Renovating a strata titled apartment.

Has anyone done any renovations to a strata titled apartment.?

I've just been reading up on some of the rules and procedures etc... and it all seems like a massive headache!

Anyway, I'm curious to hear from those of you who have done it.
What exactly did you do (in terms of renovating)?
How was the process for you?

I assume this has a lot to do with each particular body corp/manager/tenants etc... But I'd still like to hear your stories!

Peace.

I've just done it. I had to complete a form with an itemized list of things to be done along with tradie invoices and evidence that the floorboards had the correct acoustic rating. Once that was done the strata took no time in approving it. Their biggest issue was having a for sale sign on the balcony. Full disclosure can sometimes mean a better process.

What are you planning to do? We just replaced a kitchen and the kitchen tiles. Mentioned it casually at the AGM and no one said anything. No one seemed interested so I didn't get any approvals.

As you said, depends on the strata company.

According to legislation of one villa I own you aren't even supposed to bring furniture in without approval. :eek: so much of the legislation is just to cover their backsides.

Has anyone done any renovations to a strata titled apartment.?

I've just been reading up on some of the rules and procedures etc... and it all seems like a massive headache!

Anyway, I'm curious to hear from those of you who have done it.
What exactly did you do (in terms of renovating)?
How was the process for you?

I assume this has a lot to do with each particular body corp/manager/tenants etc... But I'd still like to hear your stories!

Peace.

what are you planning to do? i have done quite a few apartments in melbourne

Thanks for replies so far.

I don't have specific plans yet. I'm still looking at apartments to buy. Each one I see I'm always thinking about what could be done to make it more liveable and add some value.

Ideas range from a simple coat of paint, through to relaying carpet, polishing floorboards, re-locating kitchens, bathroom makeovers, installing large bi folding glass doors to an outdoor area. Re-paving courtyards (on title), building a bbq area, installing an awning.
Etc... etc...

These are all just thoughts/ideas with particular properties I am looking at. Nothing purchased yet, but it would be good to have an idea of what is possible.

Can I simply call the body corp manager and ask them?

Cheers.

Ideas range from a simple coat of paint, through to relaying carpet, polishing floorboards, re-locating kitchens, bathroom makeovers, installing large bi folding glass doors to an outdoor area. Re-paving courtyards (on title), building a bbq area, installing an awning.
Etc... etc...

Most of that sounds fine, except for some that might need BC approval.
- Kitchens are usually fine, but when you mean relocating, are you talking about moving walls as well? If so, definitely need to ask BC
- Building BBQ probably need BC
- Awning, you might need council approval as well...

Thanks for the replies.

Another quick question (didn't want to start a new thread).

Has anyone managed to buy 'common property' from the owners of an apartment complex? I have seen an apartment with some common ground to the rear which I cant imagine anyone using. Has anyone here been able to purchase additional land for use as a private courtyard?
I think this would add significant value and appeal to this particular apartment. But not sure if it is possible, and if the price would be justifiable.

No experience here but have read better to get "exclusive rights". Comes to same thing but without buying, and probably couldn't buy anyhow as that would require subdivision.

I think it is quite common to pay the strata an agreed amount and take over maintenance.

Thanks twodogs. One of the other places I looked at had exclusive rights, which was basically a 100 year license which only cost $100.

What is the incentive for the owners and body corp to agree to something like this?
Does I license agreement like this still add as much value as if the space were on title?

Cheers.

Thanks for posting this thread and for the responses. Better add a step or two before that cosmetic reno on the kitchen of our apartment :rolleyes:

And pulling down that (non structural) wall... now off the cards...

Cheers,

And pulling down that (non structural) wall... now off the cards...

Cheers,

Nah, don't think like that ;) I know someone who updated his kitchen in his middle floor apartment. Part of the work included removing the wall between the kitchen and bathroom. He measured it up, engaged a large concrete saw, installed temporary support, then lifted in a steel beam. Few welds to a steel plate, then dynabolt/patch and paint. No mention to BC...

And he isn't even a tradie!

Nah, don't think like that ;) I know someone who updated his kitchen in his middle floor apartment. Part of the work included removing the wall between the kitchen and bathroom. He measured it up, engaged a large concrete saw, installed temporary support, then lifted in a steel beam. Few welds to a steel plate, then dynabolt/patch and paint. No mention to BC...

And he isn't even a tradie!

Yippee! Your example sounds like the wall that I am looking at pulling down. Maybe back on the cards... would make a big difference to the apartment.

Yippee! Your example sounds like the wall that I am looking at pulling down. Maybe back on the cards... would make a big difference to the apartment.

I reckon the sound of the diamond saw might be a giveaway to other residents in the building. Perhaps combine it with some heavy metal music set to volume 11?

The problem with not involving the BC is that if there are issues down the track you are responsible... not BC insurance. e.g. In a unit block my parents own people in a top floor unit moved bathroom plumbing and didn't get BC approval -- when there was a major leak and the ceiling of the downstairs unit collapsed the BC wasn't responsible... it was the owner who had to wear the cost because they didn't get BC approval.

Also - without BC approval they can make you put the wall back up and undo any changes that aren't approved. Also -- how do you know it's not a load bearing wall?

Thanks for the input jkat... the reason I love these forums, sharing info, thanks.

(I'm sure b was joking about turning up the volume ;) )... I'll be keeping the BC informed. I've seen other cosmetic renos done in the apartment block. The wall would be a nice to have but I have to do my costings first....

Back