Real Estate Analyzer

XBenX,

Sorry, mate! Haven't had a chance to work out the proxy issue. That will take a little more time to incorporate. Will get there!

Thanks,
Chris

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Another thing to note is your text fields. Although they are editable (this is excellent, I may want to copy and paste things) but I may accidently press a button and bam, there goes all the details (e.g. Suburb).

Might want to make those fields readonly.

Hi Zeus!

Can you help me understand a little better? If you walk me through the steps that occur I should be able to see what you mean.

Thanks alot Chris

Hi Zeus!

I think I know which fields you are talking about. The property detail fields are editable. This can cause them to be overwritten. I will make them read only.

Hi Zeus!

I fixed that you can download the update at the same link.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Apologies for not responding to your queries as I do not visit this forum regularly (activity may be on due to computer being logged on). I will give it a shot again and see how it goes.

Thanks for the change.

Cheerio.

Hi Chris,

Is it possible to make those fields readonly? As in they are editable (I can still select it by highlighting it but the data is not editable, as in they won't change when I accidently hit a key?)

Also I noticed that the search parameters is fairly limited. If possible could we specify a range? As in realestate.com.au we can actually type a figure in (e.g. 0 - 170,000, but this is currently not supported in your app).

While trying what I mentioned above, I noticed also that validation of the ranges is not there. For example I can enter a ranges such as 300,000 to 200,000 or 200,000 to 200,000 (although I must admit it yields results but makes this range makes no sense).

And lastly, what if I want to search for the whole of a particular state/territory, does this mean I am require to select all the places in the listbox? As I remember in realestate.com.au allows you to search all without the need to select all by specifying things such as a price range.

Besides those points aside, these are merely anal suggessions. It is an excellent program. Trust me on that statement, I myself work as a software engineer and I know how these details can be a pain in consideration to the greater picture. Only difference is the software I develop is mainly use for financial administration.

Thanks for sharing this app.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Chris,

Is it possible to make those fields readonly? As in they are editable (I can still select it by highlighting it but the data is not editable, as in they won't change when I accidently hit a key?)

I have done this. I believe the update is posted where you originally downloaded it.

Also I noticed that the search parameters is fairly limited. If possible could we specify a range? As in realestate.com.au we can actually type a figure in (e.g. 0 - 170,000, but this is currently not supported in your app).

This a good feature, I can add this no problem.

While trying what I mentioned above, I noticed also that validation of the ranges is not there. For example I can enter a ranges such as 300,000 to 200,000 or 200,000 to 200,000 (although I must admit it yields results but makes this range makes no sense).

Thats not a problem as well. I will put that on a low priority and keep key features higher priority.

And lastly, what if I want to search for the whole of a particular state/territory, does this mean I am require to select all the places in the listbox? As I remember in realestate.com.au allows you to search all without the need to select all by specifying things such as a price range.

I fixed a few problems with this. I will have a new build out shortly. If you want just a suburb, just select state and the suburb and go. If you want the query you suggest above. You select the state enter your price range and hit go. That will return about 200 hits. As a side note. Realestate.com.au only returns max 200 properties.

Besides those points aside, these are merely anal suggessions. It is an excellent program. Trust me on that statement, I myself work as a software engineer and I know how these details can be a pain in consideration to the greater picture. Only difference is the software I develop is mainly use for financial administration.

No problems. User acceptance is the key to any successful application. I apreciate your comments greatly. I have been going at 200ks per hour lately and this is the result of alot of late nights so I have focused on features first to get people using.

Thanks,
Chris

Excellent! Really useful and speeds up the process no end - thanks have no suggestions for improvements yet as everyone else seems to have covered them for me
specul8

I have done this. I believe the update is posted where you originally downloaded it.

Again well done mate. All the best to improving this software. In regards to the suggestion above, the fields are disable and not readonly.

I don't know much in the context of java, but it looks like to me that the fields are disabled (so I cannot highlight to copy the text in there to paste into somewhere else, like a word processor).

I know for a fact that certain components in Delphi you can set it to readonly, which allows users to highlight and copy text from the component for pasting into another app. But if a user accidently tap on the keyboard, it won't override the text in the component as well. HTH to clarify what I mean, either way it is not important to me.

But if you cannot achieve this functionality, best would be to roll back to the version where you can actually highlight for copy and pasting purpose. Since the operation is only one way (readonly anyway), it makes no difference if the data is wiped out by accidently hitting the key. It can be refreshed by clicking back on the selected house.

Cheers,
Nick

Feedback

Hi Chris (cmpalmer),
I have just downloaded your great little application and it works well.

