Reno 3 bed home for $15000 - $20000?

Hey just have a quick question for all the renovators

Is it possible to do a basic cosmetic reno to a 3 bed 1 lounge home for $15000 - $20000 using tradies and finishing it over 2 - 3 weeks

Painting - using spray gun
Tiling to kitchen, living room and bathroom floors. Bathroom wall and Kitchen wall
Carpet - for 3 bedrooms
New Kitchen - buy from bunnings etc and installation
New Bathroom - vanity and shower
Render partial - just the front and the sides (if required)
New front door
Basic landscaping
other bits and pieces such as light

Possibly knocking a non load bearing wall out

Nothing fancy just a basic dirty reno

You would have difficulty doing it for $20K using tradies and in 3 weeks. Tradies usually add money on top of items they buy (paint, bathroom fitting etc) and it may be difficult co-ordinating tradies in a short time frame. he bathroom is usually the thing that holds you up (start that first day).

We typically completely renovate a house in 5 weeks for $15K but we do a lot of work ourselves.
New kitchen, new bathroom, new flooring, painted throughout, new light fittings etc. Sometimes we remove a wall.
Good luck. I'm itching to get back into a reno. :D

I think it is doubtful you could get away with only spending 15k on a Reno that size. As for timing, it could happen if say you got a cabinetmaker to coordinate the majority of the inside work so the trades would be used to working together. You do get resistance from trades when other trades are on site at the sans time. I'm up to my forth Reno since August last year so the trades are used to working together now and my short time frames but the average punter will encounter resistance if not laughed at.

Realistically, if you pull a wall out that will really slow down the Reno. By the time you get the carpenter and gyprocker in you would lose a few days at the very least. If you get the renderer, painter and kitchen installer in together on day 1 you could get close to 3 weeks completion.

Don't forget it takes some tradies 1-2 wks to come out for quote, 1-2wks to get back to you with the quote, 1-3 wks for them to start the job. In Sydney it's often a longer timeframe

Thanks for the replies.

13 years ago, my parents renovated a 3 bed home - painting, tiles, new bathroom and new carpet for about $3000. We paid for all the materials and had a handyman doing all of the work over 3 weekends I believe.

I am looking to buy, reno and flip. But want to do it properly as in legally with the reno.

I am going to be most of the material my self from burnings and other suppliers. The major works will be painting, tiling, kitchen installation and bathroom which will be very basic nothing fancy. Buy what I am able to buy my self.

I am planning to find all the trades my self
Tiler for the tiling and waterproofing
Handyman/cabinet maker for the kitchen installation
Plumber and electrician for their bits n pieces

Painting - Handyman/Painter

I have found a tradie who is licenced to do tiling but can do other bits and pieces such as handy man work.

Because it will be over the threshold where I am legally able to coordinate the trades, someone licensed will have to do it or sign off on it. This is where it will cost $$$.

Travelbug may I ask do you have a builder sign off on your work or is it under the legal threshold?

Beachgurl, do your coordinate your trades or has a builder/carpenter been doing it on your reno's. May I also ask how your most recent flip went?

What legal threshold?

You are renovating not making additions are you?

In QLD, if you do renovation/building work that goes over $10000 a builder needs to coordinate and project manage the trades. The builder is required to provide home warrany insurance. Anyone with a builders licence can do this who has home warranty insurance.

I can project manage work up to the value of $10000.00.

did my reno for 20k.... that was including a new kitchen aswell.. if you know the right people you can do it for 20k

I co ordinated the trades myself.

As for the 10K, can you get around that by purchasing all the materials yourself and the invoiced labour only be charged out? That should keep you under the 10K mark.

As for my flip, I bought for 510K, spent 50K on renos and sold for 620K. About 15K in the hand which was lower than I had hoped (the christmas market did dip significantly unfortunately) but still not bad for a few months work.

I am able to coordinate work under a construction management contract with a licensed builder. I can have seperate contracts with each trade and the builder just signs off and supervises the quality of the work.

