Rabbits and Renting (Worlds dumbest question)

I'm very pro registration/spaying of ANY pet, personally. Irresponsible cat owners are just as bad, cats breed faster than dogs and having a hoarde of undesexed cats roaming, spraying and fighting is bloody annoying. Any kind of 'bad' pet its generally the owners at issue anyway, not the animal so much. Spaying the owners would help but I can't see that legislation getting through parliament ...

There are certainly a whole lot of people that should not own pets of any sort.

We once had a stray cat that kept coming back to our place. He was real sweetheart so we adopted him. We could not bring him inside with the others but the poor thing had been left behind by some jerk of an owner. He mustn't have been much of a hunter cause he was really skinny. We fed him and he started to fatten up a bit, and he loved nothing more than to come for a cuddle. He disappeard just before I was taking him to get desexed.

Cats are the best !!!

Our newest tenants ( students about 20 yrs old) moved in last week. They had a cat they adopted as a stray..about 6 months old and this tiniest little kitten, who didn't look old enough to be away from its mom.
Today they told us the smallest one died.
It liked to sleep in the toilet ?????? (with the water)
Anyway, she said she thought it inhaled some water and died.

Yes..that is called drowning !!!!

Hopefully this other kitten survives.

Cats are the best !!!

Our newest tenants ( students about 20 yrs old) moved in last week. They had a cat they adopted as a stray..about 6 months old and this tiniest little kitten, who didn't look old enough to be away from its mom.
Today they told us the smallest one died.
It liked to sleep in the toilet ?????? (with the water)
Anyway, she said she thought it inhaled some water and died.

Yes..that is called drowning !!!!

Hopefully this other kitten survives.

We have one that I had to save from the toilet when it was little. It was bottle fed as Hubby brought him home after finding him by the side of the road. He was less than two weeks old. Since then, the lid stays firmly in place when not in use. Oh, and he still likes water. Loves to play with it when you are in the bath.:eek:

There are certainly a whole lot of people that should not own pets of any sort.

You are the first mostly responsible cat owner I have ever heard of. I say most cause you still let the older ones out (according to your post above). If I was rating you I'll give you 8/10 but you are the first cat person i have 'met' that I'd rate above 0.

If an animal is allowed to breach your properties confines, you are not a responsible pet owner. Of course there are accidental cases such as leaving the gate open, or spooked and jumped a fence...but my problem with cat owners (not the cats) is they let their cats in the yard, but they are not limited to the yard, so they sleep on my car, scratch my car, crap in my yard, the sand pit (not that I have one, but neighbours do)

Dogs are much easier contained in a yard, thus they are not a nuisence on the most part. My neighbours let their dogs roam at night, even having a go at people walking their dogs on a leash, when their stupid yap yaps take on a rotti that is on a leash. They have gotten a bit better since I have made various conversations where they could over hear.

My pet hate with dog owners is when they don't pick up their mess when they are walking them. I know someone that had to deal with this, after numerous converstations with the nieghbour, they continued to allow (on a leash) their dog to crap in his yard and not clean it up. In the end the guy had mates that owned greyhounds, after dumping a wheel barrow load of dog mess on his yard, he decided he would stop doing allowing his dog to go next door.

The biggest problem is that people take it out the animals. I heard in Sydney there is a person shooting cats with an air riffle. If the owners kept their cats in doors this wouldn't have happened.

The best idea I come up with was get a trap and trap them every night and take them to the pound so the owner can pay to get them out...if I can make them pay every week, maybe they'll keep better control of them... but then I just upset the neighbour and have to deal with that :S

It does come down to the owner and cat owners are not responsible.

Oh, and he still likes water. Loves to play with it when you are in the bath.:eek:
I'd like to see this - I remember reading that cats hate water because they're more sensitive to temperature, a lukewarm water to human is cold to them.

I'm a dog person myself, but don't mind any kind of animals (have had turtle, monkey, cockatoo, fishes, dogs, hermit crabs, rabbit, pigeon, praying mantis, budgies).

Last edited:
You are the first mostly responsible cat owner I have ever heard of. I say most cause you still let the older ones out (according to your post above). If I was rating you I'll give you 8/10 but you are the first cat person i have 'met' that I'd rate above 0.

Thankyou. It is only in the last couple of weeks that the two older ones have been allowed outside. This was simply a case of the two in question were getting sick and were extremely stressed by having to spend so much time with the youngster.

The young one moved with my daughter to Melbourne at the beginning of the year. When she moved, she couldn't find accommodation that would allow her to keep the cat, so it came home.

While the older two never really got along with the young one, it has been unbearable since he returned. He is a huge cat, while the other two are quite small, and being left to his own devices, he is no longer content to be last in the hierachy and bullies these poor older ones.

One of them had always been really skinny, was loosing a lot of weight and the other would cower in a corner and poop everwhere. Since allowing them some unrestrained access outdoors, away from the young one, the bad behaviour has stopped and the skinny one has started to put some weight back on.

The skinny one never leaves the yard anyway and will often fall in the door, should I open it, and the other one will only occassionally venture next door. He can usually be found sitting on the outdoor lounge.

Prior to this happening they were all treated the same and kept in their enclosure together, with the occasional "outing" allowed only if we were at home pottering around the yard, which they would all enjoy. On these occasions they were so busy just enjoying being with us outside that they didn't even contemplate wandering.

Our cat owns our yard, the neighbour's yard, and the three vacant lots just past that. They're for sale. I wonder if the owner would be willing to just sign them over to our cat :D

Back