Re-zoning run down!

First post, here goes!

I'm curious on what everyone's understanding is with re-zoning, land uses etc.

E.g I've found an amazing site, however it's zoned commercial business use.
Now, surrounding the site is residential housing?

If I purchased the site, I'd have to submit an application for re-zoning? If the re zoning is approved I can then submit my D/A with some sort of housing scheme etc.

Is this correct?

Is this process identical regardless of the site being say
-farm land, to say housing lots?
-low density to high density?

The only difference is circumstantial and is taken to consideration by the governing council?

Further to this, whats the hardest circumstances or is it all expensive and challenging? I couldn't imagine it being an easy process?

This is my understanding so far, however I know there is allot more involved...
If anyone can help or share some experience that would be hugely appreciated :)

You're sort of correct procedure-wise. But the important part is that its nearly impossible to get something rezoned to what you want, generally speaking.

Not recommended for beginning developers.

In QLD you rarely rezone anymore, you might change the use but the zone often doesn't get changed until the next update to the plan. Even now there are some shopping centres that have been around for 5 plus years that remain zoned low density residential in the new City Plan

In QLD you rarely rezone anymore, you might change the use but the zone often doesn't get changed until the next update to the plan. Even now there are some shopping centres that have been around for 5 plus years that remain zoned low density residential in the new City Plan

Thanks for all the reply's, much appreciated.

So from what I gather it's best left for the big players with deep pockets and better knowledge?

As quoted above- so land can be zoned business however you can change usage? If someone could please give some more insight into this?

Or if anyone can recommend some learning material that goes into this area?

Back