Real Estate Education

Have any forumites furthered their Real Estate education by enrolling in some of the more formal courses that can lead to registration as a salesman/agency operator/property manager.There seems to be a few places
REIQ,Open Learning Institute of tafe providing such training. Has anyone recently enrolled , midway through a course, or graduated found this education to be helpful in their investing endevours ? Is anyone going to use the qualifications to gain employment in the industry.Any recomendations on the institute/provider , the courses offered and the costs would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hound Dog:) :) :)

I can speak from having worked in a real estate agency and my mum being a real estate agent that these courses are not going to help you to a large exstent in property investment. yes you will be better of by doing one of these courses but is it worth the effort ? my opinion no. Most of the things learnt in RE courses are legal regulations ect ect ...

Nothing beats life expiriences and what you learn doing something yourself or going through the process. My 2 cents anyways ...

I did the sales certificate in QLD in 2004 and in my opinion it's definitely worth the time and money if you are a keen RE investor or have an interest in the industry.

From memory the cost was $550 at TAFE and the course was part time over four weeks, 3 nights a week. We had two very useful teachers who shared many of their experiences.

I would like to do the registration course for owning your own agency at some point in the future as well, even though I have no interest in ever selling RE.

I think its true that nothing can beat life experience.. But I think giving yourself a little bit of education along the way is probably a good thing..

Next semester at uni I'm going to do a residential property valuation subject just so I can learn a bit more about how to judge what a property is worth.. :) A lot of it is just going to be legal stuff but even if you pick up just one really important point I think its money well spent.

I agree with Shonnie in that nothing beats experience, but the theory helps too :)

Have done both NSW Cert of RE and have my RE BA Licence too. Bachelor of Education ties it all in nicely with communication/teaching skills and, along with my investing experience, I feel this has really assisted in my role as an investor as well as BA. Having a genuine passion for what you're doing also helps :D :D
Nothing beats the satisfaction of a truly happy client for me!!

I have just done the 5 day REIQ Sales Registration course, cost $700 and I found it very informative.Our group of approx 27 consisted of Property Managers,new entrants to the industry, investors,developers and a number of people who in time will seek employment in the Real estate sales area. I operate in Auckland as a Buyers Agent for a Brisbane based Agency, and in my case it was a good way to understand the differences between NZ and Queensland legislation.

Hi All,
I have just returned from the post office sending away an enrolment application with the Open Learning Institute of Tafe.At $225 per subject
they might not be the cheapest but it will allow me to continue my current employment and to plug away at my own pace.I am not looking for employment in the industry but want to strengthen my property management skills.I self manage our 2 investment properties and hence have some practical real life experience.I guess my performance to date has been mediocre at best and having recently averted a potentially disasterous situation (tenants not paying) this has been the wake up call to lift my game. The management of our properties is an integral part of our property investing journey and needs to be taken as seriously as the other aspects of property investing.
Regards
Hound Dog :) :) :)

Back