Removing Wall in Strata Apartment

Hi,

I have an apartment in a 70s building with a cement slab structure and I'm thinking about removing a small brick internal section of wall that's freestanding on one side (half the wall that separates the kitchen and living).

1) If I can get a builder/engineer to confirm that its NOT structural/load bearing, do I need body corporate approval? Is there any logical reason they could object if I go to them for approval?

2) Has anyone had any experience in removing walls in this style of building? Could there be any unforseen issues that I might come across?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

if it's not structural, load bearing, or a party wall, I think you should be ok.

be careful with noise and rubble etc though.

there should be no reason for a committee to object - I can't think of any reason the committee I sit on would object to it..

You may need to give a notice to the owners corporation, even if you don't need its consent.

The owners corporation is responsible for the safety of the building, so they may ask you to indemnify them from any damage or injury caused by your works. If the wall is not load bearing, you should have no problem giving this.

Apart from this, you're entitled to renovate your internal walls as you wish. Good luck!

It doesn't get any clearer than page 22 of "Strata Living" booklet put out by the NSW Dept of Fair Trading. It states:

"Sections 116 and 117
You must not interfere with any support or
shelter provided by your lot for another lot
or the common property.

You must not interfere with the passage or
provision of water, sewerage, drainage, gas
or other similar services.

You must not use or enjoy your lot in such
a way which might cause a nuisance or
hazard to another resident.
You must not use or enjoy the common
property in a way that may interfere
unreasonably with another resident’s use
and enjoyment of common property or
the resident’s lot.

You must give the owners corporation at
least 14 days written notice before altering
the structure of your lot.You must say in the
notice what the alterations are going to be.
The owners corporation can stop alterations
to a lot if it interferes with the common
property or any support to the rest of
the building."​

I have lost count of the number of times I have directed forumites to the Strata Living booklet (link above). It states so clearly what your rights/obligations are in regard to property in a strata block. Bookmark it. It is invaluable.

Camel, there is very good reason to object. Not sure if you own units or houses but anyone tries to knock down walls in a unit? I want to know about it. Man in the unit above had his dad/brother in law install a hot water service. They did not understand what one of the pipes was so just sealed it off. Subsequently, my unit suffered water damage to bathroom, kitchen, living room and bedroom ceilings. And a section of the exterior wall had to be removed to get to pipes then replaced. This cost thousands of dollars. This chews through the sinking fund. My quarterly fees should go to improving the block or maintaining it. Not paying for repairs after someone's reno disaster. I make no apologies. I want to know who is doing the work, which wall is going.....what it will affect could be my property!

Yes, the householder is entitled to make changes. But must go through the correct channels. As stated above - put in writing to committee.

Hi Angelissa,

Is this small wall perpendicular to the longest side of the building?

If it is, it may be a bracing wall for the building.

In section 3.3.1.2 (b) (ii) the Building Code of Australia states "Masonry cross walls must be - (A) not less than 2m in length at not more than 9m centres; and (B) connected directly or by a floor to ceiling diaphram to the wall being supported

This may save you the bother of going to a structural engineer, who will charge you $1000 to say NO.

Good luck

Glenn

im looking at doing the same to mine,
renovating the crap out if it and im in the dismaltiling stage. decided to pull everything out at once to make life easy.

Once i pull the corneis off this wall i will be able to see if its load bearing, if it is you can always run a lintel with a bulk head to avoid it.

Back