render paints

hi peeps

what is the most affordable and good quality render paint?
I shall be using it over brick on the outside of my home.
thanks guys.
all replies welcome.

dags

hello,

would be great, but render paint does not exist

you have either render (sand, cement & lime mixture) cheap to buy expensive to put on if paying someone

or paint which has additives like sand and marble chips in it and heavily promoted as render paint but is more paint like, this product will go over bricks etc but not totally cover them

would like to hear more about what you want to achieve or are overcoating

thankyou
myla

hello,

sorry didnt see the note about going over bricks

are your'e brick joints raked out or flush?

thankyou
myla

hi all
sorry to say that your wrong but there is render paint and it is applied over brick or internal.
we are using it on our harrington waters project.
it is applied to fibro sheeted concrete panals and comes in lots of different finishes its a membraine and is a form of render.
it comes about 3 to 5 mil thick and covers cracks and joins I am waiting to see the finish they have finished the inside and going to do the outside next chris 0405103761 is the render that is doing our site so you can ring him and get all the nitty gritty on there details if need be.
it is very price effective.
not sure if it can be used for your project but worth a call

hello,

got no dispute that you can buy products that come premixed in a bucket and are trowelled or rolled onto products like cement sheet or smooth surfaces

i would call them texture coats or paint products (as would most renderers)

if your wanting to cover surfaces like brick, concrete block then you need what I call a traditional render, which is sand, cement and lime mix trowelled on(only)

if you want to buy this so called render paint call a dulux trade centre(Springvale or Preston) and ask for:

Acratex Coventry Course (trowel on) $80/15lt

Acratex Membrane (rolled on) $140/15lt

the people at these centres are very helpful

hope this information helps

thankyou
Myla

hello,

yes I see plenty of companies selling this type of product.

My experience in the building industry indicates that people bag and paint their house or use these "render paints" to try and simulate a traditionally rendered house

And after spending 1 - 2 thousand on paints or bagging they then wish they had of paid the money for traditional render.

the remedial work to then be able to traditionally render over these render paints/bagging can be intensive

yes I am a renderer

I just completed a project on a house (mt eliza) for an investor, whereby, as above had occurred

the value adding for his house will be well worth it

I understand it depends on the situation as to whether or not people spend the money

I would suggest you try a 4lt mix of render paint in location that can be evaluated

thankyou
myla

myla

When you talk about the finish are you talking about the asthetics or the actual quality ( durablity ) of the finish.

We're going to be applying some form of bagging / render / paint to our house in the next couple of month. ( waiting untill we've finished all the messy construction next door on new house ).

My feeling is that the traditional paint on render finish is a more formal look and the bagging ( whether paint on bagging , or "bagging " with one of the all in one mixtures ) is a more informal look . Going around our area , I've seen more bagging being used and , to me ,asthetically , I don't see an advantage in the rendered Vs bagging look . We're in a bushy area in Sydney's North shore so there tend to be a fair number of "casual " looking houses.

Outside the look , given that bagging is cheaper than rendering , are there any other reasons why you'd go for render / Paint Vs Bagging with an all in one mixture.

See Change

see_change said:
myla

When you talk about the finish are you talking about the asthetics or the actual quality ( durablity ) of the finish.

mostly asthetics, as you mentioned traditional is more formal like, traditional render has a very long life span and should cover completely the base surface

We're going to be applying some form of bagging / render / paint to our house in the next couple of month. ( waiting untill we've finished all the messy construction next door on new house ).

My feeling is that the traditional paint on render finish is a more formal look and the bagging ( whether paint on bagging , or "bagging " with one of the all in one mixtures ) is a more informal look . Going around our area , I've seen more bagging being used and , to me ,asthetically , I don't see an advantage in the rendered Vs bagging look . We're in a bushy area in Sydney's North shore so there tend to be a fair number of "casual " looking houses.

if you do bag, i would suggest coloring the bagging mixture with an oxide as opposed to painting it, the advantage at anytime later if bagging still sound traditional render can be applied with no fuss

Outside the look , given that bagging is cheaper than rendering , are there any other reasons why you'd go for render / Paint Vs Bagging with an all in one mixture.

it will most likely come down to cover of the base surface and what level of "see through" you would be satisfied with
See Change

thankyou
myla

I have bricks with shallow raking and I have rendered with cement to smooth out the surface, what would be the best product to finish it off?? I shall be looking for a "trowelled" look.

