Reno 3 bed home for $15000 - $20000?

Hi coastal,

You may already have your answer but thought I'd add my 10c worth!

I agree with those that say $15k-$20k is not enough. Without seeing the house but based on experience (have consulted on 500+ renovations) I'd think that you'd be looking at closer to $40k-$45k, perhaps even a touch more if you're doing much to the exterior. This is especially if you're paying others to do the work for you.

You really are supposed to use a licensed builder in Queensland. You're actually not even allowed to split the purchasing up as others have said. I have talked at length with the BSA about this and even with 20 years of renovation and project management experience, without an actual license I am still not allowed to do it legally! If you need the name of a great project manager, please PM me.

I'm guessing this isn't the answer you wanted but much better to be realistic than be halfway through with no money left!

Good luck

Thanks Jane..I will definitely send an email. I am in the planning and learning stages at the moment

I talked to the BSA the other day. The BSA stated that I need a licenced builder as it will be $20000 but I am able to use a construction management contract. The licensed builder supervises and signs it all off, has the insurances but I can organise the trades and I pay the trades invoices. I have to look into it further and double check I can do it.

Sorry what I mean is it will be the one building contract and I can source all the trades and materials. Licensed builder has all the insurances and I pay the builder for supervising and making sure its all good. So using the builders license.

Back