Some suggestions:
1) The "links" button does not work for me. When working, is this meant to take you to the selected property in www.realestate.com.au? If that isn't what it is for, that would be a handy function to have to be able to see more photographs, the map (if present) etc.

2) The dollar values to the right of Picts and Format (the split of below median, median and above median?) are editable but they have no effect.

3) I have trouble viewing screens with such bright colours, especially the bright green and bright red. Others do not have a problem with this but the ultimate feature for me would be for the colours to be customisable. (Don't want much do I ?? :)).

You have done a great job on this. Well done.

Regards,
Chris.

Chris, I hope this goes well for you. You are obviously putting a lot of effort into it.

As we have discussed previously, we need a more level playing field between buyers and sellers.....one not obfuscated by marketing fluff or dubious REAs.........I met a bloke a few weeks ago at an OFI.....thought it was the REA....but it was the owner...the REA ran the advert for him.....I spoke at length with the owner and he gave me all the info that I wanted.....made me realize some owners can sell their place best......he was a good guy and had the place at a reasonable price......while I was sharing ways to improve the property while he shared where he was investing the sale proceeds, another inspector offered him $1000 less than asking price, unconditionally......I gracefully bowed out.....gave him my number and said to contact me if that offer fell through....

This reinforced that when a property is fairly priced for a quick sale, it will sell quickly....without a REA and marketing and bulls**t.....and REA commission.....

That owner was at the OFI for less than 1 hour......and he sold the property......his first OFI.....his first private sale.....the REA just got the exposure on realestate.com.au

As you are a bit of a gun programmer, I wonder if you are up to producing a better private property sale web site...... I am not familiar with all the sites currently available and which is the market leader.....but I have a strong belief this is a real growth market.....I foresee realestate.com.au continuing to gain market share of the REA sales market......and as they do, they'll skew things in whatever way favours fatter profits for themselves and shareholders...... As they do this, and if we also have a serious recession, I believe private sales will grow rapidly........

If realestate.com.au are smart, they'll foresee the opportuntiies in private sales..........and look to develop from scratch a private sale site, or eventually allow private sales via their current front end.....

However, allowing privates on their front end would upset their current clients......i.e. REAs... i.e. agents for vendors......

It might present a nice windfall to be one of the 3 major private sale sites when one of the deep pocket operations gets serious about moving into private sale listings......they may throw a lot of money to acquire those top three operators.....

Last edited:
I agree tfb

Look at trademe.co.nz, now the biggest RE site in NZ and the RE section was originally just private sellers. The agents had to come on board as it was so successful:)

yes ani, had the nz experience in the back of my mind....

was just having a scan of owner.com.au, and found a property that I have just emailed the owner about......there's something yummy about getting the vendor's private email address and phone number put smack bang in your face in an advert :)

But if you cannot achieve this functionality, best would be to roll back to the version where you can actually highlight for copy and pasting purpose. Since the operation is only one way (readonly anyway), it makes no difference if the data is wiped out by accidently hitting the key. It can be refreshed by clicking back on the selected house.

HI Nick!

I will get that in. I understand what you are looking for quite clear now. I will get it in no problem. I have it at lower priority however.

Chris

1) The "links" button does not work for me. When working, is this meant to take you to the selected property in www.realestate.com.au? If that isn't what it is for, that would be a handy function to have to be able to see more photographs, the map (if present) etc.
Yes you are correct. Will be available shortly.
2) The dollar values to the right of Picts and Format (the split of below median, median and above median?) are editable but they have no effect.
Ooops. I am too used to applications where you edit data :) Ill fix that.
3) I have trouble viewing screens with such bright colours, especially the bright green and bright red. Others do not have a problem with this but the ultimate feature for me would be for the colours to be customisable. (Don't want much do I ?? :)).
Good feature and I also planned on making the actual threshold customizable as well.

Thanks
Chris

firstBruce,

One Thought:
What we could even do is create a peer to peer network that you access simliar to Real Estate Analyzer. You could download it log in and post your property immediately. I know the web is a good medium...but we could create a "property" darknet meaning the data isn't accessed through public site but rather something like this. You could create a better pipeline of candiate IPs because you get to them quicker etc.... Some fun thoughts.

Another Thought:
I could put a "decent" "free" property sale site up in a few days. There are definately some "fundable" businesses opportunities in these areas.

I am really hopefull Real Estate Analyzer is the catalyst. I am heading to Perth on October 9th to work on a project with Oracle. I was looking at property today in west perth and it was so quick to help me understand what was going on just by looking at numbers. It really blows me away. There is nothing worse than "not knowing". I have been getting some really interesting emails regarding how much time people are saving.

Chris

Back