In qld it is $10000 value of what it will cost a builder to do with mark ups and GST

I am able to coordinate work under a construction management contract with a licensed builder. I can have seperate contracts with each trade and the builder just signs off and supervises the quality of the work.

Just from the sidelines with separate contracts who cover the workers comp and site insurance,all it would take is one mistake when someone stands on a nail while holding a nailgun that goes off hitting a person on a ladder who goes into a large window and the whole deck of cards falls around you..

I wouldn't say it's not possible to do it with $15k to $20k but the timeframe would be the problem.

When I reno'd my last PPOR in 2013 it was difficult finding good tradespeople that I could work with, trust, as well as hand over a considerable amount of money to. I spoke to about 6 or 7 tradies - sad to say only 2 of those were in my opinion any good. The rest seemed pretty dodgy! I found the right guy to work with but it took time (6 weeks) to find him but I wasn't in a particular hurry. I did the reno just under $20k and I think I got $35k back on the sale.

So my point really is: finding the right team to work with is crucial to your success!

Just from the sidelines with separate contracts who cover the workers comp and site insurance,all it would take is one mistake when someone stands on a nail while holding a nailgun that goes off hitting a person on a ladder who goes into a large window and the whole deck of cards falls around you..

Hi I believe the builder signing off on work ....this contract just allows me source the trades. I

From experience.

It's doable in 3 weeks. But unless you mix and match with doing the work yourself it will be over $20k to outsource it all. More like $40k+ if in Sydney.

With some know how on how to spend a dollar to make a big impact, and if you know how to manage labourers, with a tight reign you could get it down to $20k.

Thanks for the replies.

13 years ago, my parents renovated a 3 bed home - painting, tiles, new bathroom and new carpet for about $3000. We paid for all the materials and had a handyman doing all of the work over 3 weekends I believe.

I am looking to buy, reno and flip. But want to do it properly as in legally with the reno.

I am going to be most of the material my self from burnings and other suppliers.

If you're going to "be most the material" yourself, then I'd say it should be quite cheap. However prospective tenants may be unconvinced by the reno when you show them the newly renovated bathroom with you "being" the bathtub, you'd have to be able to pull off one hell of an impression...

The major works will be painting, tiling, kitchen installation and bathroom which will be very basic nothing fancy. Buy what I am able to buy my self.

I am planning to find all the trades my self
Tiler for the tiling and waterproofing
Handyman/cabinet maker for the kitchen installation
Plumber and electrician for their bits n pieces

Painting - Handyman/Painter

I have found a tradie who is licenced to do tiling but can do other bits and pieces such as handy man work.

Because it will be over the threshold where I am legally able to coordinate the trades, someone licensed will have to do it or sign off on it. This is where it will cost $$$.

Travelbug may I ask do you have a builder sign off on your work or is it under the legal threshold?

Beachgurl, do your coordinate your trades or has a builder/carpenter been doing it on your reno's. May I also ask how your most recent flip went?

$15k-20k is a bit much to ask for. It takes $10k-$15k to do everything you listed when you do everything yourself. I'd say $30k is what you're looking at by the time youre done.

I have done reno about 6-8 months ago and almost cost me around $15K

plaster painting whole house (Internal)
Blinds
new kitchen doors and appliances
carpet(3 bedrooms lounge) and vinyl (Dinning and kitchen)
new side fence
new downpipes
Minor landscaping
bits here and there

took me about 2 weeks

time wise you may be able to do it in 3 weeks as long as you have trades lined up in right order.

Rendering will cost you money.. you may want to look at CSR express wall facade system. it looks good and a good chippy can install it.

Hi coastal,
I think it is possible to do it under $20k.
The key is to find a carpenter/builder who will co-ordinate it all or most of it, and basically use his own trades. That way he is aware of the tradespersons commitments and the tradies are used to working together.
I renovated a house last year, from interstate!
My carpenter did all the carpentry work, organised the plumber, electrician, tiler and rubbish removalist. I organised the painter & floor board sander. I gave them all each others phone contacts and it all fell in to place fine. I did make sure that I was in daily contact with the carpenter and my other trades.
Good luck!!
Tegan

Back