Im a brickie and have experience rendering etc and was considering the coloured ochre but was worried that the mix may appear "patchy" if the colour wasnt mixed well through all the cement batches evenly.

Total area (over estimated) is roughly 100m2.
I have priced some texture finishes at around $500-$600 for the whole job.
I shall be wanting a "medium" thickness.

dags

hello dags

a)with the texture coats (trowell on) they are made to go on very thin ie. the size of the largest particle which is normally 1mm, so your base surface needs to be good

as they are paint products they "skin" as such and cannot be put on thick as drying time becomes an issue

b)the course roll-on texture paints are exactly that and will hide more imperfections with a heavy stipled effect

c)you can buy a pre-mixed colored dry-mix render (around 5 colors) in 20kg bags which will last a long time, but more of an aged affect as opposed to "pristine" look of paint

typically on brickwork raked or not I would do 2 coats of base render trowelled on to basically fill joint, level wall and neaten corners etc finished with a polystyrene float

and then ready for whatever finish coat

most finish coats are decorative and such put on at minimal thicknesses

I believe that most people with reasonable skill level can do trowell on rendering with the right tools

if you break the work down to multiple thinner coats as opposed to trying to do 1 thick coat will also assist

thankyou
myla

See Change[/QUOTE]

hi SC,
bagging can look real bad if not applied properly.
Its a very cheap looking finish in my opinion but some brickies can do a good job of it.
If you choose to bag though make sure the brickies can show you a past job that they have done.
We get bugger all for bagging so some tradesman will just slap it on.

We were going to go with the render paint on some internal brick walls. The paintshop reckoned the cost would be around $400.00 for the area we had. When the consulatnt came to advise on colours she said the rack was too great and we would end up spending $800 because we would need 4 coats.

We ended up paying a plasterer $740 plus cost of paint $120.00 and for the $740 the plasterer did the painting as well. PLastere charged $24.00/sq metre

It turned out to be good value for money getting the plastere in as I was able to keep painting other walls and ceilings

Hi JR,

I'd be very interested to see your photos of render painted walls, because we want to use that sort of product too, but we're not quite sure how it works and what it looks like.

Looking forward to your postings.

RK

Myla , Dags

After much thought and opinions we've decided to go with bagging. As we have fairly fixed ideas on what colour we're looking so were planing on painting on top of that rather than using the oxide. We had some internal rendering done by one renderer and we were impressed with his work , and he was happy enough to quote for the bagging . We will need to get some addresses of his previous bagging work so we can check it out.

Are there any tricks of the trade when it comes to bagging that we should look out for , eg in preperation , additives etc.

See Change

Hi all

Originally posted by ramone_johnny

I asked this very same question here and got no responses...

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28108

However I will be off first thing tomorrow morning to buy some render paint, a roller and a Bunnings hot dog to give this a try.

I am new 3 days on this site, I just used the Dulux porduct above. I used the medium, it is hard work, can be doen by 1 person - though they recommend 2

I was not sure and only did one coat, looks alright, it took the edge of the brick look and I used the color "warm neutral" and teamed it with Dulux "Buff it" - good color.

Got mixed reaction at the home open - older folks 50+ do not seem to like the new stuff, younger ones loved it?

see attached photos B4 and after - I think I have attached them if not Help how to do this. Did it the right wall and the window wall have the paint texture, the left wall is paint.

Celeste

Attachments

• maylands 0xxx.jpg
    maylands 0xxx.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 217
  • maylands reno03xx.JPG
    maylands reno03xx.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Back