re-upholster, or buy new lounges

We are doing a reno on our new PPOR... which will change the 3 main living areas.
we have 3 lounge suites. one we purchased new a couple of years ago, but the other 2 are both "hand me downs", and are probably 30 years old or so.
They were both very high quality lounges in their day (much better quality than the one lounge which we purchased ourselves)...... but are in desperate need of reupholstering. (cats and kids have damaged them)

I'm just not sure whether its worthwhile reupholstering, or we should just buy new lounges. I havent got a quote yet for the reupholster, so have no idea of the costs, but I'm sure we could pick something up from Fantastic Furniture or the like for about the same cost as reupholstring......... it just wouldnt be the same quality as the lounges.

Anyone have an idea on the costs to reupholster? One lounge suite is 2 x 2 seaters. the other is 1 x 4 seater, plus 2 x 1 seaters.

What would you do?

I would have thought re-upolstering to be dearer than FF.

If wanting to keep to budget but want something nice consider Gumtree.

When looking for couches for this kids rumpus room I didn't really want Fantastic Furniture, but didn't want to pay a few thousand either to have children trash them over time, so took my time till i found as new, decent quality on Gumtree for a fraction of the price.

For $550 I ended up purchasing as new 3 and 2 seater, Nick Scali mocha coloured sofas, that the guy claims to have paid $2400 for (I've seen very similar ones at NS for $2800 and recently for $1800 on special).

Not exactly high end stuff in my case, but if you keep a look out you do see some great stuff for a fraction of the price.

Leather (or bonded leather I very strongly suspect in my case) wipes clean so no biggy that it secondhand.

Is reupholstering them yourself an option? There are classes for this, alternatively DIY videos? Will save you tons.

I would keep the old ones if I were you. As the saying goes....old is gold ;)

Are they classic, like a genoa lounge is, with a shape that never dates?

Or are the 30 years old, solid and good quality, but unattractive?

Unless you really love the shape I would go the eBay and/or Gumtree option and buy something quality for a cheapo price.

Our lounges are from eBay. I'v had more couches than hot dinners :D. I love the fact that if we change our mind, we are not ditching something we paid a motza for. If we want a change, I sell the "old" one and wait for a bargain.

I'm just not sure whether its worthwhile reupholstering, or we should just buy new lounges. I havent got a quote yet for the reupholster, so have no idea of the costs,
I think when you get the quote, you will have a much clearer idea of what direction you should take.

but I'm sure we could pick something up from Fantastic Furniture or the like for about the same cost as reupholstring......... it just wouldnt be the same quality as the lounges.
I heard Gerry Harvey on the radio yesterday, saying that if you buy a lounge from Fantastic Furniture it won't last very long. I am inclined to belive him, even though, it seems like on the surface, he may have a vested interest for saying so.

What would you do?
Get the reupholstering quote, then decide.

Is reupholstering them yourself an option? There are classes for this, alternatively DIY videos? Will save you tons.

Yeah, thats not going to happen.. I'm officially hopeless at any DIY task.

Are they classic, like a genoa lounge is, with a shape that never dates?

Or are the 30 years old, solid and good quality, but unattractive?

They are 30 years old and solid, with better foam quality than the FF one we bought recently... that is already wearing out, but the older ones are better. They arent unattractive.. just worn through....

I think when you get the quote, you will have a much clearer idea of what direction you should take.
I heard Gerry Harvey on the radio yesterday, saying that if you buy a lounge from Fantastic Furniture it won't last very long. I am inclined to belive him, even though, it seems like on the surface, he may have a vested interest for saying so.

See comment above.. the foam from FF is certainly very poor quality. But I'm a bit obsessive about foam...
I'm just worried about wasting someone's time (and my time) to get a quote for reupholstery...

When I got a reupholstery quote to do redo some old lounges that a tenants dog had trashed in a furnished IP, it was certainly a huge amount (something like $500 min for one armchair), more than it would have cost to buy some decent second hand lounges. (But it came off their bond so I was happy with the huge quote.)

