Renovate before sell

Hi All,

I am planning to fix or give a cosmetic reno to one of my properties. However I was looking for ideas and suggestion for the front yard and the bathroom. The IP is in Orange, NSW

Regards
Steve

Attachments

• DSC01899.JPG
    DSC01899.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC01900.JPG
    DSC01900.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01905.JPG
    DSC01905.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01906.JPG
    DSC01906.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01909.JPG
    DSC01909.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 133
Following up on the above

More pics of the front yard and picture of the kitchen. The Kitchen flooring is Vinyl and the entire house is carpeted.
The carpets needs to be replaced and the house needs to be painted but the dilemma I have is the IP is tenanted. Furthermore, I am not sure whether I will get the money (cost of putting the new carpet + loss of rent) when I sell the place.

regards
Steve

Attachments

• DSC01910.JPG
    DSC01910.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01912.JPG
    DSC01912.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Kitchen.jpeg
    Kitchen.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 132
My suggestions:
Clean the bathroom to spotless, gleaming fresh and leave it alone
It looks generally OK....
Or - you could spend time & money with white tile paint to give it some wow factor.

Pressure wash the driveway & front entrance patio - clean the concrete.
You could put paving paint on the patio for some small wow factor.

Cut the trees and bushes and do some gardening to neaten up the front - too overgrown now.

Good luck.

White Knight white tile paint on the bathroom wall tiles.
Leave the floor tiles as they are.
Waterblast the patio & driveway and then spend $180 on 10L paving paint on both.
Ditch the dark wood island bench in the kitchen - too cluttered and dark.
Cut back trees and rejig/mulch the front gardens.
Add a front picket fence.

I would

Waterblast the concrete driveway and patio
(not the $100 bunnings one, that will take you forever - see if you can get one with a petrol engine that pumps out 2500psi).

Get some white grout and put it over the existing grout (its only temporary and will last a few months before i gets dark again). It will make the bathroom look all bright again. $10 per tube of premix - you'll probably need 1.5 tubes.

Is the guttering OK? Looks dirty/ rusty/ full of leaves.
I'd spray paint the fence on the patio in black or white or a hammered metal finish to brighten it up.
Tidy garden & mulch would look good, with lawn mown & clean driveway would really lift appearance of yard.
I think the vinyl looks OK, if it's not worn, colour matches benchtops. Steam clean if dirty, just don't leave steamer in one spot too long or it can affect the glue.
Have fun!!

The Kitchen flooring is Vinyl and the entire house is carpeted.

The carpets needs to be replaced and the house needs to be painted but the dilemma I have is the IP is tenanted.

Furthermore, I am not sure whether I will get the money (cost of putting the new carpet + loss of rent) when I sell the place.

regards
Steve

Is there nothing around comparable for un-renovated and renovated as far as pricing goes?

Are you using a REA to sell or DIY?

If an REA they should be able to give some indication and examples, though will take a further piece of the pie when you sell also

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Yes, I am planning to sell the property myself since the Realestate agent is charging me nearly $10k. I have my friends dad to assist me during week days, if someone wants to have a look at the property. I will do the open inspection on Saturdays.

1) What do you think is a fair fee to pay her dad. we have not discussed the amount?
2) The house has a split system A/C in the lounge. The tenant said the bedrooms do not get hot in the summer. What are your thoughts to put fan+oyster in each of the 4 bedrooms
3) What do you think if I change the 90cm width working electric cooktop (picture attached) in the kitchen to a gas stainless steel. There is natural gas connected to the gas heater.
4) Should I add cheap stainless steel Dishwasher in the kitchen?
5) Should I paint the garage door from the old green colour to cream colour which is common now.
6) what should I do with the front door - see pic (polish it to wood colour)?

Yesterday, I drove down to the house and found the house in good shape. The renovations I want to do is minor cosmetic.
1) Change Door handles and Kitchen cabinet handles
2) Paint the wall tiles in the bathroom. However, When I went to the house they look good in blue except the tub. The photos dont do justice. But it looks a bit old. But definitely grouting is needed. I have asked for pricing. I think I will paint the entire bath room tiles
3) Paint the driveway and porch
4) Cut the front tree and woodchips in the front with few new plants.
5) Built-in in Masterbedroom
6) Oyster lights in all rooms
7) Replace the old toilet (blue and white with single flush) with a new toilet

Thanks a lot
Regards
Stephen

Attachments

• DSC02261.jpg
    DSC02261.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC02284.jpg
    DSC02284.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 72
My suggestions:
Clean the bathroom to spotless, gleaming fresh and leave it alone
It looks generally OK....
Or - you could spend time & money with white tile paint to give it some wow factor.

Pressure wash the driveway & front entrance patio - clean the concrete.
You could put paving paint on the patio for some small wow factor.

Cut the trees and bushes and do some gardening to neaten up the front - too overgrown now.

Good luck.

That's exactly what I'd do, but I'd also paint the guttering and little railing/fence too.

Edit: just saw the front door. If that doesn't go (good secondhand ones available on gumtree) at least give that a paint too.

Last edited:
Back