Re: How we bought 20 IP's in 5yrs

Referring to this thread from 2003 which I have just discovered and found very interesting: How we bought 20 IP's in 5yrs

This thread is a great motivator. Maybe their should be a permanant link to threads such as this.
Does anyoe know how Brenda and her partner are getting along, have there been any updated threads since?

I just gave it another read. Its about 9 years since that thread was started and I wonder how Brenda is going now????

Yup both Les and I are retired now. Well retired as in we don't have a paid job.

I have started an ornamental fish breeding business which one of these decades I might be successful with lol. If I can stop losing the breeders I will be fine but I picked some pretty tricky fish in the south american L catfish.

We own our own home in Lowood on an acre of land with both front and rear road frontage. Only half renovated since there isn't a whole lot of capital growth to be had in getting it revalued for any loc increase. When the boom gets going again we'll get busy with it.

We also own our beach front house at Burrum Heads. Well nature strip then beach front actually. We don't want rising tides wetting the downstairs areas.
Its been split into upstairs with kitchen etc and downstairs the same, except you don't get the balcony in the bottom.

One day maybe I might move my fishes up there and actually move in but atm I am happy where I am, close to Brisbane airport for flying fish all over Australia.

We sold all of the other rental houses. They had achieved excellent capital growth and I couldn't really vision with current world downturns, a recovery all that fast. We took the profits by selling a couple every year so as not to attract too much capital gains tax. Just sold the last one this year.

They were nothing flash in houses, and required quite high maintenance which sort of ate most if not all of our rental returns. When you don't have wages coming in you have to be careful of that.

We have invested in the stock market which is stagnated atm but we are in an excellent position to do very well once it stops fiddling about and gets going again.

We've pulled our heads in a bit with personal spending as the stockmarket dividends are also down and we don't want to go eating into capital if possible.

Will we reinvest in housing again when we think the time is right? You betcha! Just said to Les yesterday I miss the thrill of the chase and the achievement of buying well. :D

Hi Brenda - you timed your run perfectly.

Nice to hear from someone go full circle with this residential property investing malarky and what the end of the road looks like.

You and Les deserve a stress free retirement - you certainly put in the hard yards and took risks that would scare the bejesus out of most folk.

Respect and enjoy !! :)

Hi Brenda,

Great to read of your end game. If you don't mind me asking, do you derive all of your income now from share dividends? If so, did you see a financial planner to recommend shares, or have you gone it alone?

Enjoy the holiday house and your new fishing business.

Regards Jason.

Brenda and Les

Congratulations on knowing when to pull the pin and enjoy life.

May 2012 be good to you, your family and your fish :D. Thankyou so much for sharing your journey with us.

Chris

Hi Brenda,

Congratulations on your retirement! I'm really surprised to hear that you sold up your property portfolio though. Glad to hear you're still considering getting back into property though.

Hi Brenda,

Congratulations on your retirement! I'm really surprised to hear that you sold up your property portfolio though. Glad to hear you're still considering getting back into property though.

Why ? It's supposed to be a means to an end - a positive outcome from investing, when an investment is no longer what you need, you no longer involve yourself in it... (you are allowed to enjoy the journey of course !).. I suppose we enjoy our hobbies and like others to also get the same things we do out of them and we get sentimental about the hobby...

Why ? It's supposed to be a means to an end - a positive outcome from investing, when an investment is no longer what you need, you no longer involve yourself in it... (you are allowed to enjoy the journey of course !).. I suppose we enjoy our hobbies and like others to also get the same things we do out of them and we get sentimental about the hobby...

Must say that I was surprised too. Probably because we confuse the path with the goal?

Yeah, but the property portfolio would go on forever generating income (rent), money in the bank can easily run out (I do realise Brenda has invested some, if not all, of the money in shares).

Yeah, but the property portfolio would go on forever generating income (rent), money in the bank can easily run out (I do realise Brenda has invested some, if not all, of the money in shares).

So it's just the move out of our comfort zone of property investing ?

I think for some people, the path his the goal. Investing is what they want to be doing and is therefore the end. For others, investing is just a means to an end.

Yes, very true. You can see this with people who have enough money, but keep on investing.

but I was picking up on the sense of dissappointment for Brenda moving out of property investing, not investing totally...

Haven't read Brenda's story.. (about to) however just in regards to the person who asked about which shares and seeing a financial planner etc etc..

If i could possibly point you in the right direction... There is a GREAT GREAT book called 'Motivated Money' that covers the power of dividend paying 'Blue Chips'.

Also, this dividend reinvestment calculator i find VERY useful.

http://buyupside.com/calculators/dividendreinvestmentdec07.htm

And in regards to financial planners.. choose VERY carefully.

Without saying any more, educate yourself. It really isn't that hard.

msg me and i can point out a few more things you can read etc to get you started.

Cheers,
Snowy

Back