railway line construction sends cracks through house

house is across the road from where a new railway line has been constructed- big cranes, machines etc. Its on stumps and there has been drop in one part which means 2-3 big wall cracks.

What can I do?

Unless you have evidence that the house didn't have cracks before the works started you cant do much.It will be hard to prove that the cracks were from railway works.
Next time get Dilapidation Survey done on your house, and that will be your evidence.

Didn't a building surveyor come and take photos of your house before any works started?
Would this ever happen? I doubt it..

I think your first port of call would be your insurance company.. They send out an assessor, who then engages an engineer for an expert opinion. Since there is no before and after photos as conclusive proof, the engineer investigates the likelyhood of damage, based on - time, type of machinery, distance to house, soil conditions, your house construction etc. Up to the insurance company to decide whether they'll pay, and if they'll seek recourse from the building contractor.. who should have ins too.

Would this ever happen? I doubt it..

It certainly does happen.

Friends own a house that is directly over the new airport link tunnel in Brisbane. Engineers came to inspect and did an extremely detailed account of every hairline crack in the entire house, including copious photos. A copy has been given to our friends. This establishes the condition of the house before construction began, and any rectification will be at the expense of the company involves - if it doens't go broke first, of course.
Marg

Agree doorknock neighbours, approach insurance, company, government etc... and, if no joy, local and state media.

Do not however go to court. I sat through the Albert Park cracks case from the Grand Prix and they didn't get up despite reams of expert evidence and vast expense.

It's a hard thing to prove - and like I said, if they were careful they would have gotten a building surveyor to check your property before any works began to counter any claim you make.

Back