real estate agents text messaging...

Giday,

just thought i'd ask a question on whether people are getting text messages from real estatet agents?

I am getting regular texts and emails from a couple of agents who i hadn't spoken to in ages....

location is melbourne...

i presume it must be getting pretty queit out there, and they are looking at ways of creating leads....

It was only 12 months ago where real estate agents wouldnt recall phone calls to discuss properties...

times are a changing I think...

ive had them re: followups from open houses etc....nothing like the personal touch via sms for the younger agents...the old ones still call...

gotta move with the times i guess...

would be mighty annoyed if i received an sms saying my offer was rejected though.....dump them immediately.

bet thats happened!

We receive them on a daily basis from agents- all part of random messaging as part of current marketing campaigns. Some are better than others- smsing lures such as "Call us now re: price reduction on 123 XXX St" whilst others are pretty standard for new listings or previews before the property is officially advertised online. Expect to receive more as you get your name on those databases. I guess the agents are taking advantage of the fact that the majority of us will read an sms before an email these days.

SMS is not an acceptable medium for communication.

Sure it is, it's just not a very professional one.. I think it should be reserved for family and friends.

Personally the only time I would SMS anything work related is to let people know of an open for inspection time (if they have asked) or if I haven't been able to get a hold of them for days - but it would say please call Samantha from xxxxx Real Estate on xxxx xxxx re - address. Or similar, rather than an advertisement.

"Call us now re: price reduction on 123 XXX St"

Further to what Aaron said, this message would really get my back up. 'call us'? Why don't they either call if there needs to be discussion or put the price in the message........

Gools

it depends on what the message is. An agent i am listed with SMSs if there has been changes to open houses from his weekly email. I find this useful, less intrusive than him calling everyone on his list and more reliable as people may not check subsequent emails.

Id rather delete his rare SMSs than to miss a open or turn up to one that has been cancelled.

I just had a call from an agent in Northcote, spruiking a house he's selling at the weekend. Given that they could sell practically anything in Northcote for the past 3-4 years with no effort, it's a real sign to me that the market has turned.

i still stand by the fact that SMS is not acceptable.

regardless of the situation - it takes longer to SMS than it does to call, and can cost the same.

It's horses for courses.

If you're selling inner city units to 23 year old professionals then they'll probably prefer SMS or some form of social media.

If you're dealing with 40 year old investors then they'll probably prefer a voice call.

A really good agent will mix up his/her style to suit the situation.

It's horses for courses.

If you're selling inner city units to 23 year old professionals then they'll probably prefer SMS or some form of social media.

If you're dealing with 40 year old investors then they'll probably prefer a voice call.

stereocasting much?

The local library SMSs me when my book's in. Very "acceptable". The type of information probably dictates the acceptable-ness of the medium.

General information (as others have mentioned, notification of change of open) of a bulk nature, I think is fine.

It's horses for courses.

I agree with this, and I am 50 :D.

I have been searching for a PPOR for my son and am receiving a number of calls from agents to let me know about new listings. It takes me a while to try to remember who this agent is as they say "you called me about xyz Street and I have another house/unit your son might go for".

I would be very happy to get a text or email with a new listing instead of having to talk to them all. It also saves me having to scratch around for a pen and paper and try to get the information down. Some are emailing me, but I would be happy with a text.

I do find the phone can waste a lot of time when a link to the whole picture on a website saves their time, and my time.

Horses for courses.

Back