Removing vinyl tiles

Hi I am looking for any sugestions on removing vinyl tiles from a timber floor. I am hoping that the floor will be ok to sand and estapol (or similar) when finished. Also any sugestions on the best clear finish for floors.

Silas :rolleyes:

are they glued down? if so, all i can say is it is a sh*t of a job. have only done gluedown carpet and basically, after asking around all those i know who had done reno's, the only thing i could do to get the residue off was to grind it off with the hired floor sander on maximum grit.

hope you getter some better advice than this :eek:

lizzie

youch

Heat Gun?

I would think a heat gun and scraper would get it off. Time consuming.

Carpet layers use a broad bladed scraper - if you could beg borrow or buy one of these - it would help.

Maybe a job for 2 people - one to work the heat gun, the other to scrape behind.

If it's contact adhesived down - curses.

Perhaps cut it in strips with a stanley knife, and apply some kind of thinner that would melt the glue

NOT WITH THE HEAT GUN AT THE SAME TIME! BANG PUFF!!

Never tried this myself - just some thoughts

When I had that job to do about 2 years ago in Sydney, Kennards Hire had a machine to remove vinyl tiles. A flat shovel like device-- however I opted for doing the job by hand-- and used (and wore out) broad flat paint scraper and tapped and drove it under the tiles with a hammer to lift the tiles. I had to sand the residual glue off as part of sand and polish finish. Two ways to go with finishing-- the "Estapol" type finish in semi or high gloss- Semi less likely to show minor scratches, especially if it is a rental property. There is also a TUNG OIL finish-- supposed to be more natural and Enviro friendly.It is hard wearing but requires re finishing and touching up -- to maintain the finish. But then again "Estapol " type finishes can peel off and then require a resand to get off the peeling finish if it starts to lift. There could be new processes around since last I did a floor.

Thanks for the help I will let know how it goes. I will try the hire place to see if they have a machine sounds good.

Silas

Hi Silas, i did this last week and found the easiest way was to pull up the lino/vinyl tiles as best as you can (using a broad chisel helps). Then pour kerosene, turps or petrol over the residue and allow to soak for about 10 mins. Then come back with chisel or paint scraper and the glue lifts off very easily. I've also hired a machine for a similar job but that was on a concrete slab, not sure whether it would be suitable for a timber floor though. But it still didn't get the glue off and i ended up using the kero again.

There may be some ideas in the thread Removing cork tiles

The Kennards option may be the one to go. The instrument I hired had the blades one way from removing tiles from concreate, and the other way for removing from wood.

Thanks Nomadic and Geoff I appreciate you taking the time to answer am sure your sugestions will be helpful.

Silas

Probably too late now,but be aware that many old vinyl tiles contain asbestos,and shoul dbe removed by a licenced operator.
Tools

Tools thanks for the reply. Tiles have come up they were on a backing board so came up easily and in one piece. There was a paper stuck to the floor underneath and this took a bit to get up. We put some stain in the sealer and the floor now looks great.

Silas

Back