Relaxation of boundary setbacks (Brisbane)

Hi guys, after a quick browse of the forum I have found it is fantastic for the sort of information I'm after as maybe some of you have come across such a scenario in your ventures or are a bit "in the know".

My question is, has anbody applied for a relaxation on the side boundary setbacks (sorry if incorrect terminology?) which in Brisbane I believe are 1.5m either side. IF so, were you successful and to what extent were they relaxed to?

I understand it is a very grey area that would vary area to area, project to project but just trying to gauge a small idea of where I'm at and whether it is worth persuing time/$$ wise.

I have a 506sqm block with a 10 and a bit m frontage which I'm looking to have a workers/colonial cottage removal house put on. I know that to avoid such hassles I'm limited to 7m house widths, and that was ok until I stumbled across a beautiful tastefully renovated little qlder which sits 8.275m wide. The builder has advised it can be brought down to 7.6m if absolutely needed as it's only a section of sunroom that makes up the difference.

The area is zoned LDR/Heritage Place Adjoining and also has a neighbourhood plan which says that whilst they don't mind subdivision and other development is must be keeping with the area, and specifically mentions setbacks which I have a fear is something they might specifically try to maintain.

My parents live on one side and will have no objections, the other house is vacant and just about condemned -those owners live on the other side of my parents and are thinking of selling themselves, being the same sized block of land, they may even object if it places limitations on the future use of their block and inevitably the sale price (which is fair enough). I"m not sure if the house can sit 1.5m from that boundary and be relaxed on the other for that miniscual little bit? Probably not. Is the scenario more likely at 7.6m??

Anyway I have spoken to one townplanner so far who say it's not impossible, but will cost me a couple of hundred bucks of research to give them a good idea of the likely outcome from council, and then about $3000 to submit it. I'm waiting on the opinions from other tp's before I make up my mind of whether I will part with this sort of money on a gamble.

Given the above, and the advice if it is positive from the townplanners, would you try? Would they really forge ahead with the process if they knew the chance of receiving approval was hopeless?

I really couldn't word this without the essay, sorry! Looking forward to any replies or advice.

dmwar

Hi

very possible but also impossible depending on the zoning, the surrounding properties, the setbacks any constraints or overlays.

If you were doing a da for your parents house at the same time then you could have a zero boundary on that side.

A good town planner wouldn't submit without prospects of success unless you pushed. A couple of hundred is quite cheap to check it out and $3000 all up is cheap as. My missus only does it part time and she would charge at least $1500 for the full da and council fees on top. (she has enough work at moment until probably mid next year so she wouldn't be able to help you out).

You've got a good chance imo.

Brisbane City Council should be flexible when it comes to maintaining character in a 'character area' which I assume you are in. You would need to be fairly certain about the actual width of the house and the block of land though (Refer to note regarding fire seperation).

The planner would argue on that basis, and demonstrate that the insertion of the dwelling would not be out of character for the area, and show precedence, ie other dwellings along that street with similarly narrow side setbacks.

One point to note though. Check with a Building Certifier to make sure that your setbacks comply with the BCA, ie fire seperation distance. AFAIK, for a class 1a, you should be able to go up to 0.9m of your boundary (and minimum of 1.8m to another dwelling WITHOUT fire rated walls) .

Thank you for the replies, I slept on it and decided to better the chances I will have the sunroom cut back bringing the house down to 7.6m. Really do think 8.2 will push it for this particular area, it is pretty strict for most things.

I will have a read up on the fire seperation distance, thanks.

Spoke to removal house company this morning, he basically wants us to find out if Council will "consider" it before we take it any further with viewing the house or putting down a contract. He said we wouldn't need a formal submission to find this out and that we just call them and ask? bizarre but okay, he must deal with a more helpful section of council to me!

Back