily run allies around the attitudes of others, as hard as that sometimes is.

thanks

Rolf

my ultimate form of revenge or "satisfaction" moment is when my risk has paid off and i am doing better then the person who says "oh you are so lucky" to me,

while I take off to the airport on my fortnight os holiday of sun, pina coladas ,

while they stare at their big *** tv while driving around in their brand new holden (depreciation mobile) and moan about how tough life is

never ever gets old.

but I have issues :D:D:D

Given the opportunity I think anyone would do this.

We sold a very profitable and growing business because we got completely disenchanted.

It's a cliche, but money doesn't buy happiness - in our case, it did the opposite. I was a miserable 30 year old driving a super car and running a very successful business.

We are now on a lower level of income, but more than enough to be comfortable. I get to spend all day with my wife and 1 year old little girl, and I couldn't be happier.

Ting tong they sit on their bum at home because they haven't calculated the move to stay home and so can't afford to 'see the world'. That's why I started the thread. I'm astounded people give up work or their income when they are needing savings or redraw to do it. Obviously as others have pointed out maybe it's better to stay home and watch your kids grow, than be at a job disenchanted.

A mate of mine has moved to Valencia in Spain for 6 months for a lifestyle change.... He hasn't quit work but was able to negotiate a deal with his boss to be able to work from home there as long as he took a 60% pay cut.. Also the cost of living is extremely cheap compared to Moscow...

His wife is studying spanish everyday and loving the Spanish lifestyle.

But back to the original question, i have given up work (was a CPA in my previous life) to twiddle and twaddle at home...but funnily, my net worth has increased since then as i have more time to plot...i have more time to relax and also network with other ladies...

I have always felt most regular jobs get in the way of making money. Never had one, god forbid i ever have to.

Back