Quitting work to hang out at home?

I called it the "sheltered workshop".:p

Kill me now.

The concept that someone else has to validate my worth to get a promotion never appealed to me.

Until I have a big enough base though, 9-5 (more like 6-6) work it is.

*edit* I remember after a year at work I was given a $3k pay rise. That weekend I went and upped the rent, locked down 2 mortgages and gave myself an $9k payrise.

For most people, work is a waste of life but unfortunately a necessary evil.

If you have no family and kids, relax and go enjoy life.

More that for most have been conditioned to be good little worker bees, even if they don't have to. 9-5, 48 weeks a year, retire at 65. That's the drum beat for most Aussies life.

Tell a person you're going to start a business which isn't a franchise or a trade. I generally see a sense of fear/anxiety come build up subconsciously.

I remember being at a christening a year ago, there was a group mingling. One of the participants asked another what they do, he replied "Oh this and that, I've wanted to take up art classes(3d design). The 'questioner' then repeatedly asked what he did for a living until he mentioned he let out that he is retired, at 40. The facial expression of 'Does Not Compute" is forever etched into my mind.

nothing wrong with a PAYG job, horses for courses

when I finished up one of my businesses, the only thing I wanted was a PAYG job that I could finish 9-5 and forget about it.........for a while

everybody has different risk tolerance levels,

I know guys on almost $150k+, 2 unencombered IPs, no mortgage, very frugal lifestyle, and yet if they are asked to take unpaid leave over christmas, they cant sleep

More that for most have been conditioned to be good little worker bees, even if they don't have to. 9-5, 48 weeks a year, retire at 65. That's the drum beat for most Aussies life.

Tell a person you're going to start a business which isn't a franchise or a trade. I generally see a sense of fear/anxiety come build up subconsciously.

I remember being at a christening a year ago, there was a group mingling. One of the participants asked another what they do, he replied "Oh this and that, I've wanted to take up art classes(3d design). The 'questioner' then repeatedly asked what he did for a living until he mentioned he let out that he is retired, at 40. The facial expression of 'Does Not Compute" is forever etched into my mind.

My cheese and kisses (see what I did there :D ) has gotten to the point where she's fed up with the looks from parents.

She's now telling them that she's retired at 44 and I work for fun and not very hard.

She now gets the same "Does Not Compute" looks, knowing where we live and what we drive around in.

This from people whose husbands are accountants/senior execs etc, they're brokers/para legals etc, have HUGE houses with HUGE extensions, go on their 3 holidays a year and have their flashy cars.

Some have asked exactly what we do and have asked for more info. Others think we're way too risky and we'll get burnt when the market drops (been hearing that for 10 years now and it's water off a ducks back).

She's now telling them that she's retired at 44 and I work for fun and not very hard.

It's not that unusual though, to have one partner not working while the other one is.

Perhaps they look at her funny because she states you work for fun when most people work for money :D.

I'm working towards not having a job - but it's probably the newbie in me that wonders how you fund the investments without one? I mean in terms of getting loans approved.

I think we could live just fine from investing (renovating/small development) but I don't have the cash to buy outright so I need loans = I need a job until I build up enough cash.

My cheese and kisses (see what I did there :D ) has gotten to the point where she's fed up with the looks from parents.

She now gets the same "Does Not Compute" looks, knowing where we live and what we drive around in.

This from people whose husbands are accountants/senior execs etc, they're brokers/para legals etc, have HUGE houses with HUGE extensions, go on their 3 holidays a year and have their flashy cars.

Some have asked exactly what we do and have asked for more info. Others think we're way too risky and we'll get burnt when the market drops (been hearing that for 10 years now and it's water off a ducks back).

I have heard of people going to work for money but if you are going to work for fun well geeez, I can recommend a good shrink...... snap out of it:p

The reaction one would receive by stating you work for fun would not be good as mentioned, as it is like rubbing salt in someones wound.

Unfortunately these comments will bring out the green eyed monster in many.

Heh, I like that MTR :D

If you are just sooo over the moon with your job then thats great, but that has nothing to do with any kind of reason to not be financially independant. Not saying thats what's happening here but you hear it from most folks who are poor

Heh, I like that MTR :D

If you are just sooo over the moon with your job then thats great, but that has nothing to do with any kind of reason to not be financially indipendant.

You got the wrong end of the stick, am not having a go at anyone who wants to be financially independent, on the contrary, I am all about creating income streams so one has choices in life, to do whatever tickles their fancy.
BTW my comments to Hotrod were not intended to offend, just an opinion, as they say everyone has one just like belly buttons:)

I don't have a job, retired I think about 8 years ago to pursue property stuff, am a f-time property investor.
I was a public servant, yes one of those and was doing my property stuff at work cos there was nothing to do, as I mentioned I called it "the sheltered workshop", when I left they employed 2 people to do my job..... go figure that one;)

Last edited:
I was a public servant, yes one of those and was doing my property stuff at work cos there was nothing to do, as I mentioned I called it "the sheltered workshop", when I left they employed 2 people to do my job..... go figure that one;)

That's very disappointing to hear - yet again from a public servant.

That's very disappointing to hear - yet again from a public servant.

It's one of the problems with the redundancy system as well.

Eager public servants with transferable skills will jump at the chance to get some extra cash and go and get a job in the private sector. The dead wood who don't do anything will stay around.

BTW I worked for a public psychiatric hospital, most think of public servants as pen pushers, the public servants I worked with were doctors, nurses, allied health staff.

The stories I could tell would make your hair curl.

Nurses performing double shifts at different hospitals, perhaps an overlap of 1 hour, nurses covering for each other. Hard to believe right, it happens, psych hospitals close to each other, so the nurse is working for the public sector while also doing agency work (private), earning close to what a doctor is earning. So how does she stay alert working day and night shift, she does not, she sleeps at night on night shift, cos the patients are elderly and have dementia, who is going to tell

The doctor who knocks off work each day at 11.00 am after his morning round, he lived around the corner from the hospital, always available on phone except when he is sailing, I think that was Thursdays, he still is in this system.

I really do find it amusing when their is continual propaganda from Nurses unions, same old tune "over worked and under paid".

The reaction one would receive by stating you work for fun would not be good as mentioned, as it is like rubbing salt in someones wound.

Unfortunately these comments will bring out the green eyed monster in many.

I agree with this and have been on the receiving end a few times until I decided I needed a story. Retiring at 36yo doesn't cut it especially when you look 5 years younger :p
I don't live a millionaire lifestyle and stay in 5 star hotels but I travel a lot so when I meet new acquaintances I tell them I'm a farmer from Argentina. I've met the odd person who then tries to speak Portuguese with me but I tell them I want to practise my English.

I have friends who have done the same

Friends of mine have also done this, although they decided to still work in menial jobs. Sold their house in Brisbane, move to hervey bay, bought a house one street back from the beach, no debt, living the dream.. Very tempting to do.

one of my intentions, once I can do absolutely whatever I want is to go back to work a couple of nights a week in a bar or a upper class restaurant, since thats were one of my true passions lie, and ill be happy to get my $15 per hour cash in hand

Back