Re-setting house alarm

The property I purchased settled yesterday. When I went to the house the alarm code wouldn't work. The real estate agent came out and couldn't get it to work either. The vendor has not left an instruction manual. What do you think I should do?

Can't the vendor just tell her the code? Shouldn't matter to him anymore.

Once you've got the old code, you'll be able to change it to one of your choosing.

Can't the vendor just tell her the code? Shouldn't matter to him anymore.

Once you've got the old code, you'll be able to change it to one of your choosing.

We have the code but it's not working. I think the code automatically reset when they disconnected the power.

The alarm should have a battery back up otherwise any burglar would only need to switch the power off to disable the alarm. However, maybe the batteries are dead in which case the code would probably have reset to the factory setting. Contact the manufacturer??

:confused:

Yeah spot on PM - if the code has reset, then call the manufacturer.

Then defintiely follow up whether or not it has a battery back up, I would have thought that would be standard?!

After thought: See if the code 0000 works.

If not, do a google search for that alarm brand and see if anyone else with the same problem has had a solution provided to them.

or 9999 or about a gazillion other combinations. Still you might strike it lucky. Just had a thought...is it a back to base monitored system? If so, too many wrong attempts might trigger a response from the local boys in blue.

Good luck! :confused:

I have downloaded new manuals from the internet for 2 types of alarms when manuals were lost, and even aircon manuals as well
what brand of alarm?, i may even have saved manual on puta

cheers

We have the code but it's not working. I think the code automatically reset when they disconnected the power.

Frank
That's not likely, they probably gave you the wrong code.
If you can't stop it get some ear plugs and go in and disconnect the mains power and the inbuilt battery.
To reprogram it I'd start by finding out the make and model.
Let us know how you go
Cheers

I've acquired property before where the vendor had a monitored alarm and just forgot to tell the alarm company . .

The manufacturer isn't interested - they don't know you from a bar of soap - you could be a burglar doing some home work.

The alarm company can assist - generally for a nice hefty fee - It's a captive audience, where else are you going to go?

The codes are programmed into non-volatile memory so even if the power is lost and the back-up battery goes flat, they don't reset.

If it is monitored, there is generally two sets of codes. One is given to the owner. The other is the Master Code the alarm company keeps. You won't believe the number of companies that use your post code as the master code :). You probably want to give this ago - It saved me lots of money and helped make that decision not to get it monitored.

Back