Receipts.. whoops

Hi everyone,

Keeping the receipts and locating them when you need to is quite a challenge but can be achieved through diligence.
But has anyone ever had receipts that fade with time, ie the print on it becomes blur and after a few years it is just about impossible to read the print anymore?

Originally posted by angel_may
But has anyone ever had receipts that fade with time, ie the print on it becomes blur and after a few years it is just about impossible to read the print anymore?
Yep.

If you stick them in a dark drawer, they tend not to fade as fast.

You may be able to scan ones you suspect of going to fade, well before they fade.

But if you're too late for that- I've somethims been able to detect what's on a faded receipt after scanning and enhancing.

What is the ATO’s position on faded receipts if they do an audit? I can produce the paper the receipt WAS printed on.

Interesting thought.

Is the onus on investors to make sure that receipts DO NOT fade.

Does anyone have a solution to prevent receipts fading?

And if after using all that hi-tech stuff of scanning and enhancing if the print still refuses to show, can investors be penalised for faded receipts by the ATO? :D :D

im interested in the response to this one !

you cant do much really.....

you could always put them on a page and photocopy them - but that also makes it open to altering them

something ive never though of.... hrmmmm

Or scan them into a PC - something I've done at a previous business.

The problem is finding accounting software that will let you include attachments to entries :)

At the end of each month, I lay out that month's receipts on the photocopier and make sure I leave room around them.

I then file all the little receipts in a plastic pocket at the back of that month.

In the space around the receipts I write things like what I bought, the cheque number, and anything else I might need.

this also allows me to use a highlighter pen, which you can't really do on some receipts. It also allows hole punching.

asy :D

Accounting Software

Is there a spot on this forum that takes time to look at / evaluate the accounting software that's commonly available?

So far, all I have is Microsoft Money and Microsoft Excel!

Is "Quickbooks" the go?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that I can claim the cost of the software, if it is solely used for record keeping purposes of my investments?

Thanks in advance,

Rowan

Do a search on any of those terms, Excel, Quicken, Quickbooks, Microsoft Money, MYOB, and you will find plenty of posts on the subject.

Notes:

1. Excel is a spreadsheet. Any "accounting" function it is capable of would have to be set up by yourself.

2. Quicken and Money are personal accounting packages. For most investors purchasing property in their own names, these will do pretty much all you need. I used Quicken for many years to track my investment property finances.

3. Quickbooks and MYOB are business accounting packages. A bit of overkill for personal property purchases, but when you have trusts which need accounting as well, it can make more sense to use these rather than a personal accounting package. My accountant recommended to me that I use Quickbooks or MYOB for my trusts, since it makes his job much easier at tax time. Note that there is no reason you can't use Quickbooks or MYOB for your personal accounting as well.

4. There are lots of "property management" products out there. But they aren't accounting packages, and wont do as good a job of managing your money as these will. It depends on what you are looking for.

5. What do I use ? Quicken for personal accounting (it's just easier !!) and Quickbooks for my business and trust accounting.

Dear Sunstone and Sim,

Thanks for the info - yes, have been using Excel for quite some time and it takes a bit of effort to put all the right formulas in place...

We actually setup some spreadsheets that provide a financial snapshot of how we are going with our investments - they were developed over a couple of years and we were even asked for a copy of them by a mortgage broker!

Anyway, I will take a look at MYOB and Quicken and see which best suits our needs - we not only need to capture the IP data but I want accounting for shares, preferably with CGT functionality.

So, whatever we go for, I want it to provide enough grunt to capture the data, provide me with summary reports that are meaningful and worthy of presentation to an accountant in Canberra who is good with IP's (don't have one yet!):)confused:

Cheers,

Rowan

P.S. I'm surrounded by "Diplomats" here in Canberra!!
;)

I have been using quicken .. find it very restrictive at times, no idea how good MYOB is. One of the ones I want to play with more is GNUCash, granted it is only on Linux. I do like the idea of being able to change it if need be (I am a programmer), also like the idea of being able to store data in a database so I can do better analysis of money that is spent. One of the things I really would love to add to the program if it does not exist is a saving a file with a transaction .. so I can scan in recipts with it. Maybe also have more comments than what quicken to have so I could have a very accurate description of why I bought things, or what I did years latter.

Originally posted by Nicholas H

Maybe also have more comments than what quicken to have so I could have a very accurate description of why I bought things, or what I did years latter.

G'day Nicholas,

In quicken, to detail more information regarding a certain transaction, open the calender and post a note for that day, from memory I think you can enter up to 500 characters on each note.
In the memo field, on the transaction, type in CN ( calender note) so that you know to refer to it to jolt your memory.
Worked for me

regards

actually the thing that annoys me most about quicken is that I format my pc's OS every 6 months or so, and the serial will not work again .. so you have to email them to be able to use the product you bought. I do not think I will buy one of there products again

Shoeboxes for Dummies

OK - I was going to make this a Jan Somers moment and write a book, hold seminars etc. but just for you guys - this is how it works presuming you are using a computer system which allocates transaction numbers like MYOB does.

One ring binder, one entity (not each property - each entity).

One set of dividers (cardboard) marked Income, Cheques Out, Visa (whatever), BAS (if applicable)

(Invest in cheap photocopier - mine's expensive but that's another story).

Most bookkeeping programmes issue a transaction number when you enter them into your system. Rent received might be Cash Receipt (CR) 00001) so on your first rental statement at the bottom write CR1. When you make a payment for something it will issue a cheque number or a credit card transaction number. Write this on bottom of invoice i.e. Visa 1, or ANZ 1 or whatever bank you're with. These rise from bottom to top in numerical order throughout the year. In the computer programme there is somewhere to apply a job code which you can do for each property so you can get specific figures for each property if you need to.

You should have one separate ringbinder in which you keep all your bank statements, dividers for each account (I have about twelve at last count - includes credit card statements). This is where you store those bank reconciliations at 30/6 which you are supposed to do monthly but no-one ever does.

At end of year, you complete computer records and print out the books.
Lift receipts folder contents holus bolus from ringbinder and fasten with an Arnos metal fastener (stationery store) and place this with computer print out in a Marbig file box (about $5). You will do the same with statements. If there are different entities just bundle them separately and put them in the appropriate box. Box can also contain all those cheque butts, completed deposit books etc you finish with throughtout the year. Then if your accountant has a query about something in your books he/she looks at the transaction number - (hm not sure he has allocated that correctly - let's see CR428 - there it is in numerical order - magic). Hm this is a capital item not an expense - let's see - Visa 238 - ah there it is, yes as I suspected, this person is a complete idiot.) Etc etc.

Well, there you are. Of course, at back of ring binder you have that A4 protector sheet for those irritating little receipts on which you still put the entered transaction number.

And now, the photocopier. When there are amounts relating to different properties or entities you "PHOTOCOPY" it and put one in each box! If you do not have a computer system for your properties - be ashamed, be very ashamed - and immediately invest in one. Imperative if you have more than one property as it's going to get more and more complicated guys and it's easier to learn the bookkeeping with one property than when you have ten.

If you are interested in a day course - just let me know, my rates are much cheaper than Henry Kaye's :D

Back