Rates drop 25bp

I fixed at 5.59% but I didnt fix for the rate, rather risk management. As such perception of what the rate does from then on does not change.

Which will be charged at the old rate. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Shows you how much I know about this whole property thing at the moment :rolleyes:

Edit: Our current home loan variable rate is 5.25% (not sure how much CBA is lowering it by), and I just looked at the fixed rates at 4.89% for 3 years. This sounds like a no-brainer to fix 100% of the loan to save me money, is there something that I'm missing/not knowing about?

Last edited:
Shows you how much I know about this whole property thing at the moment :rolleyes:

Edit: Our current home loan variable rate is 5.25% (not sure how much CBA is lowering it by), and I just looked at the fixed rates at 4.89% for 3 years. This sounds like a no-brainer to fix 100% of the loan to save me money, is there something that I'm missing/not knowing about?

Is it for a PPOR or IP? Are you planning to renovate or re-value the property within the next 3 years?

a) If its a PPOR I would have some component which is variable so excess funds can be parked in the offset. Most lenders do not allow for offsets against fixed loans.

b) What you renovate and your current gives you a crappy valuation and you do a free upfront val with lender B and they give an awesome valuation? You cannot move lenders if you are fixed (other than of course breaking the fixed term and paying break costs).

Thanks for that, think we'll leave it to variable as I want to revalue it in a year or so and use that equity.

Thanks for that, think we'll leave it to variable as I want to revalue it in a year or so and use that equity.

I think you could still pull out the equity in a different loan but the main disadvantage fixing with CBA is you can't have an offset account.

Back