We bought our current 3/2 seater leather lounge secondhand from ebay and they look as new but only cost $600 as the guy was moving os. It stands up to 4 little kids great. But also, sometime I am amazed at what people will pay for "Retro" furniture on ebay - you could perhaps advertise what you have and see if they would fetch a decent price?

Alternatively I have also had a go at reupholstering 2 old armchairs that I bought at a auction for $1.50 (we actually only bought them because we wanted to rest somewhere and there were no chairs). It was so much easier than I thought it would be - just stretching material (or in our case cheap vinyl to kid proof them) over the old and staple-gunning it underneath out of sight, cutting off the excess and then making up some cushion covers in the same or complimentary material with my old sewing machine. If you don't know how to drive a sewing machine perhaps you could get a dressmaker to do it for you - honestly something so simple as cushion covers should't cost very much at all if you get the material from eg. spotlight yourself.

Are they really comfortable? My friend had some 1950's longesuits re-upholstered and spent a fortune on them and then decided they were really uncomfortable. I bought them off her and hated them too so sold them also after deciding they were too uncomfortable. (noticed the next person didn't keep them for long either) After that I bought some brand new that had a 10 year warranty and they pretty much fell apart after 10 years, but only cost $800 so got moneys worth. After that I bought a 3 year old longesuite off ebay for $200 off someone that was renovating which I've had for 18 months and it's really comfy and looks modern. I knew people who had the same one so could try before I bought first. I think they paid about $2000 for it new.

Of course, Gerry Harvey's lounges won't last long either.

I had a 1960s four sweater lounge and two chairs recovered ten years ago. They were good quality. The upholsterer made new cushions - it's always best to do that.

The cost was $3,000 + fabric. We used a commercial fabric.

That lounge and armchairs will see me out.

I had a price recently for an armchair - club chair style. It was $800 + fabric. I'll go ahead with it one day. He's a good upholsterer - used him a few times. But he's not cheap.

Scott

Penny will be interested to hear if you do get a quote. I to have a lovely comfy lounge, gees going on 20 years old that I love. Long not been suitable due to wear and tear and a dog been able to use it per sae. I buy the wide calico and have just had it covered with that, but would love to have it redone one day when I had the money, if it was not to expensive.

Had a 4 seater couch recovered last month $1100, 8 dining chair seats $55 each and 2 Italian tub chairs $550 each.

Happy with the results.

Penny will be interested to hear if you do get a quote. I to have a lovely comfy lounge, gees going on 20 years old that I love. Long not been suitable due to wear and tear and a dog been able to use it per sae. I buy the wide calico and have just had it covered with that, but would love to have it redone one day when I had the money, if it was not to expensive.
There's a guy on Bottlebrush Drive Kiara/Morley who has a sign out the front. We've used him for shadesail and ute torno cover repairs and he's really reasonable/reliable. He even said he wouldn't charge us one time but we gave him payment anyway, may be worth a quote.

http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Upholstris

Last edited:
Something noone has mentioned - is there an option of getting cloth covers to fit them? Not reupholstering, and bound to be cheaper.

I have a husky, so whenever I need my lounges changed from their normal colour to white, I just let him inside and he sheds all over them :)

Of course, Gerry Harvey's lounges won't last long either.

I had a 1960s four sweater lounge and two chairs recovered ten years ago. They were good quality. The upholsterer made new cushions - it's always best to do that.

The cost was $3,000 + fabric. We used a commercial fabric.

That lounge and armchairs will see me out.

I had a price recently for an armchair - club chair style. It was $800 + fabric. I'll go ahead with it one day. He's a good upholsterer - used him a few times. But he's not cheap.

Scott

is he in Sydney.. could you give me his details?

He's in the inner west, Penny. And you'd never get him to your place. He's sought after by collectors of Featherstone chairs and that sort of stuff because he's pretty good. But they tend to go to him - and then have to spend time listening to him while he tells them more than they want to know about their chair (and about his life) in his broken English.

I'll PM you his contact details anyway.

Scott

Back